Sunday, December 21, 2008

Bake Day or "Do you really want to eat these goodies?"

For ten years or so we have had a Bake Day tradition going on. What it amounts to is all us women-folk getting together the Saturday before Christmas to try to bake Christmas goodies. We had two grandkids to contend with on our first bake day. Now there are 10. Nine of the ten made it to this bake day. Can you say Oh My God! By the time we had baked all of our goodies, the kitchen floor was downright dangerous to walk on it was so full of flour. We could hace hosted a dance or something. My dear hubby and son took pity on us women and stuck around to help - for that I am extremely grateful!

Traditionally I try to have something special for my daughters and daughter-in-law. This year deciding on a gift was easy. Our church published a cook book this year and the cover just happened to be the original drawing hubby Jim made that the stained glass window in our church was based on.

I think they really like the cookbook. (son's wife, Alicia, Tessa and Julie) It was wrapped in a decorated kitchen towel.
We just happen to have a Christmas Tree in our bathroom (doesn't everyone?). I didn't quite get all of the decorating done, so my sweet eleven year old granddaughter, Emily, decorated it for me. Thank you Em!

Thirteen month old Reagan is the youngest of the grankids. I tried and tried to get a good picture of her and she just would NOT cooperate. She was a doll all day. And she was the only child there who did not leave germs on the cookies, lol. You'll see what I mean by that as the pictures continue.


This is another picture of Emily. Now she is washing dishes! It seems like she grew up overnight. Just a year or two ago she was making messes with the rest of the grandkids.


Allen, Anna and Dakota spent more time eating than they did helping. I guess they had to keep their strength up for all the hard work.


Travis is twelve and is usually full of mischief. He was so intent on decorating those pretsels that he forgot to cause trouble :)


Now to the messy part of the day. SUGAR COOKIES!

Cara takes over the rolling pin while all the younger ones wield the cutters. Going to stop and tell a story or two here.

See that rolling pin? Many years ago Jim gave that to me as a Christmas present. He wrote a wonderful poem to go with it that basically told me not to use it on him. Dang I'm going to have to find that poem back! He had a local bakery order it for me because I baked so much that I had bent the cheap dime store rolling pin I had. I've always had a thing for making yeast breads and rolls and stuff.

The littles one in the picture below is Austin. He couldn't seem to help himself - everytime he cut a cookie out he had to lick the cutter and we'd wash it. He finally got to the point whee he would cut out a cookie and then hand us the cutter and say "this needs washing", whether he licked it or not - he had me laughing so hard.

Decorating the sugar cookies was a hoot. We had icing and sprinkles everywhere! The cookies will have a sign on them that says "kid baked and decorated - eat at your own risk"


The kids ate and licked their fingers through the day (hence the warning).

Austin is cleaning up the remainis of the Chex Mix (see those cold tootsies there). We ended up with six bags of that stuff! No calories there.


Cara is my sweetheart. Even though she is nine, she still takes time to snuggle with me everytime we are together. She just curls up next to me and says "Grandma, we need our snuggle time"


Like I said, they ate their way through the day. Cara eating.


See Anna licking her fingers? She is getting ready to pick up more sprinkles. The moisture helps ya know. (Allen looks shocked lol). That is my son, Greg to the left there.

James drinking a sodaJames drank his way through the day. It didn't matter a bit who the soda can belonged to either. He was an equal opportunity mooch.

Ah! I even caught Emily in the act!

What did we bake? Massive amounts of Chex Mix, four batches of fudge, 6 batches of molasses cookies, 3 batches of sugar cookies, 4 batches of chocolate chip cookies, and a bunch of dipped pretzels. Hmmmmm I think I forgot something, but that is enough.

Damn I'm a lucky lady!

17 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Ten grandkids making a mess of her Kitchen and she thinks she's a mean grandma... LMAO - I don't see any evidence of such a thing at all - nary a clue nor hint of it...

All I see are wonderful children and grandchildren all hangin' out with their granny making delicious goodies...and I'll even go so far as to say those "kid prepared" cookies will soon be gone and everyone will think they were the best of the lot.

:)

*hugs the kitchen invasion surviver*

AliceKay said...

Wow....what an awesome family you have there. Looks like a lot of fun. (i think my nerves would be shot by the end of the day tho) Great pics, Punkn. :)

LadyStyx said...

Looks like a great time was had by all.

Intense Guy said...

I wonder if anyone can name the missing grandchild...

Toriz said...

Our kitchen gets in heck of a mess with just me and my Mam baking, I can only imagine the mess you had to clean!!!

Still, I'm sure everyone had fun, and I'm sure everyone is going to enjoy eating all those goodies!

ChicagoLady said...

What a fun way to spend the day! I'm sure all the treats will be delicious, because they were baked with love.

Karla said...

What a great day you must of had!!! Looks like so much fun. I only have 2 sisters and one I don't speak to and the other would never get her hands "dirty" cooking like that! and my kids..well one is in NE Arkansas and the other does all my cooking anyway!
But looks like you all had a wonderful time! Maybe next year I can be a fly on the wall (just don't swat me lol)

junyah said...

Its what the last line say's Damm im a lucky lady and YES ,punkn you are...great Family you have there, dont change a thing.. JR

Queenie Jeannie said...

Oh honey! Those are wonderful pictures!!!! You have a great (big!) family!

Yes, you are very lucky indeed!

The Wife O Riley said...

I can't tell you how many cherished memories I have cooking in my grandmother's kitchen. I just wish someone had taken such nice pictures as you have.

sexy41 said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful day with your grown Children and your grandchildern. You are a wonderful loving grandma. I so wish I was part of your family. You have a beautiful family punkn.

The Wife O Riley said...

I gave you an award, come on by.

Deanna said...

(((((Iggy))))) Remember, my other name is silly grandma (Oo does that mean I have a personality disorder?) Those "kid prepared" cookies are the only of the lot! lol, eat them or go hungry!
I can name the missing grandkid (of course) and I'll bet you can too...
(((((AK))))))If you have nerves when you begin a day like this, you won't at the end. I have no nerves left! Lovin' every minute of the freedom.
(((((Styxie))))) That it was!
(((((Tori))))) My kitchen is STILL a mess. You volunteering to help clean it????
(((((((Chicago)))))Thanks hun and you are right (as always...)
(((((Karla))))) Does your kid rent out? I'll have a mini camcorder made for my fly on the wall!
(((((Junya)))))) special hugs to you. Enjoy that new grandone of yours! What fun you will have this Christmas!
(((((Jeanne))))) Thank you hun and we do have to treasure every moment, don't we!
(((((Wifey))))) You have the pictures - they are permanently burned in your mind and heart.
((((((Sexy)))))) Thank you sweet lady. And you are part of my family (all of you are). I wouldn't be sharing these memories with you if you weren't!

Deanna said...

Oh! And the missing grandchild is my step-grandchild, Cody. He became part of our family when he was three. He is 11 now. He lives in St. Louis with his mom and we see him only a few times a year. I wish with all my heart I could have more time with him. But what is, is. I love him no less. He is a very special young man.

Lainie said...

I would eat those goodies...licked fingers and all. LOL That's what families are all about. I kind of miss baking Christmas cookies with my mom when I was young. Might have to resurrect that tradition.

MarmiteToasty said...

Goodness.... just goodness lmfao

x

spacegirl60 said...

It is so much fun to do things with the grandkids! Love your pictures and thank you for sharing.