Saturday, August 14, 2010

What a wonderful life

 Quilt spread out on the grass

 

A drink in hand, and an old quilt under one arm, into the orchard they headed – the only place with a clear view of the sky.     The scene above was brilliant with twinkling stars.  Gazillions of them! 

Spreading the blanket out, they laid down, gazing at the brightness and waited expectantly…   “There are so many stars out tonight, I can hardly pick out the constellations, like the big dipper,” he said.  Pointing, she said, “I think that is the North star”.  He agreed.

And then she saw it – a meteor streaking across the sky.  So fast!  Then they laid side by side, occasionally sitting up to sip on their drink.  Lazily talking.  Pointing out an occasional jet high in the sky, commenting on how slowly it seemed to be moving.  Then he saw it – another bright light zipping across the sky.  Then they started seeing them at the same time.  “There’s another one!”

--------------------------------------

We watched the meteor showers Thursday evening, and what a show it was!  We finally headed back into the house around Midnight, thrilled with God’s display of beauty.  The next night the skies were overcast and rain thundered down.  We sat on the porch and watched that beautiful display also.  What a wonderful life!

Our feet

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We wanted to watch last night but had overcast skies. How disappointing.

Di

Toriz said...

I would have watched if I could have. I used to love watching things like that. I'm glad you took the oppertunity to watch and enjoy it. :)

Anonymous said...

I wanted to try and remember to see if I could see any but I forgot, Im so glad you guys got to. One year we pulled the pick up truck around and took out blankets and coffee and snacks and the kids and that was fun. Happy weekend! HUGS

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

How cool! My luck I'd fall asleep on the blanket and wake up the next morning covered in dew!

I made your V-8 juice today. Good stuff! I got 7 1/2 pints.

AliceKay said...

What a wonderful post. :)

I'm glad you were able to view the meteor shower the other night. I've only seen a couple in my life (that I can remember), and I thought they were really cool. It sounds like you had a wonderful night together. :)

Rural Rambler said...

We would have watched but we don't have a clear view of the sky. Also I can hardly stay awake past nine! Sweet post Deanna :)

Vicki Lane said...

We had disappointing viewing conditions here -- so glad you got to see the show!

jewelzmomof4 said...

We didn't know about it till the next day :( but I am glad you and Dad enjoyed it. I remember laying on the deck as a little girl with you all watching the shooting stars it is one of my MANY wonderful memories I have as a little girl.

Intense Guy said...

:)

I hope you wished for many a splendored thing when you saw the shooting star...

...and were thankful for the blessing you have...both on the quilt and the rest of your family.

Sharon said...

I'm so jealous!!! It was too cloudy in my part of Massachusetts to see the meteor shower. I'll have to wait for the Leonids in November!

Queenie Jeannie said...

I'm so happy (and a little envious, truth be told!) for your great marriage. Your evenings sound divine!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Wasn't it great, like glimmers from heaven! I'm so glad ya got to enjoy it too!

God bless ya and have the most terrific day sweetie!!!