Thursday, December 25, 2008

Cutting it close... and mean grandma backfired

I did most of my Christmas shopping over the internet this year. Travis asked for the Twilight Saga set of books. By the time I got around to ordering them, they were nowhere to be found. The quickest ship date I could find was from Barnes and Nobles. They promised to ship by December 30th. I fumed and fretted and then thought, "ya know Deanna, luck is usually on your side. Order the damn books and they will get here on time". So that is what I did. Four days before Christmas I got an email saying the books shipped! Alright! I knew luck would be on my side! So then I started tracking their progress... and Christmas Eve came... and no books. Oh shit, I'm in trouble now. So I check the tracking again and it showed they were on the truck heading this way. We don't get much traffic on this road but everytime I heard a truck I thought - the books are here! And everytime I was disappointed. Finally 5:45 came. The kids were to be here around 6:00. Oh boy did I mess up this time! So, I sit down to write a sweet note to Travis letting him know his Christmas present is a very special one and would be a few days late. I walk out of the bedroom with my note in hand and in walks Jim with a box in his hand (UPS came through!) and Travis behind him. I grabbed the box, went back into the bedroom and wrapped it and put it under the tree. Has anyone else ever cut it quite this close in getting a present?
Remember the mean Grandma post? One of the things that made me a "mean grandma" was this:

The evening was great - until I let them play pool unsupervised. By the time I got downstairs, the floor was covered with baby powder. The powder is there for the hands so the pool cue slides easily, which generated Rule 2.

2. You don't let the pool cue powder get anywhere except your hands.Mean grandma's punishment? If you need powder on your hands for the rest of the weekend, there is plenty on the floor. LOL you should have seen the hand prints - including mine of course. Dang if I was going to let perfectly good powder go to waste! The floor is concrete so it made no difference - I just wanted them to learn to be more careful in the future.


So last night Dakota's dad comes upstairs and says to me, "Did you tell Dakota that the right way to powder his hands for playing pool is to pour the powder on the floor and then put his hand in it? I'm like, Huh? He says, "Yea, we were getting ready to play pool and he took the powder and poured some on the floor. I asked what the heck he was doing and he said, this is how Grandma said it is done". OMG I was laughing so hard that I couldn't explain!

We had a wonderful Christmas eve, and I'll post more (including pictures of course) soon!

13 comments:

AliceKay said...

LOL...that Dakota sounds like a cutie. LOL

You were cutting it pretty close but it's great the books arrived in time for you to give to Travis. Way to go, grandma (and UPS).

*loves seeing pics* :)

Akum said...

Love you blog. Its very fun!

Queenie Jeannie said...

LOL!! That's funny!

I can't wait to see your pics!!!

ChicagoLady said...

LMAO @ Dakota for pouring the powder on the floor first!

*I think grandma needs to explain things a bit better next time*

Since I'm a procrastinator, I'm sure I've had something delivered on the 24th. This year my last packaged arrived on the 23rd. So I'm getting better at it in my old age, lol.

Toriz said...

LMAO @ Dakota! I guess you didn't explain properly... LOL!

Deanna said...

((((AK)))) He really is a cutie. I could do a whole blog on him. I cut it this close one other time. The Postman actually brought a package to our door on Christmas Eve. He knew us personally and figured the package was a present - and he was right...
Hey Travel. Welcome! I'm glad you enjoy my blog. I'll be checking yours out real soon. Hope you come back (and comment) often!
(((Queenie))) No way will the pictures be as good as yours!
(((Chicago))) Grandma definitely needs to give clear instructions.
(((Tori))) LOL sure seems that way!

sexy41 said...

Well you did tell him how it was done. LOL. So cute. I have never cut it that close. Wow someone was on your side Punkn to get it on time.

Hugs

Anonymous said...

well mean ole grandma, you did tell them to use the powder that they spilled on the floor. make up your mind lol sheesh

The Wife O Riley said...

Kids take things so literally! LOL!!

I cut quite a few things a little too close for comfort this year as well. I don't know why I do it to myself. I must like the adreneline rush.

Intense Guy said...

I hope that "mean granny" got a nice big bottle of talc for the pool room for Christmas! Perhaps something in the 5 gallon size.

...and maybe some tums for dealing with the last minute deliveries!

I got stuck with a gift on backorder - it might get here in time for New Years eve. LOL - it won't matter since the gift is for someone over 65 and they won't mind.

*Hugs* I hope you had a great time! I know I did!

Deanna said...

(((landy))) that I did...
(((wifey))) Is that why we do such things? The adrenaline rush? Who needs it!
((((Iggy))))You get the award since the gift you ordered never even arrived. LOL @ 5 gallons of powder.

LadyStyx said...

*lafffz*!!!

Lainie said...

My kids Christmas gifts (tickets to a Boston Bruins Game)arrived here in the mail on Tuesday afternoon. I was also sweating it just a tad. But I made up a card for them both with Burins pictures all over it so they knew it would just be a matter of time.