Sunday, October 11, 2009

He threw away the boots

We have had more than our fair share of rain this past week.  Rain is synonymous with mud, and mud requires boots, especially for a sheep farmer.

Here’s how it went.  Hubby put on his trusty rubber “gum” boots, hopped on his 4-wheeler, and headed down to the sheep pasture.  As he trudged around in the muck and mud, he realized his tootsies were getting wet – a lot wet.  I think the wetness distracted him, but somehow he got mired down in the mud and lost his balance.  As he reached out to un-lose his balance, it dawned on him that he was about to grab onto the electric fence.  He’s a smart man, so he turned away from the fence.  Of course his feet were still buried in the muck and of course he was still off balance – so down he went.  And of course his leg brushed up against the electric fence and he got one of the aw-shit shocks that most farmers experience now and then.

The boots?  Well to hear him tell it, they were split in a number of places, including the sole.  He had just been too cheap to replace them.  The boots went into the trash that very day.  There is a now a new pair exactly like them sitting in their place. 

001  

I’m thinking he should have thrown the jeans away too.

13 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

Cripes, I aint heard the word 'gum boots' since I was a kid and me father would call them that....... we call them wellies :) and they come in all colours and patterns nowadays....... you should of bought him a red and orange flowery pair of wellies lol

x

Anonymous said...

OMG Punkn Im so glad your hubby is ok. I have touched electric fences when I was a child and I know how it feels, I get the heebie jeebies just thinking about it LOL, HUGS

Funny in My Mind said...

shocking story you mucked out for us (sorry, I couldn't resist)my yard is still a mess!

Intense Guy said...

Cringes at the very thought of brushing an electric fence in the mud.

Ouchies!

Baaa-bbaaaaaaaaa haaa haaa@Marmy, Hey why stop there, why not get the Hubby a matching (or at least a coordinated) moo-moo to go with the wellies with flowers on 'em?

An a straw hat with a scarf head band on it - no make it two of them, so he can wear 'em both at the same time...

AliceKay said...

Those jeans looks like Terri's jeans after a normal day at work, especially if it's been raining. He has a dirty job.

I'm glad Jim is okay. I've been zapped by electric fences a few times in my life. I have a little scar on my belly from one experience. I was reaching over the fence to pet our first beef cow on the head when the fence bit me. The jolt knocked me to the ground after burning a little line into my belly.

I'm glad Jim finally got himself some new boots. :)

Leah said...

Ha. Glad the hubby is okay. :-D

Sherri Murphy said...

Glad he is alright- tell him I'm laughing WITH him, not AT him!

Anonymous said...

Glad Jim is ok, but too bad you didn't have a video camera on him. That might have won you some money. Plus I bet it was funny to see. After knowing he was ok that is.

LadyStyx said...

*wrinkles nose* I suspect ya right about them thar jeans...

Karla said...

Thinks about this post..and moves on cause I really don't know what to say!!! LOL

jewelzmomof4 said...

Well I am glad Dad is ok and I hope he learned his lesson. It is ok to be cheap and wear thing for a long time but you need to replace them before they get holes in them. lol That and electicity hurts and it probably hurts more with wet feet and clothes lol Poor Dad!!!! I think the patterened boots would be great!!!!! Oh and I am glad that he didn't have those electic fences when I had to go out into the horse field lol.

Toriz said...

Glad he's OK, and had the sense not to grab the electric fence. I'd like to also say that I hope he learned his lesson... But I'm not daft enough to think that's a possibility, since I know neither my hubby nor my Dad would have learned from it.

muck boots said...

its a great feeling to have these boots when you are gardening,specially in monsoon season,as they are waterproof and durable.