Thursday, August 16, 2012

How did you spend your 16th Birthday?

Grandson, Travis, turned 16 yesterday. 

The first thing he did was get his driver's license.  Of course that is after waking up, checking facebook for all of the birthday wishes, brushing teeth (he skipped breakfast - bad boy!), and getting dressed.  I'm sure there was a text or two in there somewhere.  But the first important thing he did was take his driver's test - and he passed it (no surprise there). 

How do you think he spent the rest of his day? 

Driving around showing off?  No car. No gas money.  So no. 

Hanging out with friends?  Nope

Moping because he has no money and no friends?  Ha.  True about the money, but not true about the friends.  And no moping.

He spent the day working with Grandpa. 


Travis stacking brush


We have an eyesore on the front of our property in the form of a septic system that sticks up out of the ground.  When they installed it oh so many years ago, they hit rock, and couldn't set it into the hillside like it was supposed to be.  For all these years it has stuck out like a sore thumb.


Jim cut trees around the system so we could get dirt to the area.  As Jim cut, Travis stacked the brush.  He stacked, and stacked, and stacked!  Jim quickly discovered keeping up with a 16 year old is no easy task. 




Would you believe me if I told you this is six dump truck loads of dirt?  I wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't seen for myself each and every truck that brought a load in.  This is turning out to be a bit of an expensive project. 

Of course it wasn't all work.  His family came out for supper and birthday cake later in the evening. 



Happy Birthday to you.  Happy Birthday to you.  Happy Birthday, dear Travis!  Happy Birthday to you!




Thank you for spending your day with us... working, no less!  We are proud of you as a person, and we are proud to call you Grandson.

11 comments:

Latane Barton said...

You are a great grandson, Travis. I hope your birthday was wonderful as I imagine it was.

Intense Guy said...

Happy Birthday Travis!!!

He's a great kid to be such a dedicated brush hog!!

Sooo.. who's shoveling the dirt around? :)

Rita said...

Happy birthday to Travis! What a great kid and all that help is priceless! And on his birthday, no less. :)

I have no clue what I did on my 16th birthday. I was a junior in high school and I think I was probably just in school and doing homework.

AliceKay said...

Happy 16th Birthday, Travis! What an important day. He is a real gem, Deanna. I can see why you would be so proud of him. :)

As far as I know, you can't even take your test for a learner's permit until your 16th birthday in Pennsylvania, let alone take your driver's test. Great job, Travis. Be careful out there. (bet he has heard that a lot lately)

We had quite a few dump trucks of top soil for our septic tank project last fall. Not cheap by any means.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Happy Birthday, Travis! What a great guy to help out grandpa! And congrats on getting his driver's license. Stay safe!!
I have no clue what I did on my 16th birthday, that was only 50 years ago!! I do remember getting my driver's license, tho. I remember being very nervous, but I passed it.

Funny in My Mind said...

Did he work to make money for gas or a car?
Are you having some fabulous weather today too? It was so nice, I told those rotten dogs to go play and locked them out.

He is a good looking boy! Mine went to get his license the day after his birthday and he had a car (we bought him one, we are weasels) and has taken care of it and paid for his own gas since then (we make him work 3 days a week for us so he can pay for gas and insurance)
He also washes and keeps the inside clean.
I wish I could say the same for the other child.
That cake looks delish!!

jewelzmomof4 said...

He loves his Grandma and Grandpa very much....he would live at their house if he could.....he is a country boy at heart. I am so proud of him and have you and Dad to thank for the great start you all helped me give him. I think he is growing up to be a wonderful man!!!

ChicagoLady said...

Happy Birthday, Travis!

I'm not sure I would have been willing to do that on my birthday. Says a lot about Travis and how he feels about his grandparents to spend the day working with them.

Vicki Lane said...

Happy Birthday, Travis! What a good kid!

EG CameraGirl said...

Travis sounds like a great grandson. How lucky you are!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Travis! We are so proud of you! Dee Haslag Bash