Thursday, October 1, 2009

Oops!

It seems I took an unannounced and unintentional break.

Things have been crazy around here. I've been checking up on the blogs every time I've had 5 extra minutes here and there, but tonight when I logged on, I took a look.... then took another look.... then rubbed my eyes.... and thought... "Is that post really four days old?" Nah, can't be.
Whiskey looked at me with those demon eyes of his and shook his head up and down as if to say, "oh yes, it can!" (he never takes my side on anything).

Anyway, like everyone else, life is busy. We have our Fall Festival at Church this weekend and I've been helping get ready for that. Our little group of bandits (several friends and Jim and me) are singing. We've pulled together a hodge podge of Gospel, oldies, and old time country. We've done this for a number of years now (I've lost track how many) and I really think this will be it. People have to be getting tired of the same old stuff, plus we're not all that good to begin with.

Travis had another football game last night, playing against the only other undefeated team (four teams from the two middle schools play against each other). And they won! It was pretty exciting to watch. One of the parents from the opposing team was sitting behind us and were saying things like, "they are off their game tonight", or "they are usually better than this" and of course the refs were making all the wrong calls. I just quietly grinned the way only a proud grandma can and kept my mouth shut - well kept it shut except when I was yelling "Go Travis!" or "Go Black" or ... well you know the way it is.

Dakota had his 8th birthday on Monday. We lost out to taking him shopping on his birthday because his other grandma was in town. That's ok, though. We have much easier access to him than she does. So we took him shopping and then out to eat before the game. That child! He got a Play Station3 for his birthday and wanted a game. I know nothing about these things other than the fact that those games are ridiculously expensive. So we looked at games. I am smart enough to figure out the ratings of E means Everyone, T means Teen, and M means Mature. I think Dakota thought E meant Ewwww and T means Tough. He wanted a T game. I stuck to my guns and held out for a "boring" E game. At one point I showed him one of the E games and he said, "no, that one is too hard, Grandma". Well you can imagine what happened after that. I pointed out the level of maturity needed for a T game and when his eyes glazed over, we headed for the toys. We got this really cool castle with knights and dragons and draw bridges and left the store smiling. The place to eat of choice (I hesitate to call it a restaurant) was Pizza Hut. I kinda looked down at my body and thought, well there goes 4 days of gym time down the drain. Did I mention how much I love my grandkids? I even forced myself to eat pizza for Dakota (evil grin).

Speaking of Gym Time. I have been there three times this week. Although I haven't lost any weight (do you think Pizza has anything to do with that?) I sure feel better and am sleeping better than I have in ages. Yea me!

Ok, this was supposed to be a short, sorry I've been away post, and instead my fingers wouldn't stop. They have a mind of their own sometimes.

I do want to say one more thing. It seems many of my friends are struggling with issues in their lives right now. Please everyone, hang in there, and look for the good in everything. There is something to be happy about, no matter how bad things seem sometimes. So let's be happy and keep those smiles on our faces. Oh, and share a little happiness as you go about your day. If a poorly paid checker isn't very nice at the grocery checkout, let's remember they have troubles too and have a kind word and a smile ready for them. That goes such a long way!

Love ya all! Keep on keeping on folks - I know I do!

14 comments:

Nana said...

I loved your post. I am glad you stuck to you guns about the game. I think woking out does help you sleep better.

I know we are all stressed out these days. There is a lot to worry about, but I agree that there is a lot to be happy about too.

Anonymous said...

That fall festival sounds fun to me punkn, I hope all goes well for you there, bravo on the win with the game, and you go girl for going to the gym 3 times in one week. HUGS

Anonymous said...

Oh and one other thing, I bet you sing beautifully!!!!!

Sherri Murphy said...

You have been busy! Enjoy your weekend.

Jan Holt said...

Oh those pesky game ratings... had a few tussles over those in my house too. I stuck to my guns too but it was a PAIN!

Thanks for just being you! Makes my day.

Toriz said...

Hope the festival thing goes well. I bet you're a good singer really... Can't be much worse than me, and people were willing to listen to me sing when I was streaming. ;)


Personally, I like the sound of the castle more than most games that are out.

Of course, you had to eat some pizza for Dakota. ;)

If the gym is making you feel better, then it's worth it... Even if you haven't lost any weight yet. :)

Intense Guy said...

Happy belated Birthday Dakota!

Way to go Travis!

[insert impolite word here] you Whiskey, you could be nice now and then, couldn't YOU?!?

Envisions next's year's singing performance with all new, improved, whiter than white! ... ummm... how about some pyrotechnics and guitar smashings? (whispers an aside to the grandkids, noooo absolutely noooo biting heads of animals, now behave...)

Hugs. Sent ya an email - I'm feeling a lil' better... hope you are too!!!

Keep on keeping on - with the gym and with the pizza!

Queenie Jeannie said...

What a lovely post!! You made me smile over and over! You are really great at the Happiness thing, lol!!!

Drink plenty of water to flush out that sodium and fat and you'll be fine!

Good luck singing this weekend!!!

jewelzmomof4 said...

I can tell you all that Dakota LOVES the castle and when he plays with it he lets his littlebrother play with it to and they use their imaginations and I love hearing where the story goes that they invented in their heads together. MUCH BETTER than a game. I wish I could go to the Fall Festival it is so much fun I remember going every year and have so many great memn=ories of it. Oh and Lynn you are right she does sing beautifully and when you combine my Dads voice and my moms many musical talents you have a wonderful treat on your hands. Love You Mom!!!

Karla said...

I love your post..they are always a feel good time for me..You are such a positive person..rub some of it off on me please :-)

Anonymous said...

Good reminder to look for the positive even through the pain.

LadyStyx said...

*psssst* GameStop is your friend. You can buy some of those games second hand and for less money.

AliceKay said...

I hope the festival at your church was a hit for everyone...you and the attendees. Sounds like a nice time.

The football game sounds like fun. I bet you're having a blast going to them and cheering Travis and the team on. Way to go, Grandma! :)

Happy belated birthday to Dakota. Sounds like he was happy with his gift from you. (a little pizza doesnt hurt now and then)

Have a great week. Keep on keeping on! *hugs*

Karla said...

Hey Deanna..it's been over 4 days again..LOL