Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My love, My life

I would say that, by most standards, forty years is a long time.   If that is true, why does it seem like it was just yesterday that this man of mine and I became man and wife?  Why does it seem like all we did is blink and poof, here we are?



Jim and Deanna - June 17, 1972




Maybe it is because we married the right person and have held on tight as we shared our lives together.  We found strength in each other to help us face any struggles, burdens, sorrows, and heart breaks.  We've held on to our happinesses, joys, successes, and loves.  We celebrate each day together.  All of these things could be the reason that 40 years have flown by in the blink of an eye.  I am very blessed to have had Jim standing next to me as I am traveling this journey called life.



June 17, 2012
Tessa, Deanna, Jim, Julie, Greg

Our children, their spouses, and our grandchildren did everything possible to make this day very special for us. 


Saturday we they got everything ready.  The plan was to host a cake and punch reception at church after Sunday morning Mass.  Then just family (and our pastor, of course) was going to have a good ol' fashioned BBQ at the house.  That meant the metal lawn chairs had to be retrieved from the garage storage and cleaned off.  Since there are 18 of those things, that is a job all by itself!  The menu was BBQ Pulled Pork, fully loaded baked beans, potato salad, deviled eggs, Mex-Tex Dip & Chips, left over cake from the reception, and home made ice cream.  It was PERFECT!

Anniversary Cake
Center Cake has the names of everyone in the family written around the border
The two side cakes include words that describe our life together
As I read the cake, it didn't take me too long to tear up - because that is what I do... It was beautiful!

Front row:  James, Cara, Jim, Deanna, Allen, Reagan, Austin
Middle row:  Anna, Tessa, Emily, Alicia, Dakota, Julie
Back row: Bill, Greg, Travis, Doug, Cody

 We took tons of pictures.  So, of course, I made a video.  The song used in the video is John Denver's "For Baby".  We sang that song to each other on our wedding day, so it seemed appropriate to use it. 

With that, I will leave you with the words to "For Baby" and a link to a video of our 40th Wedding Anniversary. 


"For Baby (For Bobbie)"

I'll walk in the rain by your side,
I'll cling to the warmth your hand.
I'll do anything to keep you satisfied,
I'll love you more than anybody can.

And the wind will whisper your name to me.
Little birds will sing along in time.
Leaves will bow down when you walk by,
And morning bells will chime.

I'll be there when you're feelin' down,
To kiss away the tears if you cry
I'll share with you all the happiness I've found;
A reflection of the love in your eyes.

And I'll sing you the songs of the rainbow;
A whisper of the joy that is mine.
And leaves will bow down when you walk by,
And morning bells will chime.

I'll walk in the rain by your side.
I'll cling to the warmth your tiny hand.
I'll do anything to help understand.
And I'll love you more than anybody can.

And the wind will whisper your name to me.
Little birds will sing along in time.
Leaves will bow down when you walk by:
And morning bells will chime.

by John Denver


14 comments:

Rita said...

It really does look perfect! What a wonderful family you two and grown and raised! Happy Anniversary!! :)

Steve Skinner said...

Congratulations on forty years!

AliceKay said...

What an awesome cake. Truly something special went into that celebration of yours. The video was very special, too. You have a wonderful, loving family. Congratulations on 40 years together, and here's looking at many, many more. Happy belated anniversary. *hugs*

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby, Deanna! It looks like you had a wonderful celebration with your beautiful family. You and Jim looked so happy on your wedding day and just as happy today! Here's to many more happy years ahead!!

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

First Happy ANNIVERSARY, all 40 years, and may you have many more!

The cakes, the video, the pictures, the newly weds all are beautiful!!! And those chairs are to die for!

Many blessings on two great friends!

betty said...

Happy anniversary Deanna and Jim! That was a cute special cake! What a wonderful gathering; loved the picture of you all together and the picture of you and Jim 40 years ago! It is amazing how time flies, isn't it, when we are doing life? But it seems like you both found the right partner to do life with! Wishing you many more years together!

betty

Queenie Jeannie said...

SO SORRY I missed your anniversary too!! Ugh, I'm horrible.

Happy, Happy Anniversary!! Wow - 40 years!!!!!! Congratulations and big, big hugs! You guys are so blessed.

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

Deanna I am wishing you and your Hubby a very Happy 40th Anniversary! I am so happy you had such a lovely day with your beautiful family!

ChicagoLady said...

Happy Anniversary! You are so blessed to have all those children and grandchildren close by. What a wonderful day, with more memories made. Congratulations!

Funny in My Mind said...

Wow!!! I am amazed when I hear of people being together for that long in this world of disposable marriages.
You guys really know all the secrets!
It takes hard work every single day.

I love how everyone was together and those beautiful faces in that family picture.

Oh, and I tagged you

Toriz said...

Beautiful post; and it sounds like you had a wonderful time celebrating your anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Can't believe 40 years has gone by since I attended your wedding! What a GREAT 40th Anniversary! Thanks for sharing it with us in your blog! Our parents, yours, Jim's and mine, Al and Ruby Haslag, would be so proud of you both and your wonderful family! Have a Happy Year and many more wonderful Anniversaries! Dee Haslag Bash

Intense Guy said...

Such a beautiful post by a beuatiful person about beautiful people...

I am too late to wish you a happy 40th Anniversary, but will wish you many more to come.

Sentimental as I am, I love that John Denver song.

LadyStyx said...

Congratulations on 40 years. It definitely makes a HUGE difference when you find someone who is a perfect fit.