Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Go rest high

 
With the temperatures climbing into the 60's last Saturday, we abandoned all thoughts of cleaning the house, as we had planned, grabbed a picnic lunch, and headed to destiny's unknown.  We ultimately ended up in the little town of Chamois, MO, visiting Jim's dad, Elmer.  It seemed fitting to spend some time with him on such a beautiful day, since last week marked the 17th anniversary of his passing. 
 
After all of these years, I still think of Elmer with a smile on my face.  He called me Nana and treated me like a daughter.  A mechanic by trade, he spent all of his spare time as a shade tree mechanic, bringing car motors back to life and banging dents out of old cars.  He was the worst money manager known to this universe, seeming to never have two nickels to rub together.  But somehow, he kept his family fed and a roof over their heads.  He was a great grandpa to my kids, letting them crawl all over his big belly as he laid on the cool concrete of the car port when the heat of summer was too much for him.  He also called them "little shit asses".  He was a good dad to Jim, as he shook his head in disbelief that his son would build his house in the middle of "all those tall trees".  We loved him and still get teary eyed when we reminesce about him.
 
Elmer is layed to rest with many other relatives in the Most Pure Heart of Mary Cemetery.  So, go rest high where the Eagles soar, Elmer.  We love you and miss you.
 
Most Pure Heart of Mary Cemetery, Chamois, MO, overlooking the little town and the river bluffs.
View from cemetery, overlooking farm land, railroad tracks, and the Missouri River.

As we walked among the graves of oh so many relatives, we heard the unmistakable trill of an Eagle.  Pure majesty.
 
 
 
 
The country road, Hwy. 100, back to Callaway County.  See ya Elmer!




10 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

A beautiful location for a final resting place.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

At work we got news last week that the Chamois Power Plant will more then likely close by next year. So sad putting 30 people out of work.

Glad you got to spend time with what sounds like a great man. Almost a carbon copy of the blacksmith's dad.

betty said...

What a beautiful place for a final resting place; I can see why you would want to go and visit Elmer and so many others; he did seem like a good man; it is neat he will live on through your memories. I've never seen an eagle flying like that; majestic! You got a great picture of him too Deanna!

betty

Deanna said...

We heard about the power plant closing. I don't know how that little town wil survive.

Flat Creek Farm said...

Oh, what a lovely resting place! And a sweet post from the heart. I certainly felt that way about my mother-in-law.. miss her every day. While reading this I was thinking... I've probably maybe -hhmmm.. have I been to Chamois? I'm getting old and forgetful :p -Tammy

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

I don't think I have ever been to Chamois, probably zipped thru it. How cool to spot an eagle on your visit to Elmer!
Where are those 60's today?

jewelzmomof4 said...

Oh Mom I am just in tears.....I think about Grandpa Haslag a LOT and I can't hear that song without tearing up. He really was one of the greatest Grandpas EVER. Between him and Grandpa Hood I think we were the luckiest kids in the world in the Grandpa department. I Love him so much and miss him so much too. I see him in Travis and James most of all. I think I was "shit ass" amd tessa was "Damnit" or maybe it was the other was around lol. Still to this day I believe that grandpa went to heaven and gave God pointers on how to create the perfect kids for all his Grand kids. Between the two of them they did a Bang up job!!!!

AliceKay said...

Beautiful story of someone who sounds like he loved his family very much. You were all very fortunate. I agree with the others who have commented before me. That is a beautiful final resting place.

All of your pictures are beautiful. How lucky to have seen an eagle soaring overhead, too. :)

Thank you for sharing your story and your pictures. *hugs*

ChicagoLady said...

Thank you for sharing some of your memories of Elmer. He sounds like a wonder man. And such a beautiful resting place.

Intense Guy said...

Chicago said what I was going to say.

A fitting... beautiful spot... for a beautiful man...

..with a beautiful legacy (his children and their children).