Sunday, September 27, 2009

So stinkin’ proud

Never in a million years did I think I would be spending my Wednesday evenings going to Football games.  But here we are watching our oldest grandson, Travis, playing middle school football.

When we were in 7th grade (they didn’t call it Middle School back then) it was red flag football in the local park.  No jerseys, pads, or helmets.  When my kids were in middle school they played football on the grass fields of the middle school. 

007

  But these days the kids play under the lights of the high school stadium.  They even have an announcer.  It was kind of strange to hear Travis’ name called out every time he blocked or ran the ball.  It has been a lot of years since I’ve gone to a football game.  I’d forgotten how hard those darn bleachers can be!  Next week we’ll definitely bring a blanket to sit on.

  009

Travis is number 70 (right next to the kicker).  I am very proud of him for his dedication to the commitment he has made to his team.  His grades have to be kept high.  They practice every night after school.  He walks home because Julie has a day care and his dad is a fire fighter.  They’ve told him they would find a way to pick him up from school but he has chosen to walk the almost 5 miles home and counts it as an extra workout.  I’m very proud of him.  And the stinkin’ part?  Have you ever smelled a 13 year old after a game of football?  Enough said.

011

Last week I decided to make a big change in my life.  I keep promising myself that I will get in shape.  I keep promising myself that I will walk a few miles every day.  I keep breaking my promises.  Last week I put my money where my mouth is and joined a fitness club.

010

On day one I met with a trainer to be evaluated and had a fitness program set out for me.  Day two found me back at the gym to be shown how to use the machines.  Day three had me returning on my own for my first workout.  It felt so good!  They have showers there but I was in a hurry.  So I hustled out and headed for work.  I was very proud of myself. 

It is a good thing I work alone.  At some point  I raised my arm to grab something from a top shelf.  Phew!  I was so stinkin’!  I know… too much information.  But it is my blog so I’m entitled.  And yes, I returned to the gym two more times last week.  I am very committed.  Wish me luck and send deodorant…

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Good Luck", she says as she pops another donut hole in her mouth.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Queenie Jeannie said...

Keep going!! So proud of you!!!!

Tosses the Secret to my stinky friend.....LOL!

Leah said...

How exciting about your grandson! Very cool! :-D

And congrats on joining a gym. Always a difficult move to make.

Intense Guy said...

I saw that about Travis walking home 5 miles everyday after practice. That all by itself is impressive.

I hope you a) figure out how the shower knob works at the gym b) stick with it c) regardless of how you smell, you feel great!

Hugs

Toriz said...

Way to go Travis! :)

And congrats to you on joining the gym. :)

I come home and have a bath after I go to the gym. For one thing, I prefer baths. For another, there's no way I'm using those showers. I'll keep my privacy, thank you very much!

jewelzmomof4 said...

I am very proud of you Mom for joining the Gym I know you can do it!!!!! I am also very proud of my son Travis he is one great boy and a very dedicated student and football player. He is working very hard to keep his grades up so he can play.

AliceKay said...

5 miles is a long way to walk for a 13-year old, so way to go, Travis. It's good stamina training. Football is a tough sport. Good luck to him and his team. I've spent a lot of afternoons and nights sitting on those hard bleachers for football games (high school and college), soccer games and swim meets. They don't get any softer. Even with blankets or our stadium cushions, they still get hard after awhile. Have fun at the games. (i know you will)

That's great that you joined a gym. I wish I had the ambition to do something like that. PT just about killed me two years ago, but I've been thinking of going back for more torture. I hope it all works out well for you. Good luck! *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Yay for your grandson punkn, I remember going to the football games days and I hated those hard bleachers also. Whoooooohoooooo on you going to the gym girl, I wish you the best of luck with it I know how hard it is. HUGS

Karla said...

Shades of Friday night lights when my oldest son was in highschool. He wasn't that great at football..but coach loved him..he used him as the "heart of the team".."If everyone had Jory's heart we would win these games" They went to the playoffs both years that he played Varsity! He also ran track. And his best friend was a tackle that's name got called on every play "Joe Givens on the tackle" Jory even got a sack on a quarterback once.

Yes I know about the stinking boys after football..I had 3 in my house..for some reason Joe and Bud would come to my house to change clothes before they went out! LOL

I wish I could work out..that would be so super..my b/s would go down and I would lose some weight..

Queenie Jeannie said...

Back again to let you know that The Bella takes after her father....(when she's bad that is, lol!!!)

Travis Erwin said...

With a great name like that he is bound for football stardom. ;)

LadyStyx said...

Awesome. Great job. Keep it up, we know you can do it!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Punkn, I wanted you do know I included you in a award blog thingy on me blog, HUGS

junyah said...

Anybody that takes the time to go to the gym has all of my respect in the world.I got as far as bringing home a tredmill from the Moody road mall (town dump) and i did put a few miles on it, but when we moved it stayed behind and ended up in the dumpester with the rest of that place. And.. walking is the best exerzise there is , good for the heart. way to go both Travis and Punkies.. Hugs ya Jr

Nana said...

Good for you and your decision to get in shape. I hope you don't smell as bad as your grandson does after a football game.(that is when you are done working out, of course)

I have two boys that played also and a husband who helps out coaching, so Yes I know that smell!!

Anonymous said...

hi everyone. I'm really into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that meticulous make. The prices due to the fact that the velcros were approximately 200 pounds on every page. But finally I bring about this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I really want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good evening friends. I'm really into shoes and I had been digging for the sake of that singular model. The prices for the boots were about 240 dollars everwhere. But completely I found this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I really like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hi friends. I'm really into shoes and I was looking allowing for regarding that singular make. The prices due to the fact that the velcros are around 350 pounds on every site. But completely I found this area selling them for half price. I in reality want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good evening friends. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching for the sake of that meticulous model. The prices seeking the velcros were all over 330 dollars everwhere. But for all I base this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order those. what can you say about it?