Saturday, January 9, 2016

It wasn't meant to be - at least not today

Yesterday we spent the afternoon and on into the evening with our good friends Patti and Bernie at SPBGMA (Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music of America) annual awards and overloaded on bluegrass music.  I am in awe of the talent of many families with children singing and playing with their parents.  The biggest surprise was two guys called The Moron Brothers.  A couple of Hillbillies from Kentucky, their music was toe-tapping and their routine was as funny as it was musically entertaining.   They were great and I hope we have a chance to go to one of their shows again.  Judging from the audience, bluegrass is an old folk music (we were among the youngun's there) and yet most of the performers are on the young side - so there is hope that bluegrass will survive the test of times.

Planning on a grandson weekend, our eyes constantly strayed to the weather forecast.  The plan was for the four youngest grandson's to spend Saturday and Sunday with us, helping grandpa cut wood and just having fun.  By 5:00 we had to admit defeat.  Snow and falling temperatures were heading our way - not a good wood cutting combo.  Unfortunately, wood cutting and grandson fun had to be postponed for another time.

Here we are today.

A wonderland of snow

A fire to warm our toes


And a memory board still waiting for the next message

Stay safe and warm.  Today I am extremely thankful for a roof over my head and toasty toes.



7 comments:

betty said...

Its pretty outside and toasty inside, but sorry the plans to spend time with the grandsons have to be postponed for nicer weather; hopefully soon! How fun with the blue grass; I too can be amazed at young'uns talents!

betty

Steve Skinner said...

I too am thankful for our roof each time it rains!

ChicagoLady said...

I am thankful for electricity to give me heat and light, and a good book to read.

Intense Guy said...

I hope Bluegrass is always around! I like some of the tunes too!

Looks like the grandsons will have to come another day - but I'm sure they are looking forward to it as much as you are!

Pix said...

Sounds like a fun afternoon! I was happy when the snow first came down but as it started to bend the heck out of our cedars I wanted to run out and shake all the snow off! I didn't... :) Sorry the grandsons and wood cutting didn't work out but now it's something to look forward to. More funky weather for the weekend coming up. Enjoy the week Deanne!

Vicki Lane said...

Bluegrass is alive and well in our part of the world. We used to go to bluegrass festivals but now we just listen on the radio.

AliceKay said...

Sounds like the bluegrass event was fun for everyone. I've noticed a lot of new bluegrass musicians showing up on a music website I go to and most of them are young people.

Sorry the weekend with the grandsons got sidetracked because of the snowstorm and bad weather, but it sure looks pretty out there. I hope the boys get together with you both soon.