Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A short getaway

Our most recent short vacation took us to the historic town of Galena, IL to meet our good friends, Dennis & Kris.  From the early to mid-1800s Galena was a mining, smelting and steam boating center.  It was one of the busiest ports on the Mississippi River.  Its future was bright, with talk of Galena even becoming the State Capital.  It only made sense since it rivaled the size of Chicago. 

Unfortunately, with the introduction of the railroad in 1854, the city began its descent into a quiet, backwater town.  Preservationists began restoring the many historic and grand buildings in the 1960's to the splendor of Galena today. 

The trip was a good get away.  We ate way too much.  Fortunately there are no laws against laughing too much, because we most certainly would have broken a few. 

I hope you enjoy the photo collages of some of the many pictures we took of Galena.


Create your own collage - Powered by Smilebox
Make a free picture collage

Click to play this Smilebox collageClick to play this Smilebox collage
Create your own collage - Powered by Smilebox
This photo collage made with Smilebox

Click to play this Smilebox collage
Create your own collage - Powered by Smilebox
Free digital collage customized with Smilebox

Click to play this Smilebox collage
Create your own collage - Powered by Smilebox
Customize a photo collage

Click to play this Smilebox collage
Create your own collage - Powered by Smilebox
This free picture collage personalized with Smilebox


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering where you got too and now I know lol I sure hope you had lots of fun and it sure looks like you did I loved the pictures thanks so much for sharing, hope you have a good day HUGS

Intense Guy said...

Thats a lot of smiles (boxes) too!

Cool way to show your pictures! Did you walk up all those stairs in the one picture??!? That would be a work out.

LOL@no law about laughing too much... lets hope it stays that way!!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I've sure enjoyed looking at your photos. Now I have yet another place that I haven't been to that I'll be putting on my list of places to see!

Glad you had a fun time! Laughter is good!!

Cheryl

AliceKay said...

I enjoyed your pictures. Iggy is right...it's a cool way to show them.

It looks like you had a nice time taking in the sights of Galena. It looks like a great place to visit.

There's a lot of history all around us, and sometimes it just takes people to do a little research to find it. Thanks for sharing part of the history near you with all of us.

(by the way, that's a lot of steps)

Vicki Lane said...

Looks like a great getaway! Love the pictures!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Fun pictures!!! I'm really going to have to try that Smile Box thingy out for myself - super cool!!

Rita said...

Boy! I'm not too savy--took me a while to figure out I could click on the pictures to enlarge them--duh! Looks like a fun time! I wonder why they wouldn't allow any pictures inside that oldest building? All this and Mark Twain, too! :):)

Toriz said...

Glad you enjoyed. :)

Rural Rambler said...

Cool getaway Deanna. Very interesting too. I am still thinking that it would be a great trip for us to take too! Glad you had a fun time!