Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Hello again

It has been a while since I have posted.  This is partly because I’ve been very busy, but also because my mind is such a whirl of activity that I don’t know where to begin. 

In the middle of the night my eyes will pop open and the thoughts start to tumble.  Often they are thoughts of things I need to do, sometimes they are thoughts of worries, there are times I pray myself back to sleep.  The power of prayer is totally underestimated. 

Right now in the middle of preparations for Thanksgiving celebrations, I find myself thinking about all that I have to be thankful for.  The list is very long. 

My family tops the list.  They are the best.  Jim and I have gotten closer as the years have passed.  We work hard and enjoy being together.  My only complaint is that he spoils me and does things for me that I should be doing myself.  Pretty silly, huh.

We used to spend a lot of our time with the grandkids.  As they’ve gotten older, that has changed.  Our kids and grandkids are busy getting on with their lives.  I miss my time with them, but am luckier than many in that we still see them often. 

I also reflect on the fact that three of our grandkids are now teenagers.  How is that possible?!?!  They are great kids and I am very proud of them – and proud of my kids at the great job they are doing raising their families and teaching them the right way to live.

I woke up the other night with the thought in my mind that “my kids are my legacy”.  I even wrote it down because so often I have thoughts at odd times of things I want to blog about and then when it is time to blog, I cannot remember what it was…  I’ll bet you’ve all been there! 

So the next morning I saw the note that my kids are my legacy and I had to shake my head no.  That is so wrong.  My kids are not my legacy.  My life and the impact I have on the world – both good and bad – is my legacy. 

I told you my mind is overflowing!

027

I planned on posting a video of Travis wrestling, but it is still uploading.   So we will have to make do with a picture.  Travis is in the black t-shirt.  He pinned his guy in all three of his matches.

009The other thing I want to share with you is some pictures from last week’s Grandparents Day at Allen’s school.  Allen’s school went all out.  They had a program where each class did something.  Allen’s second grade class said the days of the week and number first in English and then in Spanish.  It was great.  They then treated us to huge cookies and punch.  They assured me that all calories were removed from those cookies.  Thank goodness.

021

We also went to grandparent’s day at Dakota’s and Austin’s school.  It was quite a different experience.  I’ll have to admit that I felt like we were in the way and they couldn’t wait to get rid of us.  It wasn’t the kids’ fault.  They were excited to have us there.  But nothing was planned.  We were invited to be there at 7:30 in the morning.  The kids showed us their classroom and projects they were working on.  Then at 8:00 the principal came over the intercom asking all grandparents and special friends to leave.  It was so very strange.  Jim went to Austin’s classroom and I went to Dakota’s.  Dakota’s teacher didn’t even get up from her desk to greet us.  It was like she was very uncomfortable with us being there.  Is this the difference between a small town school and a larger (by no means big city) school?  I don’t think so.  I think it is the difference between a principal who cares and one who doesn’t. 

I certainly didn’t plan on this being such a long post.  I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.  We live in a wonderful country and although times are hard for some, we all have a lot to be thankful for!     

14 comments:

betty said...

so glad you did an update Deanna! Lots to be thankful for isn't it? That is neat that you and your hubby have gotten closer, what a sweetie he is to spoil you (it is good to be spoiled at times, enjoy!). I'm sure it is a mutual type of thing!

Cute pictures of your grandkids. It must be excitiing to watch Travis wrestle!

Very interesting about grandparents day at school. I don't remember that from when my kids were in school. But I have to agree with you,the celebration at Dakota's/Austin's school seemed a bit "off" when compared to what happened at Allen's school. If their school wasn't going to go a bit out for it, why bother to have it? No what I mean?

It is good too about thinking about your legacy. Your kids are wonderful accomplishments (grands too since you raised good kids they are raising good grand kids :)
Legacies are so very interesting, what impact will we leave, etc.

Prayer is wonderful isn't it? I have to say I have the hardest time praying in the middle of the night, my mind wonders too much. Maybe if I actually concentrated on it, I would have less sleepless nights :)

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

betty

Rural Rambler said...

Hello to you Deanna! I wanted to wish you and your beautiful family a Happy Thanksgiving on this cold but wonderful MissouREE Thanksgiving Day! Enjoy!

Steve Skinner said...

As I was cooking a turkey yesterday I reflected on those things for which I'm thankful and the list was without end! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!

Rita said...

They never had a grandparent's day when I was a kid in the dark ages. They never even had a parent's day, just the evening teacher's conferences (and half the parents never attended them). Sounds like they should have called it Grandparent's Few Minutes, not Grandparent's Day.

Legacy. Now you got me thinking about that. The first thing that came to my mind was that I hoped I left more positives in my wake than negatives. :):)

Anonymous said...

Grandkids are the best. I just wrote a book about grandparenting. It's called Preparing My Heart for Grandparenting. You can learn more here: www.preparingmyheart.net. I'd love for other grandparents to know about this resource.
It affirms grandparents and includes fun ways to make memories. I interviewed grandparents and combined their quotes and stories with biblical wisdom.

Have grandparenting,

Lydia Harris (aka Grandma Tea)

Anonymous said...

Grandkids are the best. I just wrote a book about grandparenting. It's called Preparing My Heart for Grandparenting. You can learn more here: www.preparingmyheart.net. I'd love for other grandparents to know about this resource.
It affirms grandparents and includes fun ways to make memories. I interviewed grandparents and combined their quotes and stories with biblical wisdom.

Have grandparenting,

Lydia Harris (aka Grandma Tea)

Toriz said...

I always used to keep a pen and notepad beside my bed (and with me where ever I went) for random thoughts that could turn in to great ideas. That's harder to do now, but I try to note down anything I consider may be worth it. Sometimes they are brilliant ideas, other times rubbish that ends up in the bin. You never know if you don't ake the time to see how - or if -[ the thought will grow though, do you?

That's weird about the whole, "thanks for coming, now go away," attitude. I mean, if you're going to invite the children's grandparents to the school, then you could at least make them feel welcome. If you're not going to do that, why bother? *Shaking head in bewilderment*

Your family is a great thing to be thankful for... The best thing you could choose, I think.

Toriz said...

Sorry for the typos... Tired, not quite better yet, and trying to catch up on blogs before I get too tired, and end up waiting for yet another day before catching up properly.

AliceKay said...

Great pics of the grandkids (and you and Jim, too). Those two schools seem so far apart in how they want to convey their teaching and appreciation. It boggles the mind.

Huge cookies with calories removed? I think I'd like to order a couple of dozen. :)

I'll be looking for Travis' wrestling video to hit your blog in the near future.

Happy Thanksgiving, Deanna. I hope you had a great day with your family.

Vicki Lane said...

Hoping that your Thanksgiving was happy!

Intense Guy said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

You've a lot to be thankful for - and I'm thankful to know you and count you as a friend.

*Hugest Hugs*

Missouri Gal said...

You are sooo lucky. All I have is a grand dog and 2 grand kitties. Nice post and I really enjoyed reading it. On the school, boy do I know what you mean! My mom was a learning disability teacher and actually cared about her students. Most the LD teachers my kids had, both are learning disabled, did not care and were almost impossible to get a hold of. My daughter had 50 kids in her graduating class, that's it! I had to file a complaint with the superintendent’s office finally. Grr!
Anyway! Hope you have a wonderful Black Friday! Nicole

Queenie Jeannie said...

You are very, very blessed and smart enough to know it! Bravo!!!

Anonymous said...

Aww I loved your long post and it brought tears to my eyes just reading it, but happy tears. You have a big family and it is definitely sad when the little one start to grow up and seems like they dont need us much anymore, but just reading your blog I dont think you have to worry about that too much, I just know your grandkids love their grandma so much :o)