Monday, September 19, 2011

What a busy last few weeks it has been around here.  This weekend was certainly no exception.

My late Aunt Jane and Uncle Ivo's estate sale was this past Saturday.  My head is swirling with thoughts about that.  We did come home with some things that are treasures to me.  More about that in a post soon to come.  I promise.  Especially since I am pretty excited about some of my finds.

Sunday we went to the Heritage Festival in Columbia, MO.  Our friends, Bernie, The Osage Bluff Blacksmith, and his wife, Patti, the Osage Bluff Quilter, were there, demonstrating the almost lost art of Blacksmithing.


The Blacksmith had quite a crowd watching the embers fly as he hammered and pounded red hot mounds of iron into things like forks, dinner bells, crosses, and all sorts of things. 



Patti had her hands full answering questions and selling the wares.  I hope they had a successful couple of days.
 My mind is still boggling at the amount of work that goes into making the period costumes, setting up shop, working all day, taking everything down at the end of the day and dragging it home, only to return the next day to do it all over again. 

Patti & The Blacksmith
Jim bought this torture hook.  He claims he will be using it to turn meat on the grill.  Uh huh.

When we left the festival, we decided to head 15 miles or so up the road to Clark, MO.  Patti was telling us there is an Amish community there that sells furniture, wonderfuol baked goods, and stuff.  Even though we knew they would be closed on a Sunday, we decided to take the short drive before heading home.  We were glad we did.

Scenic drive to Clark, MO.
We must have hit the returning home from church services traffic.  Buggies were everywhere. 

I'm pretty sure Ida and Eula didn't know these grass mowers were on the wrong side of the fence. 
They didn't look like they planned on going past the green, green grass of home.

Children were playing in many of the yards.  It looked like they were all dressed in their Sunday best, but as far as I could tell, not a single child had shoes on.  I had to smile and shiver a little at this, since the high temperatures yesterday were only 65.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Stinkeye here is saying he hopes everyone has a wonderful week!

13 comments:

AliceKay said...

Can't wait to hear (and see) what you found at your aunt and uncle's estate auction. :)

Your friends look like they enjoyed the festival. I can only imagine how much work is involved in something like that, tho. There was a heritage festival in Troy this past weekend. We've never gone to it, but it's something I'd probably enjoy.

Loved the pics of the Amish buggies and kids playing. And those sheep...they looked like they were having a good time, too. Even Mr. Stinkeye. LOL

It looks like you had a nice weekend. :)

ChicagoLady said...

I can't wait to hear about what you got at the estate sale.

Torture hook? Based on the size, I'm wondering what kind of grill he'll be using, lol.

There are times when I'm fascinated by the ability of the Amish to continue to live so simply.

Steve Skinner said...

Sounds like it was a great weekend. I like the meat hook, I'll have to look into getting one for me grilling adventures.

Rita said...

Yes, waiting to see what you got at the estate sale!
That looks like a lot of work for those festivals. All the various "lost" arts are treasures that I am glad there are a few souls who still retain the skills. I wonder if he is passing on his blacksmith knowledge to anyone? That torture hook doesn't look like it is for barbecues--LOL!
The Amish are fascinating, aren't they? And usually do such wonderful craft or woodworking and excellent baking. Love the stink-eye sheep!
What a great trip! :):)

betty said...

It looked like a wonderful Sunday, Deanna. I think I would have enjoyed that extra drive you took; looks like scenic peaceful country! Looking forward to hearing and seeing what the finds you found at the estate sale. Maybe there will be something extra in there too, LOL. At my uncle's estate sale years ago, he liked to make grandfather clocks. My sister bought one of them; came home with the clock, was looking through it and find an envelope with $5000 cash in there; guess Uncle Stan liked to hide money in places like that. We wonder how many other clocks might have gone home with extra cash like that. My sister did turn the money back over to the estate. So who knows what might be in your treasures.

betty

Tessa said...

Love the pics mom. I have to tell you a funny on James. We picked up Jacob Yoder, the son of Mose, to help deliver and install our pantry shelves. As soon as he got there James runs out and blurts, "Hey Jacob, I go barefoot, just like the Amish!" (he does too. Even in the winter) I just thought it was cute and funny how that is what James associates with the Amish. Not the hats or buggies - but the bare feet!

Intense Guy said...

Beautiful photos!!!

And beautiful friends too!

:) *imagines what sort of trouble Jim is going to get into with his new "toy"*

GardenOfDaisies said...

Look like a fun day! About the fabric stash... everyone is different. So just take the picture the way you normally have it! I have a friend who has a "great wall of fabric" , shelves and shelves full of fabric. She tries to organize it about once a year but the rest of the time it's just a big jumble. And it works for her. The world would be boring if we were all the same.

GardenOfDaisies said...

PS Tell Mr Stinkeye that I am having a great week!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I wish I'd gotten to go to the festival. Looks like a fun day. The Clark trip is one I want to take this fall, too. I love to go there and look around and buy a few goodies, too! These past two days have been wonderful, haven't they? We better enjoy them while they last!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

It looks like everyone had a great time despite the cool rain which we needed so very badly.

We moved my spunky little MIL into assisted living and have been cleanin' out that big old farm house filled with generational treasures. Whew...what a job.

God bless ya and have a most beautiful day sweetie!!!

Toriz said...

Definately sounds like you've been busy!

Some people don't notice the cold as much as others. Personally I'm one of those people who could have probably been out there barefoot along with the children. I hate wearing shoes, and - to be honest - would prefer cold feet to wearing shoes... Perhaps the children are the same? Plus, 65F isn't all that cold...

Travis Erwin said...

All of my mom's family is from Bethany Missouri originally.