Thursday, August 23, 2012

Out of control

I've always considered myself lucky to have a small corner of my inside world dedicated to my scrapbooking fetish.  A place where I can start a project and leave things out without messing up the rest of the house.



As you can see, things had gotten out of control.  There was no rhyme or reason to where I had stuff and scrapbooking and card making was almost becoming a chore.  It isn't much fun working in the middle of chaos.


The lightbulb came on when we got Jim a drafting table to use for his art work.  It has great work surface.  The height is perfect for standing and working or sitting on a bar stool.  His table was so much easier on my back than sitting down at my plastic folding table.  Jealousy was consuming me.  I had to have a drafting table!  So the search was on. 

Jim has become a Craigs List officiado.  He scours the lists for the unusual, the hard to find, the one man's junk is our treasure, type stuff.  And he spent many hours looking for the perfect drafting table for me.  He finally found one in a damp, moldy, basement in St. Charles, an hour and 1/2 down the road from us.  The table had originally been used at the McDonell Douglas Boeing Plant in St. Louis. 

W(H)e had to dismantle it to get it out of the basement because it appears they had put the table in all those many years ago and then built a wall around it.  Frankly, it was gross.  But it was an oak drafting table and held promise.  So we loaded it up and brought it home.  I lost count of the number of buckets of water it took to clean the mold off.  At one point I was questioning our sanity (actually I do that a lot).  But we persisted.

Then we were faced with the dilemma of fitting it into the small space allocated for it.  We had measured, of course, but still, tables don't bend around doorways.

 
Frankly, I'm not too sure how we got it in, but we did.
 

No, Jim is not putting the table back together.  He is trapped behind it and trying to crawl out.

 
Errr, putting in a computer table we no longer use to give added surface space.  Can we say trapped again?
 
 
I'll have to admit that by now I was in a fits of giggles. 

 
And now my scrapbook room is a work in progress.  I love spending time in there playing.  When the guy we bought the table from threw the long arm florescent light in free, I figured I'd never use it.  Love it!  It is so nice to be able to swing it over whatever I'm working on and really see what I'm doing.
 

 
Now I'm a card making, scrapbooking, freak.  Definitely out of control!
 

 

10 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Jim is a brave man, letting you take photos of him in all those positions.
I love craigslist, I search in most every day, multi times!
I love your new work area!

Queenie Jeannie said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!! What a great desk you have now! You'll have to do WOYWW for sure next week!

I had purchased some super comfy stool chairs at Target, that had padded seats and low backs. You might find those more comfortable for serious scrapping bouts, lol! Enjoy your new space!

Intense Guy said...

The "new space" looks awesome!!!

Just like the cards you make.

I would be most reluctant to give Jim a paint brush and say, here, go paint the floor....

He might get cornered... :)

Steve Skinner said...

If you have to be out of control, it's not a bad way to go!

jewelzmomof4 said...

I love it!!!! Dad is such a trooper!!!!! It looks great you two!!!!

ChicagoLady said...

Very nice job! What a perfect work space for you, I can imagine you getting lots done now.

Vicki Lane said...

What a great space!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I love your new crafting space...looks great! Hope you show us some of those cards you enjoy making!

AliceKay said...

What a great work area. Job well done for sure. :)

Rita said...

OMG! That was really worth all the struggle! And that lamp--priceless! What a fantastic workspace you have now. So cool!! :)