Friday, November 26, 2010

I didn’t realize…

My family is everything.  I didn’t realize it.  We stood in a circle holding hands and I lead the traditional Catholic prayer of “Bless us oh Lord for these thy gifts…” and then added my own thanks for my family.  The words stuck and tears welled.  I was more thankful than I realized.

Thanksgiving 2010 005

The food would have gotten cold had everyone given their own personal thanks, so we dug in!  It is obvious number one on everyone’s list is they are thankful for each other.

I also didn’t realize how much food I had fixed.  After cooking for days, there was enough to feed an army rather than the expected twenty-two.  The girls each brought a dish in addition to what was already there.  When all was said and done we feasted on a vegetable tray, which was gone long before the meal was served, turkey and dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn casserole, corn, broccoli rice casserole, sweet potatoes, strawberry pretzel salad, fruit salad, home made rolls, and apple bread.  Insane! 

Thanksgiving 2010 002

In addition to being thankful for my family, I was thankful that I have a big kitchen.  The kitchen table, card table, 6 ft. folding table, and the little table in the breakfast nook fit is all into one room. 

Thanksgiving 2010 003

Thanksgiving 2010 008

Several glasses of wine and full bellies later, the after dinner lethargy took over.  Stuffed doesn’t begin to describe it.  Shame on us!

Thanksgiving 2010 009

  

Time out for play.  Here is Greg trying to explain a video game to Reagan.  The rest of the grandkids headed downstairs to play pool and air hockey.  Everyone pitched in cleaning up the mess left behind, in preparation for dessert. 

 Thanksgiving 2010 006  

Time for pie!  Apple, cherry, two pumpkin, pecan along with whipped cream and ice cream. 

Thanksgiving 2010 007

Lessons learned.  Don’t bother with the salads when there is so much other good food to eat.  Three pies is enough.  Let someone else lead the prayer cuz I’m tired of everyone seeing me cry.

Yes, we have much to be thankful for. 

15 comments:

Flat Creek Farm said...

What a lovely post! My mother always leads the blessing before our big meals. And yes, she always chokes up. I know I would too! Family is number 1 on the thankful list, for sure. Bless you and yours... wow, those pies look wonderful (love the stand too). -Tammy

betty said...

It is good to cry tears of thanksgiving!! I say lead the prayer next year if you want and don't worry about the tears (I would have done the same thing :)

Wonderful pictures! Oh my gosh that food!! Love your pie holder rack, very cute!!

So much to be thankful for! So many blessings around your table, each and everyone precious in your (and God's sight :)

looked like it was a very nice day and celebration!!

so relax today and enjoy the leftovers :)

betty

Toriz said...

It's obvious how important your family are to you from the contents of your posts.
I'm glad you and your family had such a great Thanksgiving. Sounds like you had some really tasty food items.

Enjoy the leftovers.

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Looks like your family had a great time!!! The food looked wonderful !

Rita said...

No--lead the prayer and cry, Baby, cry!! Tears of liquid love are just what they need at Thanksgiving. What a wonderful time! Thanks for sharing. :):)

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

What a grand time it looks like. I love a big family. guess I should have had more kids.
Nice to see Jim's Mom there too.
I am like Tammy, that pie rack looks cool!

Missouri Gal said...

That's a really sweet post! You had a huge crowd! I'm the only child in my immediate family that got married and had kids. Neither my brother or sister came home this year. I went to the in laws and my son went with me. I think this is the first Thanksgiving my parents had alone but I'll pop by and see them this weekend.
I LOVE that strawberry pretzel stuff! It's so good!

Joy said...

Oh I am so pleased that you shared these pictures today!! What a fabulous legacy for your beautiful family ox

PS I am dying to know more about this strawberry pretzel dish - call me Canadian but I have NO idea what that could possibly look/taste like?!!

Kelly

AliceKay said...

I have no idea what strawberry pretzel salad is either but it sure sounds good.

You have a wonderful family and you show your love in so many ways. What a blessing.

I got hungry just looking at your pics. :) The food looked delicious. You're lucky to have a big kitchen. I'd give anything to have more space.

I'm with the others...you should lead the prayer again next year. *hugs*

Nice post.

Queenie Jeannie said...

What a beautiful Thanksgiving you had!! I'm jealous of your large family and all those kids running around. We're down to just The Bella though, and really, she's enough to occupy BOTH hands, lol!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

My goodness gracious I would not know how to act with all those people over. You definitely are lucky to be able to have get togethers like that. My hubbys kids dont even bother to talk to him much, but my daughter she does so I am so thankful for her. Thank you for sharing and I love how you all held hands and prayed before you ate :o) HUGS

Intense Guy said...

Hugs.

22 people *is* an Army! And the food looks delish!

I'm sure there was a lot of warm, happy, contented, loving people around all those tables - all of them giving thanks for being blessed to be with each other.

:) This is what a family *is*...

Tonia said...

Ahhh I love it! We had way more food than was needed but it is so yummy. Turkey coma hit here soon after and we are still feeling the effects!lol

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Of all the holidays I think I love Thanksgiving the most. It certainly looks like you had a wonderful day with your loved ones.

jewelzmomof4 said...

Yes it was a WONDERFUL day!!!! I wish Doug had been able to be there. I had so much fun especially at dinner talking with Tessa, Bill, Greg and Alicia. We had so much fun sitting around the table laughing and talking non stop!! Mom we are use to you crying at family events it wouldn't be a holiday without you breaking down in tears LOL. I am very Thankfull for ALL of my family and love each and everyone of you.