Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The perfect recipe

026 

Every year there is speculation about whether this is this going to be one of those gorgeous, take a drive in the country type Falls.  Will the dark limbs of the trees and bright reds, yellows and oranges of the foiliage stand out vibrant against the back drop of the Missouri River Bluffs?  Will the trees form a beautifully rich canopy over our narrow country lanes?

Here is what I’ve always heard are the predictors:

Temperature

Autumn days need to be mild – well Autumn took its good ol’ time getting here but once it is here the days have been mild to warm

Evenings are cool and crisp, but not below freezing – check, our sweatshirt and jeans evenings have been wonderful

A late spring may delay the colors a week or two – gosh, I can’t remember back that far!  But if anything, I think we had an early Spring, along with an early Summer.  I wonder if that early Summer will hurt the colors.

Precipitation

Severe drought causes the leaves to turn brown and fall quicker – nope, we had lots of rain this summer and on into the Fall

Wind

Intense wind will shorten the duration of the leaves on the trees – time will tell on this one

I’m predicting a wonderfully beautiful Fall here in Missouri.  I see a my state road trip in my future!

 

15 comments:

Rural Rambler said...

Yes Deanna! We came home early from our vacation cause I feel sure MissouREE is going to put on a beautiful Autumn season! We are with you on some trips right here, starting with Hermann!

Dang I am sorry I missed you at the Festival. It was great to meet Nicole and Patti! One of these days we will meet up!

spacegirl60 said...

We have some trees that I can tell will turn earlier than others. They start about August. And yes, we do have fall colors in California. Just have to find them in between all of our evergreen trees!

Our Indian summer is here so you will experience fall before us. Have fun and enjoy!

Rita said...

We've had a ton of rain up here and I don't see that the leaves are falling any faster. ;)

I hope we have a nice long fall. LOVE this time of year! From now till New Year's actually--all the good holidays and I love the snow when it first arrives. :)

AliceKay said...

I hope you take lots and lots of pictures on your road trip, and while you're at it, be sure to take lots from around your home. :)

Anonymous said...

I sure do hope that you get to see your colors this year because upstate in the hilly areas I know it is always beautiful, last year in the beginning of OCT we went to gatlinburg tn, you could see some spots where the leaves were changing but we didnt make it in time to see the full good show of all the colors.

I sure do love your pictures you have at the top of your blog, how do you do the 3 pictures together like that?

I hope you are having a good week, HUGS

Toriz said...

Hope you get your beautiful Autumn/Fall colours/colors! ;)

Intense Guy said...

I hope you have a magnificent fall foliage season! I'm not sure what its looking like in PA - the dry spell we had followed by tons of rain... I think this isn't going to be a good year - but we've had others.

I'm just hoping this winter isn't like last winter!

Steve Skinner said...

I hope you have an outstanding foliage trip. Here on the Oregon coast we don't get much in the way of fall colors.

Flat Creek Farm said...

Ohhh, I like your prediction. A lot. And your new header is wonderful, btw! -Tammy

betty said...

hope you take lots of pictures when you take that day trip! that is one thing I miss since we don't have that change of the season. Enjoy!

betty

Vicki Lane said...

They (whoever that is) are predicting good color here in western NC. I'm hoping They are right. It's always so magical when the mountains put on their cloaks of red and orange.

Nancy said...

I hope you get your especially beautiful Fall.We are enjoying some early color but now we have a tropical storm that came up the coast. It is bringing rain and lots of wind. The air is hot and humid.

The Wife O Riley said...

Some of our trees are turning, but not a lot yet. I do love this time of year.

Queenie Jeannie said...

I can't wait to see your pictures!! I love fall! This was a really cool post.

Joy said...

Hi Deanna, I think you are lovely. I am offering you this award and am sharing you with my followers :)

http://myjoyproject.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-lovely.html

Thanks for being so lovely!!!
Kelly