Monday, February 14, 2011

Just a scrap

There was a time when I was a serious scrap booker.   I bought every possible gadget, pen, paper, sticker, and computer design software. Then my daughter, Tessa, gave me subscriptions to scrapbook magazines.  I was in heaven.  I poured over all the design ideas and kept buying all the latest and greatest gadgets – and of course I kept creating wonderful scrapbooks. 

Then about eight years ago I quit.  I’ve kept taking pictures.  Many pictures!  But the scrapbooking juices stopped flowing.
Today I took one look at the bookshelf piled high with magazines and decided it was time to get rid of them.  The problem is that they really do have a lot of good advice and information.  What to do….
003
The simple answer was to go through the magazines and remove anything of interest and throw all of the useless advertising away.
002
About 30 magazines have been reduced to this thin stack, which will be filed by categories. 
004
I’m looking forward to catching up on all the memories as I get back into scrap booking the simple way – with lots of journaling.  It will be a walk down memory lane backtracking eight years.  And of course, I’m going to have to do something with the over 90 years of family photos I have been scanning.  Just what I needed – another project!

13 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

You might offer to give them away to anyone who reads your blog and would like them. I did that once with cross stitch magazines.
Otherwise, you can take them to the recycle bins!

Deanna said...

Patti, the only thing left are mostly advertisements. I've gleaned all of the good stuff out of them. The rest will be recycled.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Hi Deanna, I need to do that very thing with the enormous pile of magazines I've accumulated. I will just take out the pages of stuff I want to keep and throw away the rest. Magazines and books are my weakness and I have way too many. I don't craft anymore so I haven't kept those, but I love to collect recipes and decorating ideas! More fun than the actual doing. :D

Rita said...

That's a great idea for magazines that you know you don't want to part with because of the great ideas and articles, but want to cut down on the space.

I never have gotten into scrapbooking. Just make cards. I think doing a lot of journaling is the only way I would ever think about it. I am just too busy with all the other crafts and art projects I never have time to get to without adding another one--ROFL! ;)

I'd love to see a few of your new journaling scrapbook pages, tho, when you get back into it.

betty said...

I never got into scrap booking, but I hear it is a wonderful thing to do and one can be so creative with it. I think it is wise to "glean" the good and recycle the rest of those magazines. 90 years of family pictures! I can imagine that would be a big project to undertake, but the results when it all comes together will be great that all in the family will enjoy and appreciate!

betty

Rural Rambler said...

Deanna I am loving your organizational skills. Organizing is not one of my strong points! And I can't get rid of that Procrastination thing either or I would get all my Food&Wine mags all organized for the recipes.

Toriz said...

Have fun!

tattytiara said...

So you're going to scrap book articles on scrap
booking? Awesome, that's so meta!

spacegirl60 said...

I'm in the same boat as you. Course, I only have three years to go back on. It is fun to return to it though. Have fun!

AliceKay said...

I used to keep a scrapbook, but stopped keeping one a long time ago. I've taken lots of pictures over the years (still do as you have found out) and I have a lot still in the envelopes you get from the printing company. One of these days, I'll get them more organized and into albums.

It sounds like you have some very interesting times ahead. I hope you'll share those times as you go forward with your projects. :)

*hugs*

Queenie Jeannie said...

How fun!!! I know I find it impossible to be creative when things aren't organized. I'm too OCD, lol!!! Can't wait to see your pages!

Anonymous said...

wow those are alot of magazines, I used to go through my painting magazines like that and just pick out what I thought I would really want to paint. I also used to think I was gonna be a scrapbooker I have like 3 started and never finished LOL

Intense Guy said...

I enjoy skimming magazines and pulling out the "good stuff"... its a hobby in its own right.

:)