Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Every year the light show at Silver Dollar City gets bigger and better.  Here is what it looked like this year.

Almost 39 years ago, Jim and I honeymooned at Silver Dollar City in Branson.  It has remained one of our favorite places to get away to whenever we have a chance.  Since it has been several years since we’ve been there – it was time to check out their famous display of Christmas lights.  We weren’t disappointed.

This swinging bridge is located smack dab in the middle of the city – connecting the old with the new.  SDC is 50 years old this year.  My family went their for one of our few vacations early on – probably its fourth year of operation.  The roads leading to the city were still gravel.  They are now 4 and 6 lane highways.  This swinging bridge was the entrance into the city.

swinging bridge connecting one side of SDC to the other

By 5:30 it is quite dark and all around were displays of trees like this red one.

      

Tree covered with lights

And this cluster of trees was such a pretty sight.

multitude of beautifully lit trees 

This little Wilderness Church is always a peaceful place to stop for a bit and think about the beauty of this world we live in.  It has a large window overlooking the Ozark valley below.

log cabin church lit up with lights

One of the quaintness of the city is that you never know where you are going to find the

music of the Ozarks.  We happened onto this jam session in a little log cabin.  It was one of the highlights of our trip.

Jam session in log cabin

A trip to SDC is not complete without a trek in the caverns of Marvel Cave.  To read more about it go here. 

These concrete steps lead down into the many narrow, sometimes low, twisty and turny pathways through the cave.

concrete steps down into the cave

Yes, this really is a passage way we walked through.

a cave passageway

And here you see daylight from about 1/4 of the way down in the cave.  I took many more pictures, but photos of what is a magnificent site to the naked eye, is sometimes not able to be captured on film.  That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

looking up to the opening to outside from inside cave

I hope you enjoyed this little jaunt into Silver Dollar City with me.

14 comments:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Thanks for taking me on a pictural trip. I haven't been to Silver Dollar City since I was pregnant with Sarah and she will be 27 years old in two weeks.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I love your pictures, Deanna. I've never been able to capture the beauty of the lights at SDC with my camera, they usually turn out blurry. I, too, love the little cabin where the Homestead Pickers perform...it's always a must stop for us. I'm really just in love with the whole place, even with the crowds of people it has a special something that is hard to define. I'll be there in a little over a week! Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos.

Have a great day,
Cheryl

Tonia said...

I havent been to SDC or Marvel Cave since I was in 8th grade(1988).. I would like to see the Christmas lights but its next to impossible on our budget to take 5 what would be considered adults.. We always say we woudl like to get season passes one year but back out every year as we have found other things we like better!LOL Beautiful pictures though and a Beautiful part of Missouri!

Missouri Gal said...

Oh thank you for sharing your photos! They are very pretty!
Last time I was in SDC was 1986. The price is too high for me but I loved going there as a kid!
I always was so car sick by the time we got there back in the 70's that I felt awful most the day! As the hwy got better into Branson, SDC ticket prices went up. Haven't been there since. I say I want to go every year but never do.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Nobody lights up Christmas like Silver Dollar City. Aren't we a couple of wild and crazy gals honeymooin' in Branson in the winter. We married in January and got snowed in. Back then there wasn't much happenin' in the winter months. Thanks so much for sharin' your beautiful tour.

God bless ya and have an incredible day sweetie!!!

Steve Skinner said...

Weather permitting, I'll be hanging our Christmas lights sometime next week but they won't be any near as exciting as Silver Dollar City's!

betty said...

what a wonderful display of lights! Makes you wonder how long it took to put it all together and how many lights used! that bridge sure was interesting; not sure if I would be daring to attempt it! beautiful area to get into the festive spirit!

betty

AliceKay said...

Very nice display. The video was really great, too. It was cool to see that tree in the middle light up with the beat of the music. Thanks for posting it for us. Looks like a fantastic place to visit.

When a friend and I were talking about our trip to Texas last year, she mentioned Silver Dollar City. I had never heard of it before, but it looked like a nice place from what I had seen online. Time and money prevented us from going in that direction, though, so we never made it there.

Nice post. I always love seeing your pictures and reading your stories. :)

Rita said...

That really looks like a fun trip! The lights, the cave--well, maybe not the cave...some of those pictures made me feel claustrophobic! LOL! Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us. :)

Anonymous said...

I would so love to go there and see all that. I would be like a little kid, I love Christmas lights!! I loved the swinging bridge and that entrance to the cave looks kinda spooky, hehe. Thanks so much for sharing, I did enjoy it so much, HUGS

Toriz said...

Sounds like a nice place to visit!

junyah said...

You live in one of the most fanstic states in the union. Im going to have lights on the house this year.I want to put a sting around the edge of the eves and have all blue ones, Penny says why not Green and white and red? So i guess thats what its going to end up.I dont think i could do the cave thing,
(Claustrophobia) Thanks for shareing. Oh and you also have the bestest Family.t/c Hugs U YOP JR

Intense Guy said...

Beautiful pictures...

And I'm betting all those cave pictures were just as awesome - or the camera didn't have the memory card in it...

:)

I hope you are well - I owe you an email -

jewelzmomof4 said...

That was really neat Mom. I remember going there as a little girl and I always treasure those memories. It really is a magical place weather it is spring, summer, fall or winter. Just taking a step into SDC is like taking a step back in time and I think it is so neat and a really great place to take kids because although it is a BLAST as a kid (and adult) to go it also shows them how things were long ago and might make them appreciate what they have now in this time. Thanks for sharing Mom it really was beautiful!!!! I can almost smell SDC just thinking about it LOL