Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Barn Charm Tuesday!

I’m joining in with Tricia at Bluff Area Daily for Barn Charm Tuesday.

But first, an update from last week’s barn.  Much speculation was made on the R~I~P.  Curiosity had gotten the better of us and we vowed to find out what it stood for.  As chance would have it, a casual conversation with a friend provided Jim with the answer.  “Oh, that’s Ralph Popp’s Hereford farm!”  Ralph I. Popp.  So there you have it.

Now onto this week’s barn.  I pose the question, what makes a barn a barn?  The original purpose of the building or the final use? 

federalisthousebarn

This Federal style home standing naked against the clear blue sky absolutely drew me in.  I can almost hear children laughing as they play, or see a husband and wife, worn down by hard work and worry, sitting at a rough sawn wood table, giving thanks to God for having given them the strength to survive another harsh Missouri winter.  And all these years later, it still stands proud, providing shelter to animals, and storage of grain and hay from the elements of nature.  It is definitely a barn.

federalstylehouse2

Here is the same barn from a different angle.  I am amazed at how vey different the two photos look.

I hope you enjoy my barn this week!

19 comments:

Queenie Jeannie said...

Oh wow!! They really do look different, don't they! And both gorgeous! You are amazing!!!!

And I think the second one would make a stunning card. Mixing stamping with photography?? How fun would that be?!?!?

Hugs - I hope you're having a fabby day!

Tanya Breese said...

beautiful and i like the image your creative imagination pulled up for me!

Rita said...

Funny how isolated the first barn pic looks and then the second one shows all the trees behind it and looks more cozy. If a barn can look cozy--LOL! Lovely barn! :)

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I too, am always intriqued by what a building's glory days were like. I saw, at an art fair, photos of old buildings that the photgrapher ha then blended overexposed photos was children running in front of the bulding so they looked like little ghost children playing in the yard. (He had used his grandchildren) They were awesome. I'm not that talented, but it's something that really captivated me.

Tezzie said...

Fabulous! Such a neat idea...and, very environmental when you think about it :) Gorgeously captured...I especially love that second shot <3

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Yes, that old house turned barn looks like it could tell a few tales. Love it. I do the same thing as you when I see an old house and wonder about the families that used to live there and what their lives were like. Great photos!

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Very nice photos of this barn, especially I like the second one.

Regards and best wishes

Elizabeth Edwards said...

wow, my favorite is the 2nd picture. amazing how different the 2 photos are. interesting. (:

TexWisGirl said...

now that is a cool find! glad the old homestead is still being used!

AliceKay said...

I'm glad we know the reason for the R.I.P now. It's certainly a lot better than what I was thinking when I first saw your photo.

Great shots of the house that was turned into a barn. It's amazing how things look from different prospectives. Good job!

Vicki Lane said...

Wonderful pictures, Deanna!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

The two shots do look totally different. The first one makes it look so lonesome, but the second on with the trees makes it look cozy.
It would be fun to know about the family that once lived there.

Kathy said...

Since it still has chimneys I presume it still has fireplaces. I've seen barns converted to houses but never a house converted to a barn!

ChicagoLady said...

Love the two shots of the barn. I would never guess how the two pictures could be of the same one, because of the trees in one, and no trees in the other. But they looked alike, so was really confused how you did it.

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

Deanna that is a very charming barn! I shot that barn a couple of years back in the summer and posted it for Barn Charm just recently! Funny! Check out the summer version at my blog! I love your shot for this season. I have been wondering how it was doing :)

Intense Guy said...

I'm so glad the other barn (and farm) isn't under a death sentence.

This barn is equally cool! I love the various forms and shapes barns take. Something about them says something elemental and vital to me.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, we could never have guessed the RIP... thanks for the follow-up!
The 2 different angles actually make it look like 2 different barns, if not for the conveyor.

Thanks so much for joining in & linking up to this week's Barn Charm =)

Brian King said...

Wow! Those shots are beautiful, Deanna! Excellent job!

Linnea said...

I like the story behind this one and your shots. Beautiful find. Thanks for visiting mine.