Thursday, February 16, 2012

My Guy

He knows how to make a girl feel special.

For 40 years he has protested he doesn't know how to cook.

He never ceases to find ways to get to me.  So I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when I came home from work and found my man puttering around the kitchen as if he belonged there.  I mean, don't get me wrong, he does belong there - but usually as the Sous-Chef.  The one I give commands to.  "Do this, do that, chop this just so, please get the spice I can't reach out of the cabinet." He's the one who cleans up after I make the meal.  Or at least he was.  I believe a new tradition has been born. 

He did remind me that he is the one who grills burgers in the summer and used to make a mean pot of soup on the wood stove when the kids were little and off school for snow days. But that doesn't count as "cooking".  Does it? 

He found a recipe for fried apples.  I didn't know there was such a thing as a recipe for fried apples...  I just throw in a little butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a skillet with the apples and wala! His were unbelievably good.  Maybe I'll use his recipe the next time I fry apples.


Brown Sugar and spices for the apples... a little more butter, please...

 As he was building a fire (yes, we had a roaring blaze in the background as we dined), he happened onto a recipe in the newspaper he was using to get the fire started.  It was for a honey mustard glaze for the rib eye steaks he was already planning on grilling.  Oh my word they were good!

Honey mustard glazed rib eyes on the grill


A bottle of Nobelis Chambourcin Wine - perfect!

Table for two - candles lit, wine poured, salad ready to go

What do you think?  Did Whiskey get a bit of fat from those steaks?
 Of course Whiskey did not get left out.  We shared tid bits of our meal with him... but only tid bits.  He has a muscle body to maintain, you know.

No matter how romantic the setting, time has to be set aside for the nightly ritual of catch the toys.


Two out of three ain't bad
The evening ended with the sound of much needed gentle rain coming down.  What a peaceful sound to go to sleep by, safe with the new found knowledge that he does know how to cook.  I wonder what's for dinner tonight...

Thank you Jim for a wonderful day after Valentines Day.  I love you.

Up next... what he gave me.

14 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Dang, he cooked and gave you a gift?? He is one special guy!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Now aren't you just the luckiest girl? My man doesn't know how to do much in the kitchen except make coffee. Oh, he does know how to grill, but does that count? Anyway, even tho he doesn't cook, he's good to me in many other ways.

The honey mustard glazed steaks sound delicious. Did he set the table, too? How romantic! He sounds like a real gem!

Have a great day!

AliceKay said...

You are one lucky lady. Jim sounds like a very sweet and loving husband. And everything looked delicious. :)

Way to go, Whiskey. Two outta three ain't bad. ;)

Funny in My Mind said...

He sounds like a keeper. If you haven't strangled him after 40 years, it looks like he is here to stay.
It takes proper training for these men, I always say.
What they lack in some areas, they more than make up for in others.
Whiskey managed to have a nice Valentine's day too!

Toriz said...

Sounds perfect; a home cooked meal made by your guy, a roaring fire, and a dog to share it with... *Sighs with contentment* :)

Pix said...

Sounds good Deanna! I think he's a keeper :)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Ahhhh, what a lovely husband you have!!!! Sounds like a perfectly wonderful and romantic evening!

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

My husband has been saying he can't cook for 30 years, so I understand. Terry has a few specialties and we ladies know that food always tastes better if we don't have to cook it.

Those steaks look great and I'm not really a red meat eater. But nothing smells so good, like a steak on the grill, that's for sure.

Rita said...

Oh, that is just the sweetest! Everything looked delicious and Whiskey looked happy, too. :)

Vicki Lane said...

What a perfect Valentine!

LadyStyx said...

Mine had to work Valentine's Day so we went out to supper on Saturday evening. I've also been told a gift is coming, it just hasn't arrived in store yet. You see, Wally World went through inventory so it's been a rough week there and they're just now getting regular shipments again.....

Nancy said...

Sounds like a wonderful. And now he collects recipes? It just gets better!

ChicagoLady said...

What a wonderful thing for him to do for you. I bet Whiskey loved the bits he got. Maybe that's what slowed him down causing him to miss the first two throws? LOL

Intense Guy said...

:)

That's a happy family there....