Thursday, September 4, 2008

Just stuff...

I guess we are getting the remnants of Gustav - it has been raining pretty much non-stop since last night. It feels like Fall is here, but they are saying don't be fooled, September is supposed to be warmer than normal - so we'll see.
My mom has been in a nursing home for a little over a week now. For some reason it seems it has been much longer than that. The first few nights she refused to sleep and roamed the hallways all night long. Since she is very unsteady on her feet, they pretty much had to walk with her. Day three they put her in what is called a merry walker.

Well, apparently she was not too merry about that idea and kept trying to climb up and over. So, they put her in a wheel chair with a rubber tray pad wedged into the front so that she cannot get out. Somehow she found a way to get out of there. Sigh.
Things are not great for her or dad with her in the home, but dad still agrees it was the only decision we could make. He ate supper with me last night (Jim was working) and admitted he is having trouble sleeping. It took him 5 days before he would go back over to the home. Once he did, though, he goes every day and spends 2 to 4 hours there.
Well, time for me to get busy. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

10 comments:

Ausgrl said...

I agree it feels much longer than just over a week punkn.
I am so glad your Dad is spending more time there now. It wont be too long before your Dad is able to relax a little more even though he is missing her a great deal.
I am amazed at your mothers ability to escape the chair, I have to admit I had a laugh and then thought about how difficult it must be to keep a watchful eye on her.. I kind of feel for the nursing staff they must have eyes in the back of their heads and the patience of angels.

LadyStyx said...

Wow. I thought it'd been longer too. So glad dad is able to spend time there. Hopefully, things will settle down soon.

AliceKay said...

I'm glad your dad can go over to visit with your mom now. It can't be easy for him, but I'm sure he's feeling better now about having her there. It's a lot for even the strongest person to deal with. *hugs*

Karla said...

It's nice that your dad can finally go over and see her and she can let him go without her now. Hope your doing okay. *hugs*

sexy41 said...

It does seem like longer punkn. I agree with Aus though I kind of chuckled at her getting out. Glad you Dad is getting over there now, it will get easier as time goes by and soon she won't try to get out of the chairs. They just have to watch her closely.

Tight hugs to you

Intense Guy said...

The indomitable-ness of the human will is illustrated by your mothers refusal to be constrained to a wheelchair. This will to be what we are - gives us a lot of strength and courage that we don't even know we have, when we need it.

Your dad dipped into some of that when he gathered himself up and returned to the home to visit - after the shattering scene he endured when he left the first time - it took courage.

I admire him - just this single act of courage and love - is truly inspiring.

Deanna said...

Thanks all. I, too, am inspired by both of my parents. They and others have inspired me to make changes - which is what my next blog will be about.

Toriz said...

It'll take some time for everyone to adjust to the way things have to be. It's unfortunate that things had to be the way they are, but you will all adjust in time. And judging by what I've read in your posts I have to say that your "Mom" being in a nursing home is for the best.

I'd also like to say that I admire your family for having the strength to accept that it had to be done. *hugs*

Lainie said...

I agree with all the comments...just know that it takes a LOT of adjustment to something this traumatic and your whole family shows enormous courage and strength and you all get that from your mom and dad.

ChicagoLady said...

I'm just now trying to get caught up on all the blogs.

Know that things will get easier as your mom adjusts to her new surroundings. Having your dad come each day to visit and spend time with her will help.

Hugs