Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Picture Perfect?

We had an impromptu family get together Sunday. Did you know Sunday was Grandparents day? Me neither. Out of the blue son Greg called and invited themselves over. And he even suggested I invite Tessa and Julie (and of course their families too). I took him up on his suggestion. Of course none of us knew it was grandparents day. It was just a good day to get together.

Tessa and her kids could make it. Julie? Not such a good idea. They have the creepie crud going around. Staying home for them is a really good idea.

Remember now, I had no plans for company. So how does that go… drop, punt, kick? You get the gist. While Jim was swishing bathroom stools (please tell me how they get so gross when there are only two of us here – on second thought, let’s not go there) I took stock of the cupboards and make a grocery store run.

It was a “picture perfect” day. The menu was kept simple on purpose. We provided grilled burgers and hotdogs, baked beans, chips. We had Mex-Tex dip for appetizer. Lots of soda and Beeritas for our thirst quenchers. (Beerita and Mex-Tex dip to follow).

I had no plans to take pictures – but how can a grandma resist? They were swinging, playing in the sandbox, climbing trees and just being so picture perfect cute. I HAD to take pictures!

I have to backtrack here to several months ago. Jim was very proud of some pictures he took. I can’t even remember now what they were of… but they were totally AWESOME! And they turned out to be totally NON EXISTENT! Because there was no card in the camera. And the camera kindly flashes a message that says “No Card”…. hint, hint. I got a lot of mileage out of that one.

Flash forward to Sunday. I took some awesome pictures. Almost 2 year old Reagan flashed me some killer looks. Allen and Anna posed while climbing a tree. James took his turn in the same tree, trying to keep up with the much older Allen and Anna. Got some shots of Tess, Greg and Alicia sitting and chatting. Even got a picture of Greg and Jim together – I could see how much they have come to look like each other. And guess what…

You think you already guessed it? Surely not. I’ll bet you are going to guess there was no card in the camera. Come on folks, I wouldn’t be that stupid! I already made fun of hubby for that mistake – isn’t going to no way happen to me.

All I’ll tell you is that I don’t have any pictures to share. I’ve yet to figure out the reason why. I think Whiskey ate them.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I promised two recipes:

----------------------------------------------------------

Beerita

12 oz. can limeade, 3/4 cup Tequila, 3 beers

Mix all ingredients together in large pitcher. Add ice until pitcher is full. Serve over ice.

I like to serve this because they taste oh so good, and one pitcher goes a very long ways. I’ve never seen anyone “get stupid” when drinking this drink.

---------------------------------------------------------

Mex-Tex Dip

1 large can refried beans, 1 carton (6 oz) sour cream, 1 pkg. taco seasoning, 1 bunch green onions (chopped), 1 tomato (chopped), 1 can black olives (sliced), 1 pkg. (8 oz.) finely shredded cheddar cheese (I like to shred my own rather than use the pre-packaged “plastic” cheese).

Spread refried beans over an entire pizza pan. Mix sour cream and taco seasoning together, then spread over the refried beans. Layer the remaining ingredients in order. Serve with tortilla chips.

no card – no card – no card – no card – no card

16 comments:

Leah said...

I didn't know it was grandparents day! I hope my Grandma didn't know either. . . Otherwise I feel bad. ;-)

Sherri Murphy said...

Whoops! I missed grandparent's day!

Recipes sound delicious. Gotta' run.

Intense Guy said...

Sure, blame the dog.... LOL!

Oh well, you won't have pictures but you will have memories engraved in your head - and such pleasant ones too!

I hope Julie and her "crew" feel better soon.

AliceKay said...

Memories are good, whether printed on paper, saved on a camera card or, as Iggy said, engraved in your head. Sounds like you had a great day with the family who were able to make it to the get-together. I hope Julie and her family are feeling better soon, too.

PictureGirl said...

Thanks for the great recipes.

Hope you find your pictures. hee hee

Sounds like you had a great time. I did not know it was grandparents day till the wee hours of the next morning. I know my daughter didn't know either, she never forgets.

Thanks for a nice post to read.

jewelzmomof4 said...

Sounds like you all had a great time mom wish we could have been there. Everyone here is starting to recover nicely. Travis is back at school and Dakota is no longer coughing non stop and me..... well.... I am out of a certain room FINALLY!!!! lol.

LadyStyx said...

I didn't forget...bit since there are no longer any grandparents on my side of the family, the day has no real meaning for me..at least not blood-wise. My hubby did manage to call his gramma on Saturday though....

Anonymous said...

Was the picture card full? That stinks.

Glad you had a good time though.

Karla said...

Hope Julie and her's are feeling better..Sounds like they missed a really good time.
Poor Whiskey gets blamed for everything!! LOL (was that the dog we were talking about or Jack Daniels?)
Gives the receipes to my son..he loves mexican food..(me too if its not toooo hot)

Lainie said...

LMAO no card no card no card

Lainie said...

Oh btw...thanks for the recipes. Will try them both! (And I am finally all caught up on your blog!)

Nana said...

Mmmmmm. I wish I drank cuz that stuff sounds GOOD!!!

Toriz said...

Sounds like a great day! :)

I knew it was Grandparents' Day, but only realised just as the day was ending... It's amazing what pops in to your head while sat in hospital waiting rooms. LOL!

ChicagoLady said...

Sounds like everyone had a fun time on Sunday, even if there aren't any pictures to show for it, lol.

Anonymous said...

Hey Punkn, HUGS, so glad to hear from you and omg your story about the camera is funny and so sounds like something I would do LOL..I cant wait to have a look at your blog girl, right now Ive got to get to work though...hugsssss

Queenie Jeannie said...

Yummy recipes and it sounded like a very fabulous day! (Happy Grandparents Day!!) Sooooo sorry about the card issue - that realllly stinks! My problem is having "low battery" so now I always have a fully charged spare ready to go.

TGIF!!!