Monday, April 19, 2010

Sunflowers and onions

001

“He” seemed to think he was getting my better side. “I” didn’t know he was taking any pictures, but since he did, I have to post them.

Do sunflowers and onions grow good together? I’m going to find out.

006
I have always wanted to see large, beautiful, sunflowers growing here with the white tin of the barn as their backdrop. Hopefully I will get that this year. The local MFA gave hubby onion sets that they were going to pitch. Most were too far gone to mess with, but I planted those that had possibilities. We’ll see if we get any onions – or sunflowers for that matter.

011

It didn’t rain last night as I had hoped, so I had to water my seeds today. The water spigot is down here. I filled that watering can six times and hauled it to the barn. Can you see the white barn roof?

011

Can you see it now? Yea, I’m skinny now, hiking all that distance. A girl can dream!

Next time I’m getting the hose out.

And yes, I know I have some MAJOR weeding to do. Maybe tomorrow…

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the watering can photo... very lovely, and that barn is FAR AWAY! You go girl!!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Unknown said...

Sunflowers will look great against the white building. And the birds will love you in the fall.
It will be worth it all that water hauling.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Now that's a nice husband, taking your picture. Good side and all. the trouble with being the blogger, we never get of ourselves.
Love your red flowers, alzalas?
Patti

betty said...

love your new blog head, Deanna. that was lots of walking you were doing retrieving the water! hoping you have growing success with both the onions and sunflowers!

betty

AliceKay said...

My daughter loves sunflowers. :) I hope they grow and grow so you can show them to us later this summer.

That's a good hike from house to barn. We used to haul buckets of water down to our garden, but then we finally bought enough garden hose and hooked them together so they would reach all the way down there. Much easier on the back that way.

Have yourself a good day today. I'm looking forward to more pics. :)

Toriz said...

Hope you get your sunflowers this year. :)

Queenie Jeannie said...

What a lovely yard you have!! So green and peaceful!! I hope your onions and sunflowers grow.

Where we will be is in the heart of Tuscany and I'm sooooo looking forward to all the sunflowers! I'm going to be taking pictures non-stop!

Intense Guy said...

I too, think that watering can shot is a "definite keeper"!

As for the "best side" shot of you - well, you don't have a best side, they are all nice...

I'd like Jim to take one of ya smiling at "us" when the sunflowers (and onions) come up. :)

The red (rhododendron is so pretty! what is the blue flower in that picture?)

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh honey, I cleaned out all the flower beds last fall and earlier this year thinkin' the beds would be weed free and ready for mulch when it was delivered. WRONG...baby it's a jungle out there. I'm weedin' and throwin' down the mulch right behind it. 'Nothin' like wasting your time.

God bless ya and have a Terrific Tuesday!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL you sound like me lugging around the watering can. I wish you the best of luck on the sunflowers and the onions and I can't wait to see the pics!!! HUGS!

Funny in My Mind said...

I thought those were flowers. Weeds? Pffttt
Sunflowers would look gorgeous against the white. So would red and orange cannas.

MarmiteToasty said...

oh it will look glorious when they grow and bloom :) you so must remember to take photos....

x

junyah said...

I LOVE sunflowers i sent to a place in California for some seeds, they are called ( Giant Edible Sunzilla ) and ( Giant Heirloom "Titans" ) and i got some called Chocolate Cherry Sunflowers for something different.

Love what you have done to your blog looks great.One talented lady... Hugs Jr