Saturday, December 27, 2008

I dare say everyone knows who Dean Martin is. But how about Foster Brooks?
Foster Brooks was a comedian who was most famous for his portrayal of a lovable drunken man. He was a regular on the Dean Martin Variety Show and played the role of Mindy's boss (I originally incorrectly said he played her father but Chicago caught me on that lol) on the Mork and Mindy show (now that is defintely a blast from the past...). For years I thought he really was always drunk. It turns out that he had battled alcoholism and drew on that for his act. However, according to Wikipedia, during the time of his greatest fame in the 1960's, he rarely drank.
"Of giving up drinking to win a bet in 1964, Brooks said, "Fellow made me a $10 bet I couldn't quit, and I haven't had a drink since. At the time I needed the $10."


Someone sent me the following clip of Dean Martin and Foster Brooks and I just had to share it with you. I had forgotten what a really funny comedian he was. It is titled "The Airline Pilot". I hope you enjoy it!

12 comments:

ChicagoLady said...

That was hysterical! I love watching those old varieties from the 60's and 70's. Curious about him being Mindy's father on Mork & Mindy. I remember someone who doesn't look at all like this guy being Mindy's father. I'll have to go look that up, lol.

ChicagoLady said...

According to Wikipedia, he played Mr. Sternhagen, Mindya' boss. Her father was played by Conrad Janis.

http://www.conradjanis.com/

ChicagoLady said...

Mindy's not Mindya'

Deanna said...

Oops! That is what I meant... Mindy's BOSS! lol I can't get anything right!!!!!!! Thanks for checking that out.

The Wife O Riley said...

Owning the entire collection of the Dean Martin Roasts, Foster Brooks is one of our favorites.

Also, according to the Rat Pack movie that HBO did about 10 years ago, Dean Martin never drank on stage, he used apple juice or tea. He just played that he was drunk.

Anonymous said...

Jonathan Winters was Mork and Mindy's son.

Karla said...

I've always loved Foster Brooks! He's hysterically funny and always reminded me of my uncle (who really was drunk all the time)

AliceKay said...

I've always loved that guy but I guess I never knew his name, or didn't remember it. Either way, that was great, Punkn. LOL I noticed Dean Martin was laughing so hard he had tears. (Karen and I do that a lot....did just again Christmas Day after dinner) LOL

Akum said...

That was hilarious! Loved watching it... Thanks for sharing the clip..Catch you later

junyah said...

Johnny Carson said that Forster Brooks was the first man on his show to ever leave him speachless. Thanks for that Clip Punkies . .Hugs ya JR

Ausgrl said...

You know a comedian is good when the host cracks up and cannot complete the skit for laughing. Thankyou punkn that was a blast from the past. I remember Foster Brooks from my childhood watching skits. My parents alwasy loved watching anything to make you laugh. Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, Abbot and Costello, The Three Stooges, George Burns, Charlie Chaplin the list of greats goes on forever. Noone could ever come close.

sexy41 said...

I so do remember Foster Brooks and so does Jay. We enjoyed watching the Vid, it brought back many of memories of watching that show. Thank you for sharing.