Sunday, September 6, 2015

A well planned mistake

The funeral home where Jim works wanted him to work a service yesterday.  He told them no because I had told him we had plans.  Tessa and Bill were having a fish fry and we were providing a lot of the fish.  So first thing yesterday morning I doctored up some beans and put them in the crock pot to cook.  Then I tried a new recipe that I found on Pinterest - Apple Pie Cookies.  Then, because I have a cooking compulsion, I also made lemon bars.

The fish fry was at 4:30, but we headed out early so we could stop in at a few antique stores (no, we didn't buy anything) and then get there early so we would have penty of time to visit.  The drive to their house along 179 was very pleasant on this warm sunny day.  As we drove up their drive, James came running out of the house with the biggest grin on his face - like he knew a joke that we didn't know.  We weren't even out of the car when he yelled "You have the wrong day!  The wrong day, Grandma!"   Oh no!  There is nothing like being a day early for a party.

This turned out to one of my best mistakes in a  long time.  We were able to catch the whole family in the bustle of cleaning house - dirt swept into piles on the floor, James taking trash out, Anna dusting... all sorts of cleaning going on.  It warmed my heart to know I am not the only one who goes into a cleaning frenzy when I know guests are coming.  I've been known to invite people over just because I know it will make me clean.  I offered to help, but Tessa declined to let me (just as I knew she would).

So we stood in the way of everybody trying to do their chores and bothered them with chit chat.  We had a great time and scarfed up the apple pie cookies before the afternoon was over.  So now I have officially brought only two dishes of food and fish to this party.  There is nothing like two parties in two day!

7 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

OMG, that is too funny. I can only imagine you went home and baked some more. Sorry Jim, for your loss of income.

betty said...

The more the merrier when it means get togethers with family and those we love :)

BETTY

Intense Guy said...

Laffs. Oops. :) Now what would you have done if Tessa put you to work? :)

Hugs!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

First of all, I want to say that it is good to see you blogging again! I've been wondering about you.

That is pretty funny being a day early for the party, but it sounds like you all had a great time twice!

ChicagoLady said...

I guess you were really eager to spend the day with them, huh? LOL

AliceKay said...

Sounds like loads of fun to me! :)

Flat Creek Farm said...

Boy, I so enjoyed this post! Been caught a few times with piles of dirt and dust and pet hair waiting to be swept up into the dust pan! Enjoyed your turkey story too. Life in the country -- there just is nothin' better! -Tammy