Saturday, May 3, 2008

Some mom funnies

I've posted several blogs about mom and alzheimers. Naturally I am spending a lot more time with her these days, just sitting and visiting and talking. We often have some very strange and funny conversations. I've found that it is good to laugh, not at her, but with her and at the situation she is in. Sometimes she laughs along with me. Sometimes she just holds my hand and asks why this is happening to her. I want to share some of the more bizarre and funny little talks we've had recently.


Mom was asking me where my children are. I explained to her (for the hundreth time) that they are grown and now have children of their own. She nodded wisely and said, "You know that I raised 16 children." I told her that 16 was a lot of kids and that she actually had 4 kids. She looked at me and said, "Oh, thank goodness!"

I was helping her bathe the other night and she asked if I liked what I was doing (she thought I was a nurse or something I guess). I told her she is my mom and I would do anything for her. I guess I got a little rough scrubbing her back because she then told me, "well you sure don't do it very good!"


She looked at my dad last night while we were eating supper and said, "Ed, where is Ed?" Huh?


She sometimes knows me, but mostly I am "that girl". She wanted to know my name, so I told her it is Deanna. She asked where I got such a name. I told her that she is my mom and she gave it to me. She gasped and said, "I stuck you with that name!" We both laughed pretty hard at that one.


She was sitting in my kitchen eating supper last night. She looked at me and asked me why I had come all this way to see her. I explained she was in my house. She disagrred and said it was her house. We live in the country in the middle of the woods and the isolation has always scared her. So I told her to look out the window and asked if she really thought this was her house. She grinned and said, "no, this is definitely your house."


I'm a glass half full kinda girl and look on the positive side of things. We have a lot of not so fun times with her these days. But for some reason, probably too much medication, two weeks ago she had taken a turn for the worse and was not able to complete sentences anymore. Now she can once again complete a thought. It is usually a jumbled, wrong thought. But at least I can talk to her again and occasionally I get a glimpse of the woman who raised me.


Mom always had a saying that I never liked and felt was negative, but it was how she felt about life and things in general. After forgetting the names of her husband, kids, grandkids, brothers and sisters and where she lives, for some reason she still remembers this saying. She said it loud and clear two times last night. "Life ain't all bad, it just seems that way"

6 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I think Deanna is a beautiful name.

I'm glad you are doing pretty well with coping with things - hopefully your mom will continue to have better moments and bring more smiles to your face.

Deanna said...

Thanky Iggy. I think Deanna is a beautiful name, too. Smiles just make life a lot easier. Gotta find them wherever they are hidden.

AliceKay said...

Your mom sounds like a real treasure, and by the sounds of it, she's raised a wonderful daughter, too. I'm not sure if I could handle the situation as well as you seem to be.

It was very touching reading about your recent conversations with your mom. Thanks for sharing so much with us.

LadyStyx said...

Im with Alice. Im not certain I'd have the patience for handling a situation like you have. With any luck I'll learn it as I mature.

ChicagoLady said...

I think you're doing a wonderful job so far, punkn! I know your mom would thank you for it, if she could remember you. (J/K)

Deanna said...

lol chicky.... that was a good one... she actually does say thank you, she just doesn't know why!