Monday, August 8, 2011

Try it... you'll like it!




My friend, Patti, at  Osage Bluff Quilter, posted a recipe last week for canned tomato soup.  One of my favorite meals has always been tomato soup and grilled cheese.  In all my poor sheltered life, I had never tasted homemade tomato soup.  Until now.

Saturday I spent the day canning tomato soup.  What a messy mess I can be in the kitchen.  Anytime I follow a recipe the first time, it seems to take me forever.  After that things always go much quicker and cleaner.  The end result, though, was fantastic.

Quarts of canned tomato soup

Saturday I canned.  Sunday we dined on soup and grilled cheese. 

Can't wait - must try now!

The meal was topped off with a glass of cool, refreshingly tasty, Apple Blossom Wine from Holy Cross Abbey Winery in Cannon City, Colorado - compliments of Greg and Alicia (thank you guys, it was delicious).  What a wonderful blend of flavors!
 
Homemade tomato soup, grilled cheese, and Colorado fine wine - life is good
We have been getting rain showers off and on over the past few days and the temperatures are now in the comfortable 80's, replacing the oppressive 100+ temperatures of the past few weeks. 

Thank you for the recipi, Patti.  It is definitely a keeper!

15 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Glad it turned out for you. And what a pretty presentation you made!
Let me know if you need a good salsa recipe. After 39 QUARTS, it's tried and true recipe too.

Rita said...

I've made tomato sauce from scratch years ago, but never thought of tomato soup. That sounds and looks delicious! Congrats! :)

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

Oh my goodness! I used to can dozens of jars of tomatos, speg. sauce, salsa, etc, but it never occured to me to make soup. I bet it is wonderful. It looks delicious in the photos. That is a hug in jar for the winter.

AliceKay said...

My mother used to can tomato soup. I didn't like it much as a kid, but I do now. Tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich is a delicious meal. I'll drink milk with mine, tho. :)

Texas Gal said...

and ya didn't invite me? I love grilled cheese and tomato soup :D

in 1990 I bought 5 lugs of tomatos at the "tomato festival"in Warren Arkansas. I put up tomatoe juice which was used for homemade veggie soup in the winter, salsa, and whole canned tomatoes. I wish I could still do things like that..but as you know my back won't let me. I need to teach James to can.

Toriz said...

Awesome; both about the soup and the cooler temps! :)

Tessa said...

Save that recipe for me mom!
Tessa

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Hi Deanna, looks like you had a great meal! I don't think I've ever had homemade tomato soup, either. Bet it's much better than Campbell's!! Enjoy these nicer temps!

Funny in My Mind said...

Everything looks yummy!
I am loving the green grass and warm sunny weather after the searing heat and humidity and dry grass.
Enjoy it, more to come!

junyah said...

Cup full of Hot Tomatoe soup and a couple of grilled Cheese sandwiches always hits the spot on those days when you want something thats quick and tasty too. Homemade soup makes it even better. The thing im finding more and more is that there isn't that many people that do canning anymore.With the Economy running like it is ,canning could be a life saver later on in the middle of those cold winter days,and who knows where the price of oil is going to be this year. Thanks for share. It was tasty. lol

Anonymous said...

Yum Yum your soup and sandwich looks so good girl, that wine sounds good also :o)

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, that looks delicious! I make tomato soup from my canned tomatoes but have never made a whole batch to can.

ChicagoLady said...

It's great that you have soup to store away for an emergency. I've never been a big fan of tomato soup, even as an adult.

Nancy said...

I like to make tomato soup and not take the seeds out. Just peel and cook and puree. Gives it a nice texture. Nancy

Intense Guy said...

I'm with ChicagoLady but I bet it smelled good when you were cooking the soup!

Now the wine on the otherhand... :)