Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Soo-ee!

No matter the heat, the show must go on.  Granddaughters Emily and Cara were showing their pigs at the Moniteau County Fair.  I was glad it was them in the ring, sweating in their boots.  At only 10:00 am, the temperature had already climbed to 95 degrees.

Emily showing her pig

Emily was focused and all business.  I know she hates it when I say this, but when did she grow up….

Anna watching and smiling

Anna was happy to be watching on the sidelines.  She and James spent the night with us last night.  They got us to the fair on time.

Cara showing her pig

Cara’s pig was over 300 lbs.  I’m not sure I would have been willing to walk around with seven or so 300 lb pigs roaming around.  She did a great job with hers though.

James watching the pig show

I think James’ eyes are browner than usual due to the chocolate doughnuts he ate for breakfast.

Emily walking her pig

Around and around we go.  Tell me again how those judges decide which pig is better than the others…. They all look the same to me.

Emily holding her ribbon, smiling

Emily proudly displays her placing ribbon.  Very proud of you Em!

Cara walking her pig

I swear Cara was playing up to the judge.  Every time she walked past him, she flashed him a killer smile.          

Cara displaying her ribbons

This is the killer smile she kept flashing.  I’d be smiling too if I was displaying a first place ribbon from the Cole  County Fair and a second place ribbon from today.

Way to go girls!  You make a grandma proud!

18 comments:

Tonia said...

Thats Protocol to Smile at the judge!Lol That is one thing they teach any of the kids showing is Make eye contact and Smile!lol
CONGRATS!! I am with you on the walking around with that many pigs they make me nervous..

Nana said...

Awwww, very sweet. I love pigs. Even though they stink. You should be proud!

Rita said...

Wow! First and second place ribbons!! Congrats to Miss Charming Smile!! You wouldn't catch me in the pen with those big pigs on a 95 degree day and sweating in my boots, but she sure did herself and her pink friend proud! Wonderful day! Great pictures! :)

Flat Creek Farm said...

What cuties they all are. You are one lucky Grandma! Congrats to all! -Tammy

AliceKay said...

Great job, girls. And great pics, grandma. :)

There was a 4-H sale at the Troy Fair last Wednesday. The animals were judged the two days before. Angela, on behalf of Shaffer's Feed Service, bought a market pig from one of our customer's kids.

(one question, grandma...what happened to their award winning pigs after the show?)

Deanna said...

Alice Kay - I believe the pigs were supposed to be auctioned off this evening. I haven't heard how they did but am hoping they did well!

Tonia, I wondered about the smiling thing. Cara was so blatant about it though!

Nana, seriously? You love pigs? What's up with that?

Rita, I didn't last past the time I had to. The minute they finished their part, I was out of there!

Thanks Tammy!

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Our kids were always in Cole county 4-H. They did steers, cured hams and smaller projects.
It seemed it was always the hottest of days spent in those barns.
Congratulations to your granddaughter!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Congratulations to your Grand-daughters!! That's a lot of hard work! I have to admit...seeing those big pigs....I just see bacon and ham, lol!!!!!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Great photos, Deanna. And congrats to your cute granddaughter!

I was never too fond of the critters myself after a hog ran straight into my leg long ago when I was helping my dad and bros. move them from one pen to another. Wow, did that hurt and I had a huge bruise for a long time. I still remember that...odd, isn't it, the things we'll remember...:)

Have a good Wednesday and try to stay cool in this Missouri heat.

Cheryl

junyah said...

Gone Hog wild.. hey nothing like a good Ole Country fair.there is still some four H'ers in the State of Maine.Its a good up bringing for the younger crowd to raise farm stock and do the shows at the fairs.(my thoughts anyway) Great Pictures Punkies as always Hugs and a squeese.. JR

Intense Guy said...

Congrats to Emily and Cara for first, second and placing!

300 pounds of 95 F oinker sounds like a lot of hot pig!

I think that smile deserves a ribbon of its own -

:)

I had to laugh at the brown eyes comes from chocolate donut theory.. it works for me!

Travis Erwin said...

I showed pigs back in my FFA days of high school but luckily the stock shows around here took place in January and February and never in that kind of heat.

Vicki Lane said...

Good for Cara and Emily! Such a great thing for kids to get involved in!

jewelzmomof4 said...

I am very proud to call them my neices!!!! They are amazing kids as are the rest of my neices and nephews!! I wish we had gotten the boys into 4H but they don't have it around here we would have to travel to another town. Again...I am one PROUD Aunt!!!!!

Toriz said...

Well done to the girls... And the pigs!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved this post Punkn, thank you so much for sharing it. When I go to the fair I love seeing the kids show their animals they just look so proud sometimes and I think it shows that they care and take responsibility of caring for their animal. The smiles on all of their faces are just priceless. I love the fair!! Hope you are well HUGS

Dorkys Ramos said...

Haha, all those pigs look the same to me too! I remember growing upand going to visit my family and their farms in the Dominican Republic. The best part was hosing down the pigs to wash and cool them down on those hot summer days.

Rural Rambler said...

Goodness Deanna I got myself all caught up in identifying with your last post that I forgot to read this post! I am thinking you deserve a blue ribbon for sitting there in the heat. I couldn't have lasted 5 minutes in that heat but I know when you are Grandma what are you gonna do? Congratulations to your Grands for placing!