Saturday, January 11, 2014

Hi all.  Surprised to see me?  Me too.

Happy New Year!

Is it really 2014?  14!!!  I remember when the world was going to come to an end when we entered into the year 2000.  I happened to be working as an administrative manager at a data center in 1999.  The dire predictions were everything was going to stop working.  Everything from clocks to elevators to every other computer program to mankind.  Period.  Programmers spent years leading up to it rewriting code to go past 1999.  I have to wonder why nobody thought about the fact, when the original code was written, that at some point we would get past the year 19something.  We were all on high alert as we neared midnight that year.  Many of our technical staff spent their New Year's Eve in the computer room, monitoring things in case everything exploded (OK, maybe I exaggerate a bit).  The rest of us were on call... just in case.  Fourteen years later, all of that is just a faded memory.

Another faded memory is that it has been 10 years since I was first diagnosed with breast cancer.  One mastectomy, a number of operations, and a bit of chemo later - 10 cancer free years!  My most vivid memory was when I talked to the surgeon after the operation, I asked him how bad the cancer was.  He responded, "you don't have cancer... I got it all".  Now that is definitely something to celebrate.

2014 has brought weather challenges to much of the Nation.  Deep freezes where there is usually no freeze.  We had quite a bit of snow and days of below zero temperatures, but nothing like our friends "out East" and the upper Midwest.  All in all we have been the lucky ones.  Tomorrow's weather prediction is around 60 (I know - crazy!)  We will finally get our artificial Christmas tree out of the living room.  The box has to be drug outside to get to where we store it.  Dragging it through snow was not an option.  So tomorrow is the day!

Did you make New Year Resolutions?  I leaned years ago that the best way to set myself up for failure is to make resolutions.  We did start working out again, after shamefully "letting ourselves go" all of last year.  We opted for good old fashioned walking, throwing a ball back and forth while we are walking (which makes me run a lot because I'm so clumsy at catching a ball), hand weights and stuff like that, rather than paying for a gym membership that we won't use because it takes us too long to get there.

I have some posts to be written in the next couple of weeks.  A big, long overdue one, is of our trip last Fall to the John C. Campbell Folk School in North Caroline.  What a wonderful experience.  I planned on coming home and shout into the blogo-sphere how great it was.  Life got in the way.  Over and over I've told Jim that we would be in trouble if we lived closer, because I would be taking classes all of the time.  Stay tuned for that post.

Here's to all - Happy New Year!


10 comments:

Steve Skinner said...

Wishing you the best in the new year!

Funny in My Mind said...

I realize people beat cancer every day but after losing our parents to cancer shortly after being diagnosed (all 3 within months), it leaves a bad feeling for me. How exciting to hear the survival stories!! 10 years!! How amazing!
I really had to doubt whether to finish the winter in hibernation, it was just that insane. The acorns called it (of course we see a million acorns every year as we have 78 oaks!)
Now we hope to have a nice green spring. I am looking forward to being back here more frequently and hope to see you too!!
Happy new year!!!!
(That Bass outlet store is the devil, I tell you!)

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

First Congratulations on being C FREE!

Your walking sounds like a sight to see. I'm sure the blacksmith would make sure I didn't catch the ball just to see me bend over and over. But of course not your hubby!

I can't wait to see your story on John c Campbell. We are headed back that way in July if all the stars line up! Wanna come with us?!

Hoping to get together soon over a bottle or two of wine.

Vicki Lane said...

Wonderful to know about the ten year mark! Congratulations!

I'll be teaching writing at JCC in 2015 --first week of June -- maybe you'll be back then!

AliceKay said...

Congratulations on being cancer free for the past 10 years. I hope the nasty "C" stays away for the rest of your life.

I finally took down our artificial tree Thursday afternoon and dragged it to the shed across the lawn. Good thing the ground was frozen and there were lots of pine needles on the ground to help me get it there without any damage to the box. (and good thing there was no snow between the porch and shed)

I know how life gets in the way when intentions are quite the opposite. I've had that happen to me a lot in the past year. I'll be looking forward to hear about your trip. Sounds intriguing. :)

betty said...

I too remember the hoopla with the change to 2000! And for nothing, LOL. I remember months of preparation, etc. I am so thankful that surgeon got all your cancer, Deanna. Its such a terrible thing to deal with, so I'm glad you are cancer free!!!

LOL with our warm temps here, our Christmas tree box still sits in the corner of the room waiting to go out to the garage :)

Nope, no resolutions here; just trying to be more health aware. We too are walking over a gym's membership. Now I just need to pull myself away from the table quicker :)

Happy New Year!

betty

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Congratulations on your 10 yr C-free anniversary, Deanna! That is awesome. Good to see you posting again, I have been wondering about ya! Take care.

ChicagoLady said...

Happy New Year! Congrats on your 10 years free of cancer!

Intense Guy said...

I am happy to see you post and happier that you have beat the big "C".

I too remember the hype and hysteria around the Y2K thing... It was short sighted to not program in the full 4-digit year - but - computer memory was VERY expensive back then - it's so easy to forget given how much is available now and so cheaply!!! My first HARD drive was only 5 MEGABYTES!! (That isn't a typo!!) and it cost well over $400!

Pix Under the Oaks said...

Congratulations Deanna on your 10C free years! My sis-in-law celebrated 21 years!

I am wishing you a Happy New Year that is everything you want it to be!!!