Tuesday, October 4, 2011

That's a good question

Jim and I were talking about our President while on a recent road trip.

Eight year old Grandson, Allen, was in the back seat listening.  If you think kids don't listen, you are sadly mistaken.  They may not always respond when you want them to, or do what you tell them to.  But they do hear you.  I'm certain of that.

Our conversation went something like this:

Allen:  How did he get there?

Me:  People voted for him.

Allen:  I voted for him.

Me:  You mean you voted for him in school?

Allen.  I just voted for someone because they told me I had to.  I didn't know who he was...

Do any of us really know who we are voting for?  As I listen to the GOP jockeying for position, slamming each other, making promises they can't keep, I feel like Allen.  At some point I am going to be told it is time to vote for someone.  And I  won't know who he or she is...

Even though I worked in State Government for over 30 years, half of them in the offices of elected officials, I don't consider myself political.  I witnessed the inside operations of politics first hand.  Decisions were often made for the right reasons.  But, unfortunately, they were also quite often made for the wrong reasons - special interest groups promising to do something, or maybe the elected official wanted a pet project backed.  Everything you've heard goes on, does.

Whoever becomes our leader after the next election is going to be faced with tough decisions.  I am hoping someone emerges who is strong enough in faith and character to face those tough decisions head on and do what is right.  We need someone who will get us back on the right track.  Personally I believe the first step is to bring God and respect back in the schools.  But it doesn't matter what I think.  What matters is that everyone knows who they are voting for.  But how are we going to gain that knowledge?  Obviously we have to listen to what they say.  More importantly, we have to pay attention to what they have done. 

In every day life we are told, if the deal sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.  The same goes with politics.  If the promises sound too good to be true, then they probably are.  All I know is that it is time to be watching and learning about our candidates NOW.  It is time to get our great country back on the right track.  Past time.

*hops down off my soap box*

We have been having beautiful weather here in Missouri.  God is smiling down on us for sure.  It would be nice if He would send a little rain this way, though.  Darn it, there I go complaining again.  Never satisfied. 

Have a wonderful day!

13 comments:

Intense Guy said...

We need some accountabilty for those that get elected - campaign promises are not to be idlely made - they may be hard to keep - but the elected one that makes the promise needs to focus on carrying them though.

We need better informed voters... MUCH better informed voters. I believe we (any voter) shouldn't be allowed to vote for any specific office unless we can at least name the current office holder - and if a quoram of voters can't ... prehaps that office isn't really "all that essential"?

For instance, the local coroner's office is up this year- I didn't even we had one - let alone who is in it... I'm surely not qualified to for the next one... and shouldn't vote for that office.

betty said...

Glad you are enjoying some nice weather, Deanna. I'm with you, I find myself complaining and never satisfied either with some things, too hot, too cold, not enough rain, too much rain, etc.

I totally agree with you; we need to research and to listen to the candidates and to really know who we are voting for. Each election is very important, but I know the next presidential election, it is paramount we get an effective leader in there that can help this country turnaround. A person with a strong faith in God and integrity would be a bonus indeed! Reminds me to prayer for the election and our leaders in general!

betty

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Hi Deanna, interesting post. I agree with IG that we need INFORMED voters, not those who merely show up at the polls because they think it's high time a certain type of person was elected...qualified or not. Our country is in a mess right now and we need someone with the skills to get us out of it. I've been listening to the debates carefully and reading all I can about the crop of current candidates and I think I've made my mind up. Should he get the nomination, that is. We'll see. (Can you read between the lines and see who I'm not voting for? Ha.)
I agree the weather is just perfect lately. I love fall! Have a good evening!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

That's so true, it's either too hot, too cold, too dry, too wet, too windy. We are just a picky people!

A good portion of our government officers are lawyers...'nuff said!

God bless ya sweetie and enjoy your beautiful day!!!

Steve Skinner said...

Thanks for climbing onto the soap box, I totally agree.

AliceKay said...

There's a lot of corruption in government offices. We've been hearing a lot about a few corrupted judges and county officials being tried and sent to prison in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania. Have you heard of the "Kids for Cash" case? Corruption..it's all over. Being an informed voter would help, but you can't predict what some people will do when they gain power.

It's been cold and rainy here. Lightly misting out there right now. We're under a freeze watch for tonight. I've already covered up my flowers. But...come tomorrow...we are to have seven days of sun and warmer temps. We need it. We need to dry out.

(i know who our county coroner is. i see his name in the paper a lot lately.)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Politicians are more concerned about getting elected than they are about doing what they promised!!!! The election part is their career, not serving the people!

I would wish for a strong, moral Independent!!! I love the ideals of the Republicans, but not what they now seem to represent.

Our country has let the very loud, very small minority dictate to the vast, too quiet majority for too long. I want my country back and I don't WANT to be "PC".

junyah said...

Boys OH BOYS if you ever want to get me started , politics will do it.First off, the NEXT president will be a repubican werther we want one or not. Thing is who will it be,myself i think Either Herman Cain,or Ron Paul would or should be the choice.To bad they wer'nt on the same ticket as president and Vice either way.I dont have to tell Anybody How i feel about this Poor Excuse we have now for a president.When the Guy goes as far as sending the bust of Winston Chuchill back to england it should tell EVERYBODY what kind of a fool we have.The Very first thing i would do is get ridd of the ACLU, disband them anyway i could.Assrest the Black Panters, CLOSE OUR BORDERS.Give bus rides to mexico for all Illegals,and have Joe Arpio train all shrieff departments in all the states.
I'll step down off my soap box now before iget wound up. lol Thanks for the space to vent .OH and they should be made to teach REAL history in schools not what Congress says. OK im gone ( Independent , Veteran.LOL Y.O.P Junyah

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I agree with Iggy. We need a way to hold these cadidates to their promises. Now they sound like Paris Hilton and her promises she made when she was fresh out of jail.

I agree wiht his being informed thing too. There is no way I know anyting about all the lawyers that run for judge. I don't vote for them. I haven't a clue.

We've only just begun with this election year coming up. I would swear they never stopped running the past 3 years.

spacegirl60 said...

First of all a President in office should not be out campaining for the same office they already have. Their actions should be proof if they are worthy or not. And that goes for either party which is in office. (I say this after our current fearless leader has left my area of the state. He even landed his plane at where I work.)

For us, it is finally starting to become fall. I am sure we will have another heat wave come through but it is so nice to have it cool here in California. Our leaves are turning all sorts of beautiful colors and there is a crispness in the air. Enjoy your fall. I sure am enjoying ours.

ChicagoLady said...

What a gorgeous day we had today, and more in store for tomorrow and Friday!

Like you, I have been watching the debates and trying to stay informed as to who I think will make the right decisions for this country. For too long, the voters have not paid attention to those in power, and we are now paying the price.

Vicki Lane said...

A lot of us are feeling political these days -- and that's good, as long as we can maintain civility and remember we are a nation of many --and many opinions.

Toriz said...

I agree; very well said! :)

This post reminds me of my 18th birthday. You can vote at 18 here, so on my 18th birthday I had a card with a photo of "some guy" on it. Rather confused I took the card to my Mam, and we had a conversation something like this:

Me: "Why do I have a card with some guy on it?"
Mam: "That's Tony Blaire."
Me: "Tony who?"
Mam: "Our prime minister."
Me: "Oh, really?"
Mam: "yes."
Me: "So that's what his name is. I knew we had one of those, but didn't know who he was. Hey, is that why this guy's photo keeps being in the paper?"

I know these days who our prime minister is, but wouldn't know him if he walked up to me in the street (not that he would, because prime ministers have more important things to do than talk to people like me).

Maybe instead of making promises they can't keep they should take the time to visit us regular people so we can get to know them a bit, and so we can know who's running the country? Just a thought