Monday, January 14, 2008

Soaring with Eagles


Well, maybe a more appropriate title would be "Wishing I was Soaring With Eagle". Jim and I just needed to get away yesterday. We decided it would be really cool to do some Eagle watching. There are areas along the Missouri River bluffs where Eagles are known to soar, especially this time of year. They are magnificent birds and one of my dreams has always been to see one. So... we dusted off our very old binocular (guess what Jim is going to get for a birthday present...), grabbed the camera, hat, gloves, and coats and headed out for a day of roaming the back roads.
After hours of driving gravel roads and scanning the skies, we had to admit defeat. No eagles were to be seen. But it didn't matter. We spent a really good day together away from the telephone. So maybe next week, or the week after that, or the week after that... one of these days I will see an Eagle! I just know it!

3 comments:

AliceKay said...

There is a pair of bald eagles that fly around the mountains along the Susquehanna River in Towanda (not far from where I live) and they're sighted once in awhile. I've never seen them myself, but I sure would love to. Terri has quite a few pictures of bald eagles from when he was in Alaska. Magnificent birds.

Intense Guy said...

There is a pair of Bald Eagles not far from where my folks keep their houseboat on the Chester River (just off the mid-north Chesapeake bay) and I saw them three or four times last summer. You should see the nest, it's on a dead tree and looks like it might be 8 or 10 feet in diameter (scale up a Robin's nest and get a picture in your mind).

Good luck Eagle spotting!!

Ausgrl said...

Hi Punkn, we oftenhave Eagles fly across. They are a majestic beautifully graceful bird to watch.