Thursday, November 13, 2014

The saga of the oatmeal cookies

In the early 1970's I worked for a small state office located in downtown Jefferson City (no such place exists these days.  State office exist in great abundance - just not small ones).  When mid-day break would come around someone would often volunteer to walk the few blocks to a favorite local restaurant to buy their famous oatmeal cookies - McKinney's Restaurant.  My vague memory is that they cost $.25 each but someone else said they were only $.10.  Either way, they were cheap, even by 1970 standards.

Imagine my surprise when a friend posted the recipe on Facebook.  I knew I had to take a trip down memory lane and make me some of these cookies.



In my defense, I did not notice that in addition to the copious amounts of sugars and eggs, that the recipe also called for three cups of flour and six cups of rolled oats.  I would like to think alarms would have gone off in my head and I would have immediately cut this recipe in half.  At this point we will never know for sure.


When the recipe said to add the ingredients to a large mixing bowl, I didn't realize it meant a commercial size mixing bowl, rather than a large kitchen size.  This is not good.  Not good at all.




    So I divided the ingredients into two separate large mixing bowls




Then I combined the two sets of ingredients back into my large kitchen size mixing bowl and kneaded it so that all of the ingredients were well mixed.  (Why yes, that is a selfie of my hand.  My phone was somewhat goopy by the time these cookies were made)



Once I had the dough shaped into rolls and wrapped in plastic, I refrigerated them for the day. (I'm pretty sure  refrigerating them for the day versus night thingy didn't impact the outcome of the cookie)


And here they are.  Just as I remembered them, only mine aren't nearly as large as the McKinney oatmeal cookies.  Jim did not have the McKinney oatmeal cookie memory, so when he tasted one he said "Wow, you could sell these!"  to which I replied, "They did!"

And that is the saga of the oatmeal cookie.

10 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Laffs!

I betcha all those cookies will disappear soon enough!!

Or you will freeze some of them for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas!

And your phone likely has a calculator that will determine what the amounts are for 1/2 or 1/4 batches!!! :)

betty said...

Too cute, Deanna! I could see myself doing the same thing with mixing the batter! They look delicious though!

betty

ChicagoLady said...

Sounds like you enjoyed making the recipe, despite not realizing how big of a batch you would be making. Good thing you have plenty of kids and grandkids to share the cookies with!

Steve Skinner said...

Boy, they look go to me!

Dee said...

I'm glad I stumbled across your blog today. Your 'about me' had me laughing and I also really enjoyed this post. I just made oatmeal cookies, too. God bless you and have a great weekend... :)

Vicki Lane said...

Lard? I've used it in pie crusts (yummy) but never in cookies. I can imagine how good these are.

Flat Creek Farm said...

Ha, that is SO me.. dumping ingredients for a super size recipe into a regular size bowl.. without thinking. Your cookies look fabulous.. and that is a great memory! Now I sit here craving oatmeal cookies with my morning coffee.. gee thanks.. lol. Have a great weekend! -Tammy

AliceKay said...

I would have loved seeing your face when you realized how big this batch of cookies was going to be. :) I bet everyone loved them. Looked good to me. :)

Intense Guy said...

Hugs.

All them cookies must of made you want to nap!!!

Victoria Zigler said...

Mmm... Cookies!