Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Humbled




There is nothing more humbling than the power of nature. Whether it be floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, snow storms or in my case... ice storm. An ice storm froze its way through Missouri (an other parts of the mid-west) Saturday night. We had stayed with friends that night after our annual open house/Christmas Party, which we host with them at their house. We dodged fallen trees and downed power lines on the drive home. Since we literally live in the middle of the woods, I feared the worst. I was relieved to see no trees had fallen on our house under the weight of the ice. However, the devastation was amazing. As I looked around at the destruction, I felt very small. I even had to shed a tear over the loss of my sweet cherry tree. Electricity has been restored after over three days of darkness. I grin and say a little prayer of thanks every time I turn on a light. Of course I will revert back to my old ungrateful ways soon (like tomorrow). Unfortunately the photos don't begin to show the real devastation. But it is the best I can do. It sure is nice to be back online!


No comments: