Thursday, September 9, 2010

A blip in the road

The two of us had dentist appointments yesterday.  Rather than pay big money to the club dentists in town, we go to a family dental place in the little town of Westphalia.  Their prices are so much more reasonable and it is as enjoyable as going to a dentist can be.  Everyone knows everyone and if you don’t know the people when you walk in, you will know them before you walk out.

The little old lady next to me yakked my head off about the weather, the  traffic over the weekend, and the trials of taking care of her 89 year old husband, Henry, who had skin cancer and dementia.  Her name was Francis.  He  meekly sat next to her without saying a word, not that he could have if he had wanted to.  I smiled and nodded a lot and told her I admired her patience and caring.

With me a filling, and Jim a temporary crown and two fillings later, we headed back down the road towards Jeff.

Along the Missouri highways there are many markers designating “A Historic Marker”.  When time allows we try to stop and see what is historic about the site where the arrow is pointing.  We had often passed one such marker, but yesterday our curiosity got the better of us and we followed the way of the arrow.

We had to laugh when, after a few twists and turns, we were pointed to a gravel road dead ending at a grass and dirt mound leading into the woods.

IMG00015-20100908-1233

The sign marks the spot where Lewis and Clark discovered the mouth of the Osage River.

IMG00014-20100908-1233

their impressions of the Osage Tribal nation

women helped with hunts, planting, harvesting crops. Men were explorers and tall  

I smiled knowing that women were recognized for

their contributions

Osage Nation mightiest tribe on lower Missouri River

recognition of the Osage Indians's contribution to the trade

Map of the Lewis and Clark route through Missouri

All in all this little side trip took about 15 minutes and was worth the stop.  From there we ate soup at Country Kitchen – not because we were hungry for soup, but because neither of us could chew!  It was yummy.

17 comments:

Funny in My Mind said...

was it potato or calico bean? (wink wink)

Toriz said...

Sounds like about as fun a trip to the dentist as is possible. Glad you enjoyed your little side trip.

Vicki Lane said...

How smart to stop and check out those markers. It's so good to learn about the history all around us!

Vicki Lane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AliceKay said...

I'm glad you finally stopped to check out that historical marker. It was very interesting to read. Northeastern Pennsylvania has a lot of historical markers along the sides of the road...some of the local ones are pictured in my Flickr pics. There's history all around us. We just need to stop to take a look. I'm glad you stopped to look. :)

I loved this post. I'm glad you enjoyed your soup, too. :)

Intense Guy said...

I suppose the Lewis and Clark members "enjoyed" the Osage women beyond their help with the hunting and crops (and cooking).

I bet you made Francis' day, she is probably in some other doctor's waiting room "bending someone's ear" telling them about this lovely blonde lady (and the hunk hubby she had) that she met at the Dentist's office the other day.

Beautiful soup, so rich and green,
Waiting in a hot tureen!
Who for such dainties would not stoop?
Soup of the evening, beautiful Soup!
Soup of the evening, beautiful Soup!
Beau--ootiful Soo--oop! Beau--ootiful Soo--oop!
Soo--oop of the e--e--evening, Beautiful, beautiful Soup....

I think the third verse gets into the fact soup isn't chewy... ;)

Rita said...

LOL, Iggy!! :)

That was an interesting stop. I did note how the women did this and that--and the men were tall and handsome--ROFL!! Does this say more about the Indians or Lewis and Clark? LOL!!!

Francis sounds like a hoot! :):)

Anonymous said...

I loved your post punkn, it was nice to read something about Lewis and Clark here on the East coast. I have been following Dianas blog who travels year round in her RV and she just got done following the trail of Lewis and Clark out west and I loved reading about it :o) I hope you are having a good day HUGS

PS, I hate the dentist lol

Rural Rambler said...

If you have to do the dentist thing, I think your blip in the road and some soup sounds like a very nice thing to do! You two do the nicest day trips even if it means the dentist!

Steve Skinner said...

These little markers are everywhere between Saint Louis and the end of the trail in Astoria, OR. Those old boys sure made a lot of stops on their road trip.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

We saw that marker just a couple of weeks ago, but we never went off Hwy 50.
This weather makes you want soup. In fact we had it for dinner tonight. That was after out trip to the funeral home where our favorite attendant wasn't working.

betty said...

LOL about the soup, but I bet it tasted delicious! I bet that elderly lady at the dentist office just needed to talk with someone, thankfully she found someone like you who was willing to listen. very interesting historic site; glad you guys took the time to see it :)

(I put you down on my prayer list, if there is something specific you want prayer for, email me, otherwise, I'm just pray for you and know that God knows what your needs are :(

betty

Intense Guy said...

Just stopping by to see how your were doing - hope your teefs all feel good.

*huge hugs*

junyah said...

When i had to go everyday to Maine Medical Center for radiation treatments the waiting room usually had about 8 people at a time there.This one old man that i later found out to be 93 showed up everyday in a three piece suit.He was a gentlmen.HE told me that he started working for Maine Central Railroad way back when, and that he worked up to being an engineer on steam engines and he brought the last Steam train from Bangor to Portland Maine.He worked for that company for so long that they sold out to Guilford industries and he was the President of that company for the last 20 years before he retired 10 year before,at 82. You didnt say what favor the soup was.. Hugs U . JR

tattytiara said...

You know I never used to read those markers and I've just started to recently - darned if there isn't some interesting stuff on some of them!

Teri said...

That is so funny to find all the info in the middle of a field. I do love that stuff, though. I like to stand there and try to feel the history.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Owie on the dentist trip! I am way overdue and starting to feel it. I HATE dentists!!!