Tuesday, August 6, 2019

DAY 22, Sunday, August 4th

The temperatures dropped into the 40's last night.  Definite snuggling weather.  We checked with the locals on Saturday and were told there are no Catholic Churches in the area.  Truthfully, we didn't see ANY churches in the area.  Sigh.

We headed out from Wells Gray campground fairly early and got on Yellowhead Highway and drove many miles of gentle curving roads along rolling streams and rivers.  On all sides of us were layer upon layer of mountains.  Overcast skies kept the temperatures at a comfortable mid-60.  Despite sign after warning sign to watch for Moose, they all stayed hidden.  At Hwy. 16, Tete Juan Cache, we entered the "Wildlife Corridor" to a change of scenery, more fields with mountains in the far distance, we still saw no wildlife.  All in all we made good time to Prince George and enjoyed an easy driving day.  I highly recommended Hartway RV Park in Prince George.  Very clean and the owners couldn't have been nicer.

Lesson learned:  Just because you are warned, doesn't mean it is going to happen.

DAY 23, Monday, August 5th

On our way to Dawson Creek and Mile Marker 0 of the Alaskan Highway.  Once again, a beautiful drive, but I finally put my camera away and enjoyed the scenery.  Everywhere I turned there were streams and rivers at the foot of the mountains - just breathtaking.  And every time I tried to get that perfect shot a tree got in the way.  It was pure comedy.  After playing peek-a-boo with the trees and streams and mountains for about 30 miles I said forget it.  We've been listening to a book titled "The Great Alone".  It is about a family who moves to the Alaskan wilderness in the 70's.  I highly recommend the book.
Playing peek-a-boo with the trees

Dawson Creek - a Historic Mining Town.  That is how all of the brochures describe it.  Mile Marker 0 to the Alaskan Highway.  For some reason I was really looking forward to Dawson Creek.  I had built it up in my mind to be something really special.  I envisioned a historic downtown with old buildings and lots of things to see.  What a disappointment.

Dawson Creek is just an average small to mid-size town.  They have a small visitor center.  When I asked the young gal where the historic downtown was, she looked at me like I was crazy.  She handed me a booklet describing historic Dawson Creek.  That is when I realized there is nothing historical left.  The book pointed to a vacant lot where one historical building had been located, the location of a newish business, where something else had happened, and on and on.  We found the iconic 0 Mile Marker signs, snapped a few pictures and headed back to the campground. 






Lesson learned:  There will be disappointments.  Get over it and move on.

1 comment:

betty said...

It seems like this trip is a lot of spectacular and not too many disappointments! I am enjoying traveling with you as I don't think we'll get to this area so its fun to see and read about it through your eyes.

betty