Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Six Word Story

I was watching the CBS Morning Show yesterday and caught a segment on a new book, Not Quite What I Was Planning. The origins of the book is as follows:

Legend has it that Hemingway was once challenged to write a story in only six words. His response?

“For sale: baby shoes, never worn.”

Last year, SMITH Magazine re-ignited the recountre by asking our readers for their own six-word memoirs. They sent in short life stories in droves, from the bittersweet (“Cursed with cancer, blessed with friends”) and poignant (“I still make coffee for two”) to the inspirational (“Business school? Bah! Pop music? Hurrah”) and hilarious (“I like big butts, can’t lie”).


I felt challenged to write my own six word story. Here it is:
"Adopted? No? Fought hard. I'm me."

What is your six word story?

7 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Hmmm....

"The reason God created middle finger"

or maybe

"Waste of space and fresh air"

or maybe

"Tries relly hard usually without success"

Your 6 words is... intriguing... Is it too much to ask for an explanation? :-)

LadyStyx said...

Had see that one a few times before and it always makes me think about what I'd say.

"Has no tolerance for plastic people"

or better yet

"Work in progress, all my life"

Im sure I could figure out more if I put my mind to it....

AliceKay said...

Yep, I've had this thrown at me before, too, but I never answered it. I had no idea what to say.

Deanna said...

Ahhh those are some good ones!

Explanation of mine: From the time I was very little I always asked if I was adopted because I'm so different from the rest of my family. They assured me I was not adopted (and the family resemblances bear them truthful, lol). So, I felt like I have always had to fight very hard to retain my identity - the personality I was born with, rather than how my family thought I should be. I've been mostly successful in that fight, so I'M ME!

Karla said...

How about
Dieing is easy Life is hard

Or maybe
Who cares? It's just another day!


but then..well its just that way ya know LOL

LadyStyx said...

How mean to say something like that to a little one!! Just because you are different from the immediate family doesnt mean you dont resemble someone in the tree. My hubby has some small resemblance to his folks but his height and the way he does things....that's all his uncle.

As for the explanation on mine....well some of that's "Padded Room" fodder ;)( I really need to get back to writing in that again...)

Ausgrl said...

Lived,loved,laughed,worked hard, alone.