Monday, October 12, 2009

How to play horseshoes

      

Are there any horseshoe players out there?  Hubby and I like throwing horseshoes, although like most things, we’re  not very good at it.  Wait, I’ll speak for myself – I’M not very good at it.

 

I guess we passed our fascination with the game of horseshoes onto grandkids, Allen and Anna. 

043

Those pegs look like they are spaced just right.  So let the game begin!

042

You’re going to need to really wing them Anna.  Those things are heavy for a little thing like you!

040

Alright Allen, let’s see what you can do.

041

Am I seeing this right?  Are you really going to throw it on your own peg?  Noooooooooooo!

039

Well I’ll be a monkey’s uncle, you made it.  What talent!

038

And what was Anna doing while Allen was playing his own personal game of horseshoes?

037

Why she was playing with her own horseshoes on her own peg.  And guess what…  They were keeping score!

11 comments:

AliceKay said...

I used to love playing horseshoes. When I was a kid (and young teen), a friend of mine and I used to play it all the time. Her dad had a nice horseshoe pit in their back yard. I used to get a ringer now and then. Love the clinking of those shoes. Brings back some good memories. :) Your grandkids look like they were having fun with them. We have a horseshoe set but having had them out to play lately.

Whenever I hear someone say something about it being close, this phrase comes to mind...."close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades"

Have yourself a good day today.

AliceKay said...

having = haven't (i think my brain is still half asleep)

Sherri Murphy said...

I've never played horseshoes, we always play "Worshers" (as we call it here in SO. Ill.)

It is great because all ages can enjoy this game. Kids, teens even the elderly.

Big AL's Mom (almost 80) is the family champ!

Karla said...

Unfortunantly I can't throw horse shoes anymore..they are way too heavy for me :-( But it was always a fun game that (almost) everyone could enjoy. Last couple of times anyone has been playing I didn't get to play because the men thought women can't do it..and when I showed em I could they refused to let me play anymore (yeah I was beating em) LOL

Intense Guy said...

I used to play Horseshoes all the time. :)

I really like the Allen/Anna rules version. Lots less wear and tear and lots more "ringers". LOL.

They are simply just too precious aren't they?!

*Hugs*

Anonymous said...

I haven't played horseshoes since childhood... don't even remember the rules. Nice you are passing the game along to the little ones!

Di

Toriz said...

Never played... Never even knew anyone who did. Actually, I wasn't even entirely sure it was a real game until you did this post. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Im sure they had a blast, and as a southerner I sure have played my share of horseshoes although not well I have to say, everytime our family has a reunion or get together for some reason most of the menfolk now will always play a game of horseshoes, I don't think it would feel right if no one did play it.

junyah said...

I never could figure that game out, now i know..lol hey they are haveing fun thats all that counts.. Hugs ya .Jr

LadyStyx said...

*laffin* Now THAT takes talent!

jewelzmomof4 said...

that is HILLARIOUS!!!!!!!