Sunday, August 23, 2009

Salsa, brownies and tunes. MmMm good!

Julie and two of her boys came over on Saturday to make Salsa since everyone has had a bumper crop of tomatoes this year.  But first we had to make brownies to sustain us through all the hard work ahead of us.

Austin and Dakota grinning as they eat the brownie batter

These two are a handful!  Look at them!  Silly me, I thought you were supposed to bake brownies before you ate them. 

 Close up of Dakota lickiing the bowl Dakota was sure to get every last bit out of the bowl.  Both boys were determined that I not put too much in the cake pan for baking. 

Austin with a dirty, chocolaty, mug

A face that only a grandma could love :)

Austin, Julie and Dakota making salsa

We use a Sauce Master Food Strainer with a salsa screen on it.  The good stuff slides down the little shoot on the side and the peelings pop out the front.  It is pretty ingenious and works great.  My job was to quarter the tomatoes, Austin had the messy job of putting them into the white funnel.  Julie proved herself quite capable of pushing the tomatoes into the grinder.  Dakota was the muscles of the operation.  He had to turn the crank.

035

Who could have known making salsa took such concentration? 

Austin playing the accordion

To top the day off, Austin serenaded us.  The accordion he is playing was one I had when I was a child in the 50’s.  Cool, huh.

13 comments:

Sherri Murphy said...

Love these photos! And you know what? My Dad is STILL an accordion player- he taught lessons for many years! I never meet anyone who plays! How cool?!

Intense Guy said...

Oh cool. Chocolately faces and swished toe-maders!

:) Do you play the accordian still? Or do you just do the polka while someone else does?

LadyStyx said...

That's the best way to eat brownies!


My mom used to play accordian. She can't any more due to her arthritis. I think she still has the instrument though and all the music she used to play.

Jan Holt said...

I can't decide what is yummier... the brownie batter, the salsa extruder, or those gorgeous boys. I think all three are pretty amazing both those little helpers take the cake. (or brownies!)

AliceKay said...

That's a neat contraption you have there. Looks like it works pretty good. Also looks like you all had a day of fun and food. Always gotta lick the bowl clean...that's a rule I learned when I was a kid. :)

Austin looks like a natural playing that accordian. My maternal grandfather played one and I remember some good times sitting in his den or on his front porch listening to him play. My mom has it now.

Deanna said...

Sherri - I think of the Lawrence Welk show when I think of an accordion. I've never known anyone who actually played one - much less taught lessons!

LOL Iggy. I play the accordion now as good as I did way back then... not at all! We found it in the way way back of one of the closets in mom and dad's house. Somehow it ended up in my car and I'm glad it did.

Styxie - I agree. Actually I'm jealous that they got the batter and I didn't. It is a shame your mom can't play anymore. I play the mandolin and guitar just to keep my fingers going.

Petals - they definitely take the cake, errrr batter, errr brownies!

AliceKay it is a neat contraption. Snowman and his wife put me onto it (actually they bought it for me because I couldn't find one here). I am amazed! Three out of five of the commenters have someone in their family who plays/ed the accordion!!!! What a nice memory you have.

The Wife O Riley said...

You mean salsa doesn't come from a jar? The illusion is ruined!!! :)

Great pictures!

Leah said...

Hmm. . . All that salsa talk has made me hungry! :-D Wht a fun activity to all do together. :-D

Karla said...

I'm jealous..back when I could..I put up a couple of flats of tomatoes..salsa, juice, and whole. I have the "old fashioned" juicer..where you gotta blanch the maters to get the skins off..and then use the wooden "juicer" to squeeze it all out. Ugh!
But you guys had loads of fun! I still love licking the bowl so I'd of been with the boys :-)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Fun family times!!!

And I love, love, love that accordian! I better not let Bella see it or she'll want one too. So cool!!!

kanishk said...

She can't any more due to her arthritis. I think she still has the instrument though and all the music she used to play.
Web hosting indi

Toriz said...

Sounds like a great day. :)

ChicagoLady said...

Brownies, like cake, are always better when licked out of the bowl, lol. Looks like everyone had fun, even Austin.