Thursday, January 3, 2013

Here it is the first Thursday of the new year.  I have not yet been to work this week, so am faced with trying to get 15 hours of work done in 5 hours.  We all know that's not possible, so either some things won't get done or I'll be working tomorrow too.  I usually try to never work on Monday's or Fridays.  Remember, this is a part time job with flexible hours.  That is why I took it.  Flexible hours.  I am anti-schedule.

We still have a couple of inches of snow on the ground - nothing compared to my friends "back east".  But it is enough to hinder my fine feathered friends.  They will get fed this morning before I leave! 

Last night the church quilters were back at it after a two week Holiday break.  We put in a new quilt.  Ironically, it is a beautiful Christmas quilt.  Think we might get it done in time for next Christmas?  I would hope so.  A quilt usually takes us a month or two.  We only have 6 quilters.  Three quilt 2 hours on Tuesday morings, and 3 of us quilt for 2 hours on Wednesday evenings.  It is hard for me to get motivated to leave the house when the temperatures are below freezing and snow is on the ground.  But I'm always glad I do.  Last night there were four of us.  After putting the new quilt in, we stitched and talked.  The conversation flowed about family and celebrations and the weather.  None of us broached topic of the political world.  I don't think we wanted to upset the ease of the evening.  We were thrilled when our two more experienced and faster quilters were able "to roll".  That is always a good feeling to be able to roll the quilt before heading home.

Well, Whiskey is warming my lap, but that is soon to change.  Many things to do today.  I will leave you with a quote from one of my favorite authors:

“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” 
 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

9 comments:

betty said...

I was on another blog today and I guess its Tolkien day today? Not sure if its his birthday, but people who are fans of his were drinking a toast in his honor. I do like that quote.

How fun with quilting, Deanna. It reminds me of something people would do "on the prairie". Get together and socialize and quilt. I think the world needs more of that friendship and socializing!

Stay warm!

betty

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Great quote, Deanna. Hope you get the work caught up! Oh, and have fun quilting. That's something I wish I could do well...that and a few dozen other things!

ChicagoLady said...

Today was my first day of work this week too! My excuse was taking a sick day yesterday after getting a cold right after Christmas. Whatever is going around, I don't want any more of it!

Pix said...

Sunny and warmer today! Snow tomorrow.. :(

AliceKay said...

Today (Friday) was my first day back to work after a week of sick days and a holiday in between. (sick on the holiday too so it wasn't any fun)

I was always amazed at the quilts my grandmother used to make. I have one here with me, and Karen has one at her house. True works of art given from the heart.

Still lots of snow here and still bitter cold. I'm ready for summer, but I'm afraid we have a lot more winter to get thru first.

Enjoy your weekend. *hugs*

Vicki Lane said...

Quilting with a group is such a joy. A great way to socialize while getting something done.

Vicki Lane said...

Quilting with a group is such a joy. A great way to socialize while getting something done.

Queenie Jeannie said...

You can imagine my surprise and delight when we arrived back in Germany to find NO SNOW and quite warm temperatures!!! It was snowing quite heavily the day we left, and we had tons on the ground already. It all melted while we were away - yay!!! This morning I was hot in my heavy winter coat....my kind of "winter", lol!!

I hope you stay warm and you get all caught up at work. (I didn't even know you worked outside the house!) Quilting is something I don't think I'd have the patience for, although I admire the craftmanship!!!!

Speaking of which, THANK YOU for the gorgeous card. You did an amazing job and I see you got sucked into all the cool new SU goodies right along with me!! :D

Have a great week!

Intense Guy said...

I hope we get so see some photos of the quilts (and perhaps the quilters if they are open to the idea)!

Hugs-today they are needed.