Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Housing Problems

I love my birds.  I feed them all winter long,  and all summer long, and those two seasons in between.  We also have one of those sweet bird baths so they can dip their little beaks in cool refreshing water or take a bath if their little hearts desire.  Like I said, I really like my birdies.

Pretty Blue Bird
This Spring we put up a few more bird houses.  Two for Purple Martins (I call them Schwarzes because I kept forgetting their names.  Jim told me to do the name association thingy. We know a guy from church named Martin.  His last name is Schwarse.  So I think of our friend and then I can remember the name of the bird.  But I digress, and besides, I'm pretty sure I've told this story before.  We also put up a blue bird house and have two more in the wings (bird - wings - get it?) waiting to be mounted to posts.

Blue Bird House

So far we haven't seen any Purple Martins, which I'm assuming means we won't get any this year.  Especially since a family of Blue Birds moved in before the Schwarzes got to town.

Blue Bird in a Purple Martin House
 
 
Oh for Pete's sake, don't get all pissy with me.  We're not going to move you out until after your babies hatch.  But I'm telling you right now, you will be packing your things and moving eventually.
 
 
 
Usually I'm pretty easy going but I have a pet peeve that I want to share. 
We have a local newscaster who often ends his sentences with at.  Last night he said "So go online to Facebook and let us know where you are at."  How I cringed.  That irritates me about as much as people who step on the car brakes to make a turn, and then turn their signal on.  A little late there buddy, don't you think?  Do you have a pet peeve?  I'd love to hear them.
 


11 comments:

Parsley said...

Love birds too! Never seen a Purple Martin but Buntings are cute and we do have Blue Birds here too.

Ending a sentence with a preposition bothers me too but I do it often without thinking. I guess we just pick up on ways others converse, even with improper grammar.

Pix Under the Oaks said...

Good Morning Deanna! Your Bluebirds are lovely. We have a couple of little families. You don't even want to get me started on my pet peeves.. :)

Intense Guy said...

I call that kind of "turn-signalling" "unlocking the steering wheel". Drives me crazy too.

You have a nice Blue Bird photo! I love how crystal clear it is!

I've seen all sorts of swallows - but no Purple Martin Schwarzes yet (maybe they got lost in the mail?)

jewelzmomof4 said...

Love the birds!!! They are so pretty!!!! I have a ton of per peeves but a BIG one is smacking your mouth when you are chewing ( you understand what I mean?) insert food open mouth and smack smack smack until the food is swallowed.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Right like I want all of Mid-Missouri to know I'm way for two weeks!

Rita said...

The "at" doesn't bother me, but the brakes lights before the turn signal does--LOL!

Love the bluebird! We don't see them much up here. But we have tons of swallows nesting all over the building every year. I guess our apartment building is as good as a barn--LOL! ;)

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I don't get too riled up over grammar in my old age, haha, but the bad habits and just plain stupidity of drivers? Now that is a topic that I could gripe about all night long!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
AliceKay said...

We have a lot of birds around here, as you well know since my dad has put up bird houses all over the place. LOL (lots of birds = lots of bird poop all over everything too) There are lots of blue birds in the houses along the pasture that I can see from my kitchen window. Speaking of kitchen window, some bird must have dive-bombed it yesterday. Nice mess on the outside that needs cleaned soon.

My robin is back again this year and is setting on some eggs at this very moment. :)

"At" at the end of the sentence is something I'm sure I say once in awhile. "Where you at?" LOL

Hope you're having a good weekend. Stay safe from those storms heading in your direction.

Vicki Lane said...

My inner English teacher hates the improper use of lie and lay by people in the media. And those apostrophes where they shouldn't be -- as in Apple's For Sale.

But what I really hate is when someone calls by mistake and demands in an accusing tone of voice, "Who's this?"

ChicagoLady said...

Love your birdies! Wish I had some of those by me.

I wonder if your newscaster is from Chicago? It's one of the many bad ways they use English here. (I don't claim to do it, since I originated in Iowa, lol). For example, "I'm going to the store, do you want to come with?" Not "with me" but "with".

I have too many pet peeves to start, you'll never get me to stop.