Monday, April 4, 2011

A this and that weekend

The temperatures climbed to the 90’s yesterday and then plummeted to the 40’s overnight, and finally settling into the 50’s today.  It is definitely Spring in Missouri.
This lonely bloom was way ahead of the many other blooms maturing on our Magnolia Bush.
IMG_1661
I greatly appreciate her effort at brightening the landscape.
IMG_1638
Anna and James spent the weekend with us and since James turns 6 next week, we did a bit of early birthday shopping and ended up with a Lego castle set.  We seem to have a bit of Legomania going on around here.  Anna was a trooper helping him figure out how to put them together.
IMG_1662
Now I’m not going to say I’m into child labor, but the fact is that when you work hard, good things come your way.
IMG_1631
We raked leaves (yes, we rake leaves both Fall and Spring in these woods).  And then we they took the leap
  
IMG_1636 
and jumped into them.  We did eventually rake them up and haul them away.
IMG_1637
The winds and rain, and ice and snow of winter left the ground littered with tree limbs.  The kids picked up sticks and hauled them to the fire pit.  
IMG_1645
   
There was a little bit of incentive added for their hard work.
IMG_1654
A wiener roast!  We have a few lessons learned from this wiener roast.  1.  We need stronger poles for roasting BallPark type hotdogs than wire coat hangers; 2. Normal marshmallows work better for S’mores than those humongous ones available in the stores today.  Those great big ones don’t squish down right; and 3. along with the food and paper towels, a wet rag is a must after eating S’mores.
IMG_1665
Our weekend with the kids ended a bit sooner than we expected.  Their dad was waiting to take them home when we got home from Church Sunday morning.  Now what?  We had a whole day ahead of us with no plans!  So we hopped into the car and took the winding, ridge running, roads to Osage County and Frankenstein, where we checked out the hard to find Dudenhoeffer’s Nursery.  It is a bit early to put out new plants, but we bought a few plants anyway and have them sitting safely in our garage. 
IMG_1655

Now, if the temperatures would just settle into moderate Spring like temperatures.  No more of these crazy highs and lows.  It isn’t healthy!

13 comments:

Rita said...

OMGosh! What a fabulous time. I always had my son help with chores, doing what he could. And we had fun times working together. Your photos brought back memories!

Love your lessons from the wienie roast!! It is so nice to gaze upon actual flowers already from your part of the world. Great post! And a great weekend!! :)

Funny in My Mind said...

We still have a lot of leaves on the fence line and my husband blew them out with the leaf blower and mowed them with the Deere and more are back today. We had crazy wind yesterday and worse last night! Did you? I wish we had kids around to help with yard work- well we do have one.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

The wind was terrible yesterday and then the storms blew through last night. That means that there will be a lot more little limbs and sticks to pick up in the yard just after I picked up the day before! Can I borrow your grandchildren to help me? I don't have any yet and they look like great help. The wiener roast looks fun and sounds good, too.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

I'm glad someone else uses child labor too! Ya gotta love those kids.
What a difference a day can make in this crazy Missouri weather!

Intense Guy said...

LOL@Child Labor - I thought this was what kids were for... My folks thought the same way.

Aren't the bright yellow daffydils wonderful to see? The trees are still bare here - with a hint of budding... they are late. Probably confused by the gooy groundhog and the wild temperature swings.

I'm not sure I'm ready for 90F just yet... can't we have spring first? LOL!

AliceKay said...

It looks like you had a great weekend with your grandkids. I'll be glad when Ryan is old enough to help out in the yard like that. I don't enjoy picking up all of the pine cones and tree limbs. He could do a good job...he's shorter so not so far to bend over. :) Our yard is a mess right now, but it's still too wet to work out there. The last of the snow in the yard melted (or washed away) last night.

Nice bloom on the Magnolia Bush. Good sign that spring is close by. I took some pictures of Terri's crocuses when I got home from work Saturday afternoon, but they're still on my camera.

Legos make great gifts. :)

I hope the bad weather avoided your area today. We had a quick thunderstorm roll thru around 12:30 and there's more rain on the way tonight. April showers bring May flowers. (and pollen and sneezing)

Loved the pics. :)

Rural Rambler said...

Looks beautiful at your place Deanna. Woodsy and wonderfully country! What a fun day and the cook out sounds very good! I just keep thinking what great memories your grands will have. So much fun :) I like your "this and that weekend"! But the wind! MissouREE has had the goofiest weather lately, even too goofy for MissouREE!

betty said...

How fun to have some of the grands for a night and day of fun and a bit of work, though I bet they enjoyed doing that type of work and helping their grands! I bet the wiener roast was a great success with a few minor adjustments needed for the next one!! I liked the bud on your magnolia tree, I don't think we have those here so haven't seen them bud before.

betty

Anonymous said...

Looks like everyone was having fun and wow it has been forever since I have roasted a marshmallow or a weenie sounds so yummy and brings back memories for sure. I hate raking too and we have to do it here with our woods around us ugh! I just do it once a year I dont care what falls after that LOL I love going to buy plants of any kind cant wait to see yours, hint hint hehehe.

Nana said...

Hey, you feed em so it's o.k. to make them work a little.

I agree this weather is crazy. i have a sore throat this morning.

Toriz said...

Sounds to me like a great way to spend the weekend!

jewelzmomof4 said...

Looks like you all had a great weekend!! But I do see one problem.....you let James and Anna do all that hard work so now what are my boys gonna do?? LOL They need to work off some of this energy they have...well once they are all healthy LOL.

Steve Skinner said...

I love the image of the Magnolia bud. It reminds me that spring will one day very soon arrive here too!