Thursday, February 28, 2013

Scrapbook Nook

My scrapbook nook was out of control.


These plastic drawers held a lot of stuff, but were taking up a lot of useful desktop area (I believe that is referred to as real estate?).   I tried an idea of adhering strips of magnets to a frame to store my metal framelet type dyes.  Bad idea.  It didn't work well,  The strips sometimes let loose, or the dyes fell off.  It had to go.

 
At one time this table worked, but I needed shelves!  Lots and lots of shelves.

 


There were so many "tools" on the desk top that I had no room to scrapbook.  Something had to give.

Everything was moved out of the room and the walls painted a soft blue.  The plastic storage units were dismantled and the drawers placed on shelves, or stored underneath the table.  Jim built an extension to the drafting table that now holds the computer, scanner and printer.  Paper holders that were previously being used to hold stamp sets, had the shelves put back in and now sort all the various colors of paper.  I splurged on a stamp caddy so I could finally organize and see what stamp pad colors I have. 

The folding table was removed and Jim built a narrow shelf with movable shelves.  I used baskets I already had to organize punches and embossing folders.  See the little boxes on the second shelf from the bottom?  I'm making them as needed to sort my photos. 


Look at this!  The plastic is gone and I have a whole new section of work space.  Jim made this shelf top exactly the right size for my paper cutter and Big Kick.  Paper fits on the shelves below.  The metal framelet dyes are now in a binder.  Hobby Lobby sells sheets of magnets.  I adhered them to cardboard to provide stability and placed them in binders.  It is awesome to be able to open a binder and see all of the different framelets I have to choose from.    The Royal Crown soda case is a great place for my adhesives, embossing powders and other small stuff.  It is one of my favorite parts of the nook.  And the best part is that we already had it, but never had a good use for it.  Now we do!

So there you have it, my new and improved scrapbook room.  It is amazing what a couple can accomplish by working together.  Thank you Jim!  The neat thing is that much of what I already had was repurposed.  I bought a new basket or two.  Jim purchased a few boards, and of course paint, and that was it!  And... it is all about the little touches... the picture doesn't show it well, but the fan blades are painted the same lovely blue as the walls.  Now how cool is that?

Thank you Jim!  I love my new scrapbook nook.




12 comments:

ChicagoLady said...

Very nice! Glad you were able to make it into a workable space again!

betty said...

It looks great and so organized! I like the color you painted the walls Deanna!! Very nicely done!

enjoy your creative space!

betty

Flat Creek Farm said...

You are blessed! I love it that this was a 'together' project too. I adore that soda crate and how it's put to work.. adorable *and* useful. A neat place to work or play is priceless! -Tammy

Queenie Jeannie said...

Oh it looks FANTASTIC!!!! Wowie!! You two did an incredible job! I know a special space makes you smile....inside and out! Have fun and get to craftin', Lady!

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Way cool! That Jim sounds like a keeper!

One of my co-workers gave me a Pepsi wooden case just this week . . now I might know what to do with it.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Oh you lucky girl! This looks so nice!

AliceKay said...

Looks great. You and Jim work well together. :)

Vicki Lane said...

Well done! It's gorgeous!

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

How did I miss this? My notifications button on Wordpress is misbehaving and after I loaded IE 10 my google reader went wonky. I want a room all to myself! A room with no TV! Looks very nice Deanna and inspiring!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Came back for another look! Yours is so pretty and organized and mine is a hot mess, lol!!! Hugs!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Super great transformation girl!!!

May I confess, they say it's good for the soul and all ya know?

I admire those who can be a little outta control ever now and again. 'Wish I could but I'm totally a sick freak when it comes to neat.

Whew....thanks...I feel better now that that's off my chest. Heeehehe!

God bless ya girl and have a remarkable springlike day!!!

Intense Guy said...

You make beautiful cards... and your workspace is most cozy looking - you know what catches my eye? The patina on the round topped stool... it looks like its been a heirloom and treasured for a while.