Thursday, February 3, 2011

Refrigerator Rolls

Here is the recipe for the refrigerator rolls pictured in my previous post.  It comes from my much used and loved 39 year old Betty Crocker's Cookbook.  

These are easy to make and very tasty.  What I really like about them is you mix the dough up a day (up to 5 days) ahead of time.  Then when you are ready to bake them, you just form them into little "balls" and let them rise in a warm place for an hour or two before baking.  So here goes.



1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
1 cup unseasoned lukewarm mashed potatoes (a cup of instant potatoes works great)
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. salt
6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl.  Stir in potatoes, sugar, shortening, eggs, salt and  cups of the flour.  Beat until smooth.  Mix in enough remaining flour to m ake dough easy to handle.  Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.  Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up.  Cover bowl tightly; refrigerate at least 8 hours but no longer than 5 days.

Punch dough down and form into whatever type rolls you want.  I usually shape them into 1 inch balls and place side by side on a lightly greased cookie sheet, then brush with softened butter. 

 If you can see this photo clear enough, you can see some other suggested ways of forming the dough.  The baking times vary from between 15 and 20 minutes.


















The recipe says to let them rise for an hour.  My experience has been that they need more like 2 to 3 hours to rise in a warm spot.  Heat oven to 400 degrees and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. 
  
This recipe makes a very large batch of rolls, so another option is to bake them at 275 degrees for 20 minutes (do not allow to brown).  Remove from pans and cool to room temperature.  Then wrap in aluminum foil and freeze them for later (no more than 2 months).  You now have Brown and Serve Rolls.  At serving time, heat oven to 400 degrees and bake until brown (8 to 10 minutes). 

ENJOY!

13 comments:

Rita said...

I love my Better Home & Garden "New Cookbook" from 1971. Looks a lot like the Betty Crocker--big ring binder with a red plaid cover. In fact, I thought it was the Betty Crocker one when I bought it--hehe! It has served me well over the years, tho. :)

Great idea for the brown and serve rolls!

Deanna said...

Rita, when my mom passed away I grabbed her big ring binder. I will treasure it always.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Warm bread!!!! Is there anything better in the world??? I'm going to be making some wheat bread today. It will make the house smell so good.....*smile*

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Hi Deanna, aren't the older cookbooks still the best? Love 'em. Thanks for the recipe. I've never had much luck with yeast bread or rolls, but I'm going to have to try these. I love homemade breads, and the smell....delicious! Take care.

Toriz said...

You're making me hungry! Good thing it's lunch time here!

Intense Guy said...

If Homer Simpson had the chance to sample your rolls he would forget all about donuts and say, "Punkn's rooooooooooooollssssss... " and stand there drooling.

:) Just like me.

junyah said...

The cookbook looks familiar,Penny has one just like it, im going to put in a request for those biscuits though. Thanks. Y.O.P. JunYah

Anonymous said...

I think I have that cookbook I guess I need to look through and see what goodies are in there, thanks for the recipe it sounds so mouth watering makes me hungry lol HUGS

AliceKay said...

I thought I had a Betty Crocker Cookbook, but I just looked and it's The Good Housekeeping Cookbook. It's a big red book. The cover is a bit ragged and torn, but it's basically a new book. I think I got it for a bridal shower gift a hundred years ago. LOL I don't use cookbooks very often...maybe because I dont like to cook all that much?

Thanks for posting the recipe. The rolls looked really yummy in your previous post. mmm mmm mmm

Nancy said...

This looks like a good recipe and fairly easy. I use my Betty Crocker cookbook which was a wedding gift. Keep in mind I have been married 45 years. I write notes on the pages about who I cooked the recipes for along with the dates. The cake section tells which cake I made for the four children's birthdays. I continue to make notes with dates in the book. My daughter asked if she can inherit the book. One of my sons asked recently if he can have it. I'm thinking to find him an identical book and write all the notes in his copy. Maybe I can find one online, even if it is really old!

Rural Rambler said...

Deanna I think CH would love these rolls! I will be giving them a whirl. We finally got dug out yesterday and headed to Fulton to take The Mama to lunch at Beks. Man it was nice to pull on a pair of Levis and boots and get out! Hope you all are dug out!

Vicki Lane said...

Love refrigerator rolls! Such a easy make ahead! And I love your header!!!

tattytiara said...

A cookbook with step by step illustrations? I hope the author won a Pulitzer.