Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Burning down the house


My baby girl, Julie, turned 31 last weekend.

We celebrated with a meal of pulled pork, oriental cole slaw, the best augratin potatoes ever, baked beans, and the worst red velvet cake ever (you win some, and lose some).  It took six matches to light the candles on that god-awful cake.  The candles lit up the room like fireworks on the 4th of July (kiind of like her smile) and we were praying the smoke alarms wouldn't go off.  She almost blew all those candles out in one puff (or four or five...)



Burning Down the House

Julie was our rough and tumble little girl.  She really had no choice, since she had an older brother and sister who never slowed down... she just had to figure out how to keep up!  It seemed like if something was going to happen, it was going to happen to Julie.  Like the time she almost caught the house on fire when she laid her coat and hat on top of a lit kerosine heater.  I believe she was only 3 at the time.  I still remember that charred coat laying in the middle of the driveway, where it landed when we threw it out the window. 

Cowgirl Julie
And then, of course, there is the matter of Julie's hair.  Oh what a rats nest it always was!  But she didn't care.  She was off and running each morning and heaven help the person who tried to slow her down by performing the useless task of combing the tangles out of her hair.
Six year old Fishergirl

Today our dear Julie's a wife and mother of three, stepmother of one.  It is no surprise that while surrounded by all of that testosterone, she rolls with the punches, and joins in all of the outdoor activities with zesto.

Outdoors-woman

So, happy birthday Julie!  You will always be my baby...



Christmas 1980









14 comments:

Missouri Gal said...

Happy birthday to your Julie. She sounds a lot like me as a kid.
I saw you posted on Patti's blog you were out in the Versailles area last week on the same day. How funny! So was I with a friend of mine! Patti made that comment on my facebook, she was shocked we didn't run into each other.

I wanted to let you know, I have deleted my Missouri Gal blog. It was giving me too many issues. The other night it wouldn't let me post photos. Sometimes I couldn't post on blogs I follow either. So I just got rid of it.
Have a wonderful day and don't melt!
Nicole B.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Ahhh! Happy Birthday to your sweet girl!

Intense Guy said...

Happy Birthday Julie!!!!!

:) I love that "Fishergirl" shot!!

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

Deanna Happy Happy Birthday to your Julie! Good food and CAKE! And family-Life is Good!

Joy said...

Awww she is beautiful - what a radiant smile lit up by those candles!!

As always, thanks for sharing your lovely family :)

Kelly

Toriz said...

Happy birthday Julie!

Tessa said...

Great post mom. BTW, Dakota looks like Julie in the fishing picture and Anna looks like me in the family picture! Funny!

AliceKay said...

What a nice post. :) I like the "fishergirl" shot, too. Happy belated birthday, Julie.

My baby's birthday was yesterday. He turned 29.

ChicagoLady said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Julie. Sounds like she was a handful, but somehow I don't think you'd trade a minute of it for anything in the world!

*Sitting listening to the annual cicadas that have finally made an appearance*

Texas Gal said...

Happy Birthday Julie. Hope you had a wonderful day...sure looks anmd sounds like you did :D

jewelzmomof4 said...

Great post Mom!!! I loved it!!! Thank you all for the birthday wishes. I do remember my poor sister having to "comb" my messy hair and Dad would just grab a stocking cap or hat and cover it up if we had to leave the house lol. I am shocked that Mom didn't chop it off early on :)

Rita said...

Happy birthday to your baby girl!
Her hair looks great now--LOL! I actually like the picture of her with her fish and tangled hair. My favorite one.
They grow so fast!! :)

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

What a beauty. Happy Birthday Julie. Home made Red Cake is difficult. The frosting is even worse. But together they are heaven.

Thanks for stopping by. I like making new blog friends.

Anonymous said...

Awww Happy Birthday Julie!!! I loved reading about your daughter Punkn, its so sad the little ones have to grow up, HUGS!