Monday, February 20, 2012

Everyone needs a fetish

I’ll admit it.  I have a kitchen knife fetish. 

Fresh home made bread demands one certain knife.  Meat requires a different type.  I even use a different kine of knife to cut an angel food cake than for, let’s say, a chocolate cake.  There is a paring knife from Jim’s mom with a blade thinned by years of use that is great for slicing tomatoes and onions.  Jim made a number of knives over the years.  One has a sturdier blade that I like to use when cutting turnips.  Whatever the knife - it has to be sharp!

My dear dad is partly to blame for this fetish.  He was very precise in which knife he used for what… and it had better be sharp! Probably my first indication that he had become overwhelmed with taking care of my mom and his own health issues (that we weren’t even aware of at the time) was the day, while fixing supper for them, I reached for a knife to slice potatoes.  Oh.My.Gosh.  It was dull.  Never in my life had I encountered a dull knife in my parents’ home. 

Dad taught me how to use a knife.  He also taught me how to cut up a chicken when, in my early teens, I would much rather have been reading a book than dealing with a bloody chicken!  But that was dad.  He insisted, and I didn’t dare say no.

So now I have a knife fetish.  You would think with this collection of knives (I just pulled out the ones I use minus steak knives), there would be no need for any more.  I certainly didn’t know I had a wish for any more knives.  But sometimes you wish for something without realizing it.  Right?

IMG_4829

What did Jim give me for Valentine’s Day you ask?  Why knives, of course!

Nice, sharp, molded to the shape of my hand, knives.

IMG_4830

What I like about these knives is the ridges in the blades.  Food, especially the dreaded starchy potato, when sliced, does not stick to the blade.  It is amazing!  What am I going to do with the rest of my knives?  Keep each and every one, of course.  They each have a purpose. 

And they are sharp!

15 comments:

Rita said...

Well, a sharp knife leaves a clean cut. I just did that to myself on Christmas morning--cut my finger by dropping a newly sharpened knife on it. Clean cut and healed well--LOL! I agree, though. Different knives for different uses. I just don't have quite as many as you do. Does that mean I don't do as many things in the kitchen? LOL! ;)

Nancy said...

I love that new knife you got! You are right, they work great...and it's always more fun to cook when you have the appropriate tools!

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Quick go give Jim a penny, I can't remember the whole wife's tale but Mom always said something about never give a knife away, bad luck, you have to pay for it.

Here Google found it: n some places it is traditionally believed that the giving of a knife as a gift to a friend will cut or sever the relationship. To avoid such ill luck, the receiver should give a coin in return so as to "pay" for the gift. It is common to include a penny, often taped to the blade, with a knife given as a gift which the receiver is to return as "payment".

Steve Skinner said...

Most of our knives would struggle to cut hot butter!

AliceKay said...

That's a nice set of knives Jim gave you. I'm sure you'll put them to good use. I had never heard the penny story but thought it was rather fascinating.

I have certain knives for certain jobs. I think most of us do. You have quite a collection there. :)

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

I kinda have a thing for knives too! I still have my Mom's cake knife with the yellow handle and several of her other knives. One is the tomato peeling knife :)

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I need some good knives. But I don't like to use them. Somehow I usually end up cutting myself!

Akum said...

I will never ever try to mess things with you even unknowingly. lol..

Toriz said...

Whatever makes you happy! :)


Enjoy your knives!

Tessa said...

Come sharpen mine mom and while you are here show me when to use which each one. How did I miss out on that lesson in childhood?

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I'm a knife person too. I did not know about the knives with the dimples in them...(the new set in the bottom shop) Now I have to get one of those. What a great thing.

ChicagoLady said...

Nice set of knives Jim gave you! I agree, a good knife is a sharp knife. What's the point (no pun intended) if it's not sharp? I agree about using knives for different things, I think that's why there are so many sizes and shapes for knives, right?

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh that hubs of yours know exactly how to win your heart!!!

Who would'a guessed it would be sharp objects. Heeheehehhee!

Ya'll sure know how to celebrate Valentines Day. :o)

God bless ya and have an amazin' day sweetie!!! :o)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Hugs!! I love my knives (and every other kitchen gizmo) too!!!

Intense Guy said...

LOL@Steve Skinner.

:)

My dad has the same fetish. He's into trying out those "newfangled" ceramic blade kind now. I'll report back on that someday... maybe....

Do you collect sissors too? I'm betting you do.... :)