Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Barn Charm Tuesday

Today I am once again joining Barn Charm Tuesday!

This barn charm is dedicated to my fellow blogger friend, Iggy. 

As part of my last Barn Charm post, I mentioned that I had received a special something in the mail from a blog buddy. When my friend, Patti, commented, she asked if it was from "the guy".  She hit the nail on the head, "The Guy" sent me a book of barns!  Barns of Bucks County, authors Jeffrey L. Marshall & Willis M. Rivinus.  (Bucks County Pennsylvania)





His note says "Enclosed is a little treat for you.  I know both authors personally.  Willis M. Rivinus even has a   "wiki" entry.  If you find a "charming" barn in the book that you think I should 'go over and take some more snaps' for, let me know :) "  I plan to take him up on that offer!

What a true friend.






This book is wonderful!..  It not only includes pictures of beautiful, historic, barns.  But it gives the history of why the barns are designed the way they are.  Today I'd like to share a quote from the book:

"The word barn comes from two Old English words:  bere(meaning "baley") an ern (meaning "house" or "place").  So a barn is literally a barley house or place for storing barley.  There was another word, byre, that meant "cow house."






I really like this barn. This is a classic gambrel roof barn with a silo.   Although in obvious need of some repair, it appears to be still fulfilling a need.  Hopefully with a little TLC it will be standing for generations to come.

Now for a little more history.  According to Barns of Buck County, Gambrel Roof Barns:  Engineering research led to the development of the gambrel truss form using sawn lumber.  The shape of the gambrel roof allowed a larger loft space to store hay than the gable roof allowed.  In addition to providing  more space, these barns used less material and small dimensional lumber.  The small length of the wooden members made it easy to change direction, resulting in the ability to create a number of different kinds of curved roof shapes including convex profiles and flared gambrel profiles.  Storage of silage in silos became popular after 1880." (authors: Jeffrey L. Marshall & Willis M. Rivinus.)

Again Iggy, thank you so much.  I love the book!

15 comments:

betty said...

What a cool book, Deanna! How neat of Iggy to think of you and send you a copy of it! Interesting how barn got to get its name! They are fascinating to look at indeed! Enjoy the book and your day!

betty

Brian King said...

Nice barn and silo! Glad you're enjoying your new book! It's sounds like a very informative one.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

What a great friend to send you such a beautiful book. Lots of eye candy there!

AliceKay said...

I figured it was "the guy", too. It seems a lot of us know him pretty well. :)

Very nice book. Sounds like a great read with lots of interesting information and lots of pictures. Gotta love those pictures. :)

The barn below our place, the one that was my grandfather's and is now where my father stores his fresh cut lumber (in the loft) has a gambrel roof.

Anonymous said...

Looks & sounds like the perfect book for a barn lover, myself included! Is it for sale on Amazon? I'll check that out next... Thank you so much for sharing this, very interesting! =)

Anonymous said...

No, I couldn't find it on Amazon, but they had some other barn books on there... hmmm, I'll be thinking about buying one, now.

Rose said...

I would love that book, and love the barn you posted.

ChicagoLady said...

How very thoughtful of Iggy. He's always doing nice things like that.

Queenie Jeannie said...

That's so awesome that he got this book for you!! He always finds the most thoughtful gifts!!! Enjoy it!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

What a great gift! It looks very interesting and full of great photos. Love your barn with the silo, too!

Intense Guy said...

*blushes*

I'm so happy you like the "barley house" book. :) *Hugs*

I don't normally "plug a book" or anything else for that matter, but the book can be obtained here:

http://www.scenicbuckscounty.com/JeffMarshall/JeffMarshall.html

He also has a nice one about Bucks County Farm Houses.

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

Very cool book, very cool friend! Love your Charming barn with silo and that stonework barn in the book is beautiful! I was thinking of shooting barns today but it's so BRIGHT! Lovely to see the sun though. Guess I could slap an ND filter on! Enjoy this beautiful sunny cool Wednesday Deanna!

Debbie said...

Now that's a book I would love to own!! Beautiful barn, I love the perspective of the shot, and the silo, I can't forget that, I adore a good silo!!!

Anonymous said...

Re: your comment about Alley Spring... I think some people think Missouri is ugly w/ nothing but farmland, but they're oh so wrong... there's mostly flat farmland east of Poplar Bluff, but west of here is very hilly w/ caves & beautiful waterways & mills & springs... that's what i try to point out on my blog is how beautiful this state actually is! And Alley Spring is one of my faves!!! =)

MarmePurl said...

I have close friends who live in Doylestown and so I get to hop around and gush over the Bucks County barns in person quite often. They are truly Beautiful.