Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sunday afternoon drive

We took to the back roads last Sunday afternoon in  hopes of finding some beautiful Fall colors.

A very old cemeteryWe found a very old cemetery in the little town of Westphalia.  But the leaves on these trees certainly haven’t changed clothes, now have  they??

This cemetery is located at the bottom of the hill, away from the Church on the hill.  We think, but aren’t sure, that at one time the cemetery was located next to the church and then was moved in later years in order to provide room for parking lots and expansion.

An old bridge

We found one of the few old bridges left standing in the state.  These leaves look mighty green still. 

Our plan was to stroll through Westphalia and take pictures of some of the many historic buildings and church.  Their church Fall Festival changed that plan!  People and cars were everywhere.  Now that just isn’t my idea of a good photo op… unless the plan is to take pictures of people and cars, which I have done many times… but not today. 

Jim driving his Miata across the old bridge

The bridge was pretty cool, though.  That’s Jim driving across it.  Can you see the license plate?  It says MoLamb… get it?  It has two meanings:  More Lamb or Missouri Lamb.  We are thinking about changing it to LmbChp next year.  What do you think?

View of the river from old bridge

Next stop, Painted Rock Conservation Area. 

Jim reading the guide bookNo, Junyah, we didn’t see and partridge or deer.  Heck, we didn’t even see any squirrels!

According to the self guide book that Jim is reading in the above picture, “Before you reach the river bluffs, there lies remnants of an Indian burial cairn. Local legend has it that this cairn was a great chief’s burial mound, built 500-1500 years ago.  The cairn was vandalized years ago, so there is no way to know for cfertain.  Most probably, it and the bluff paintings were there when the Osage Indians moved into the area around 1400 A.D. and when they left, by 1825”

As Jim was reading this, he commented, “I’ll bet this  is where the burial cairns are located”.

Sign that says "Indian Burial Cairn"

Ya think?  He hadn’t noticed the LARGE sign that says “Indian Burial Cairn”.  How I love to laugh!

Bluff along the Osage River

The leaves are starting to change colors here, but definitely not in their glory yet.

According to the guide book, Painted Rock State Forest is a place full of history.  The river-bluff paintings were old already when Zebulon Pike saw them in 1806.  They were pictographs, one a buffalo, placed high on a bluff above the Osage River by Indians ages ago.  For years, traders and rivermen used the painted rock as a landmark.

The rock paintings (not accessible by the tail) probably were done between 1200 and 1300 A.D. but people lived along the Osage long before that.  Form 9,000 to 2,500 years ago, small bands of Indians, perhaps 12 to 15 in a group, made temporary campsites on the high ground near the river.

Osage River and Painted Rock bluff from the path's Outlook Deck

A friend has a cabin on the other side of the river and has canoed across to see the actual paintings on the rock.  Maybe  we can do that next Sunday… or maybe not…

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Punkn those are certainly beautiful pictures I loved looking at them and they are full of color to me. I just love the fall time, Im thinking of doing a lil blog for fun saying how much I love fall and what I love about it lol. Very nice places to visit, you live in a beautiful area for sure.

Anonymous said...

It's very pretty there and the autumn colors against the blue water really make a nice fall statement. Gorgeous!

YES, I like the idea of a plate that says LmbChp. Caaute!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Jan Holt said...

Made me really really miss Missouri and my great memories of the time we lived there. Thanks for bringing me home.

Hugs,

Jan

AliceKay said...

I really love these photos. The scenery is spectacular. The cemetery pic is a great shot, even with the not-yet-turned foliage on the trees. I liked the bridge shot with Jim driving across the bridge for "us". The license plate on the car is really cute. (i would keep it as is)

(don't you just hate it when cars and people get in the way of great shots?)

The Indian burial grounds sound fascinating and the rock paintings sound like something I'd like to see. Beautiful photos. :)

I had my camera with me today while driving to Towanda, but I was a bit disappointed to realize that most of the color is gone. I think it was at peak last week when we had the snow and nasty weather.

Karla said...

I will never believe there is any place more beautiful than the Ozarks and Ouachita Mountains (those are in Arkansas..before the Boston mountain range and before the Ozarks) Any season. Just beautiful! And yes I've seen the Rockies..they may be higher..but they aren't as pretty.

Sherri Murphy said...

Looks pretty glorious to me! LOVE these photos.

junyah said...

Great looking country there,there are probley Partidge around but so many leaves that are still on makes it hard to find them and they can hide very easy. I talked to guy that was here helping put lolly colums in the house, he said he had been bird hunting and he saw about 8 woodcock, they must be migarting now south because they stay down east mostley in the summer, thats around the canadan Border in Eastern part of Maine and into Canada.The migartion only last about 3 weeks at the most..and to get them A dog is a must have.. Love the pictures Hugs Hun ..

jewelzmomof4 said...

very beautiful pics mom. I use to LOVE going on those trips with you all to those various historic places. Even if I didn't act like I loved it then I want you all to know I did and still do. I am blessed to have those memories. Thank You!!!!!

Toriz said...

Sounds to me like you had a lovely drive. I'd be interested in knowing more about that Indian burial ground and such one of these days. :)

Leah said...

Wow! Those are some gorgeous pictures! I can't even imagine them being any more lovely when the colors really pop. Spectacular!

LadyStyx said...

Beautiful area.

LMBCHP....cute. Very cute. Second car in the family could get MNTJLY :)

Intense Guy said...

Lovely pictures. I really like the car on the bridge shot. :) I vote for I<3PNKN for Jim's next car plate...

Laffs at styxies' mint jelly...

Queenie Jeannie said...

What a fun thing to do, drive around together with the top down!!! You are making me miss my convertible soooo much, lol!!

Great shots!

Anonymous said...

nice article. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you guys know that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.