Friday, April 15, 2011

Roses and more

We decided to turn one of our flower gardens into a rose garden this year.  So we found the sunniest spot in these woods of ours – quite a challenge, I’ll tell you – and planned a rose garden.

We laid things out and figured on the number of bushes needed. 
I went to work and Jim headed to pick up the plants. 
The plan was for one knockout type bush in each corner and the rest tea roses. 
When I got home after dark last night, I couldn’t resist looking at the rose garden. 


Rose Garden
Rose bushes
   
Can you see all of the rose bushes?  Obviously it is not done, but Jim wanted to get the plants in before last night’s rain.  I’m wondering if it is not a bit of overkill.  But I do love roses!  He went to Aldi’s after receiving a tip form Osage Bluff Quilter that they had knockouts and tea roses fairly inexpensive.  Bloom roses bloom!


IMG_0553
Bluebells

We had a wonderful visit with Patti and The Blacksmith.   The Blacksmith dug Bluebells for us to add to our collection of flowers.  I believe they are going to be a great addition to our Hosta garden where Jim planted them.  My only hope is that they turn out as pretty as the ones pictured in Patti's post. 


IMG_0554
Angel Hair or Maiden Hair - not sure which it is called
         They also gave us some grass that grows tall and beautiful.  I thought Patti called it Angel Hair, but Jim is sure The Blacksmith called it Maiden Hair.  So we call it Maingel Hair.  Not really.  I’m sure Patti will clear it up in her comments… please….


IMG_0558
Beautiful white Dogwood Tree blooms
Our woods are alive with the beauty of Dogwood blooms. 



IMG_0559
More Dogwood trees!

It doesn’t get any prettier than this – even if the skies are threatening rain as I scoot back into the house.

10 comments:

Funny in My Mind said...

Love the roses, they will be beautiful!
I adore hostas, especially the bluish colored ones, hard to find. We just bought a crab apple tree at MFA (they and True Value have the best plants if you don't want to spend nursery prices)and our pears and cherry and dogwoods were blooming so pretty til last night when the wind blew all the blossoms away. No tornadoes though.

Toriz said...

I love roses... Yellow roses are my favourite flower!

Hope you end up with a beautiful rose garden!

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

You all got that "maiden hair" grass planted just in time. The rain will make it perk right up!
Glad we could help out!
Stay safe. Skies are dark!

Rita said...

I think the rose garden will be gorgeous and want pictures in the fall! You live in such a pretty area. Looks so lovely and peaceful! Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Hi Deanna, your rose garden will be beautiful. About the only roses I have any luck with are the Knockouts. I believe it was you that asked me where I got them? I have gotten them at WalMart and I ordered some this year from Stark Bros. They were a little pricey, but I wanted some other colors than the dark rose color I can only find at WalMart. Plus I'm getting lazy and didn't want to traipse around everywhere looking! Your dogwood trees are so pretty, we don't have any of those just the redbuds. Have a great weekend!

Janet said...

I love spring in Missouri! Everything is so beautiful when it gets warm out and plants come to life. You must post pictures of those roses in bloom.

Intense Guy said...

:) I think you should call it Maingel hair anyway... consider it your own special species!

I hope all the lowers grow and bloom pretty for you - and that last photo is ... so inviting! Rain or otherwise! I do love dogwoods... I've just said that somewhere else...

AliceKay said...

Great photos. I can't wait to see what beautiful roses grow on those bushes. I've never had much luck in growing roses where I live.

Your Flowering Dogwood trees are beautiful.

Have a great weekend. We're supposed to get hit with heavy rains and winds tomorrow.

betty said...

I look forward to seeing your rose garden down the road as things grow and bloom! I am sure it will be so ever pretty!! Lots of woods you have there!! I think we Californians get a bit "land envy" since so many of us live right on top of our neighbors (I'm sure I mentioned this before) so to see abundance of land with budding, blooming trees like this never ceases to amaze me!!

enjoy your weekend!

betty

Anonymous said...

Wow that rose bed is going to be so gorgeous I cant wait to see it when it is taking off and in bloom. The dogwoods are just breathtaking :o) HUGS I hope you are having a good week.