Thursday, September 22, 2011

Together Again



I've had this utility cabinet for a few years now.  It first belonged to my grandma, then my mom, and now me.  It is kind of like a magic cabinet - it holds way more than anyone would ever think possible.  Canned goods, paper goods, canners, canning supplies and other odds and ends.  It is amazing!  And the best thing about it is that it has history... my family history.  Love it.


Utility cabinet with an endless capacity for holding stuff
 As I mentioned in my previous post, we spent Saturday at my Aunt Jane and Uncle Ivo's estate auction.  Imagine our surprise when Jim spotted a twin to our cabinet.  A twin!  I can only speculate here, but I am assuming that when this family of eight children divided up their parent's possession's, mom took one of these cabinets, and her sister, Jane, took the other.

There are two of them!
And now they sit side by side, with a concrete wall separating them - just in case there are any hard feelings or unsettled sibling rivalries still exist.  I did hear them whispering to each other last night after they thought I had gone to bed.  Something about "remember when..."

For $35 and a little heavy lifting, we were able to rejoin these two



Back seat of our truck after Jane and Ivo's estate auction
The reason all this junk is in the backseat of our pickup was because the bed was already full to overflowing.
The bed of the pickup - filled to the brim
So..... like it or not, folks, there will be more auction posts in the coming weeks. 





12 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Did you hear the one singing? Sounded like Emmylou Harris....

Together again my tears have stopped falling
The long lonely nights are now at an end
The key to my heart you hold in your hand
But nothing else matters cause we're together again

Together again the grey skies are gone
You're back in my arms right where you belong
The love that we knew is living again
And nothing else matters cause we're together again

Together again my tears have stopped falling
The long lonely nights are now at an end
The love that we knew is living again
And nothing else matters now we're together again
No nothing else matters now we're together again ...

:)

You really "picked up" a load of stuff!!!

So sweet!

junyah said...

A Good Friend of mine is an Auctioneer.He has a sporting good auction every spring and fall.Since i know ahead of time when hes going to have one, i get to look at the good's.To me its like a kid in a candy store with only a Nickel.Seems he never has one around my payday so i have to write him a rubber check.He knows im good for it though.hey ive gotten some good deals and i have gotten some Junk too. Y.O. P JuNYaH HUgssssss...........

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

I can't wait to see more. Especially the skillet that I am envy of! #11 Wagner

Cheryl @ TFD said...

What a great buy! I'm still kicking myself that I didn't get a similar one at my FIL's. They DO hold a lot of stuff. Looking forward to seeing your other purchases!

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

What a treasure to have them both together again. And you are the winner with all new storage space.

I've only been to one auction and bought a huge cherry hutch that now lives with a daughter. You look like you found some wonderful treasures too.

Texas Gal said...

I wish I could find bargains like that!! $35.00 to bring two pieces of family history together! Wow! You are blessed!

spacegirl60 said...

Now where is that "like" button on this blog? LOL That is cool you have the mate to your cabinet.

Rita said...

Congrats!! That is just soooo cool that you got the two cabinets together again after all these years!! They look very happy. ;) And for only $35.00! Wow! Meant to be. :)

I hope you do show us all the other goodies you got that filled the truck inside and out!

AliceKay said...

I like, I like! :)

Those cabinets are beautiful. I'm glad you were able to purchase the one from your aunt's estate. They look great together. :)

ChicagoLady said...

So happy the two cabinets are together again. Now if you could just get them in the act of talking...

*giggles*

betty said...

That was cool to get the matching cabinet, Deanna, and the history behind it! And I'm sure you'll now be able to pass down the two of them to whoever gets them next to keep them in the family many years from now!

Looking forward to reading more of those auction finds!

betty

Toriz said...

How wonderful... A cabinet family reunion! :)