Friday, March 19, 2010

More Memphis

This post is long overdue.  I left for a trip to Arizona to visit my sister shortly after our trip to Memphis.  My head is spinning with all of this travel.  I’m looking forward to catching up on everyone’s blogs in the next few days.

Now back to Memphis!  When I saw Uncle Cy, I couldn’t help it. I had to cry.  I hadn’t seen him in quite a few years.

I hadn’t seen my cousins in a long time either. 

Memories came flooding back to me.

006

I remembered how special I felt the Christmas Uncle Cy gave me my walking doll.  My sis’ godfather, Uncle Tom, gave her one just like it in a blue dress.  We played with those dolls forever.  She still has hers  too.  Mine is minus eyelashes on one eye and is a little cockeyed because the internal rubber band that holds everything together is rotten.  Kathleen says hers is missing two fingers. So, like the rest of us, the dolls are showing the signs of age after all these years.

  020

Thank you Uncle Cy for being the best of everything and giving me such wonderful memories.

023

My cousin, Linda, is a cancer survivor, like me. So of course we spent a bit  of time comparing  notes.  We came to the conclusion that we are both happy to be alive and are doing great.

I remember Linda as the “cool” older cousin.  She lived in St. Louis when we were growing up.  When we’d visit, I was in awe of her.  She had the most awesome Beetles collection.  I mean…. this was music I wasn’t allowed to listen to!  But there  wasn’t much mom and dad could do about it when we visited Uncle Cy’s place.  That would have been rude.  So, I would lay sprawled out on the floor in Linda’s bed room, listening to her records, pretending I was older and sophisticated like her.  I believe she is all of four or five years older than me, but that just seemed so sophisticated to me!

            024

Lisa is one of my younger cousins.  She mentioned in her comment on my “Conversation With Uncle Cy” post that our many cousins fall into two groups… older and younger.  I always thought of it that way too, only I always thought of us as three groups.  Older, middle,youngest.  Bottom line is that I didn’t know Lisa all that well because I fit into the other age group, but yet I feel like I know her very well. Strange.

Lisa, having grown up in Memphis, has the most delightful southern accent and charm.   Her dad lives with her and her husband and sweet little daughter.

 

Even though they had plans for the night we visited, she treated us as royal guests, even to the point of driving the royal coach to track us down when we got  lost.  I have no idea how she made it to their event that night, but she made it seem like no big deal.

021

Uncle Cy reminds me of mom.  He is as high strung as they come, just like mom was.  When he came to greet me, with his hands fluttering through the air, I realized just how much family matters and how alike, yet different, we all are. He took us for a tour of his space, and then outside to see the view.

 

Then we were introduced to Muse Inspired Fashions.

Lisa owns one of the neatest shops I have ever been in.  It is a high end boutique, located in downtown Memphis, called Muse Inspired Fashions.  Even though she was on a tight schedule, she took time to give us a tour of her boutique.  Wow.

025

Don’t you just love the colors?

026

Her mannequins are salvaged castaways.  They add a lot of charm to her shop.

027

Talk about unique dressing rooms.  Imagine the luxury of a 10 ft. x 10 ft. dressing area, surrounded by velvet curtains.  I couldn’t help imagine sitting in that soft easy chair sipping on a glass of wine, while clothing was brought to me to admire.

030

Old mixed with new gives this shop the perfect funky look.

I stole this little blurb from her website

Founded in 2003 by Lisa Doss, MUSE, Inspired Fashions has quickly become a staple for Memphians and a destination for tourists. MUSE has been mentioned in Glamour, Southern Living, Air France and Northwest Airlines In-flight magazine. Miss Muse (Lisa Doss) has appeared on B. Smith with Style, MTV's Made, and Ambush Makeover. She has worked with stylist for Martina McBride and Reese Witherspoon and personally assisted Joaquim Phoenix, Buddy Jewel and Isaac Hayes.

MUSE, Inspired Fashions provides unique fashions for the Funky Diva and Metrosexual Male along with great customer support - a combination that can't be beat!
Through our commitment, experience, and expertise, MUSE Inspired Fashions has established a relationship with our customers that combines stylist, friend and personal assistant.

My Memphis family is wonderful and unique!

16 comments:

AliceKay said...

What a wonderful family get-together. Uncle Cy looks great. And Lisa sounds like a wonderful cousin. I'm glad you had such a great time while there. Thanks for sharing your pics with us. *hugs*

AliceKay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AliceKay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AliceKay said...

Sorry...Blogger hates me tonight. Took three tries before the darn comment posted, and then it showed up three times. :( Glad to see you back home safe and sound. (i'm going to bed now...had enough for one day) *hugs*

betty said...

Uncle Cy looks like a wonderful uncle! What a great family you have and all the fantastic memories you were able to make in your trip! In your pictures, you can see the love all have for each other :)

betty

Rural Rambler said...

Deanna your post just made me smile this morning. From your memories of laying on the floor chatting and listening to the Beatles with your St. Lou cousin, your doll, your Uncle Cy(what a wonderful smile) and the beautiful shop your cousin owns. How great to be in Southern Living, etc.!! I can tell just how much fun this trip was for you in this post :)

MarmiteToasty said...

Oh what a beautiful family you have...... wanna adopt me LOL

x

Toriz said...

Beautiful post, sounds like you have some great memories, and like you just added a few more great memories to the pile while on your trip. :)

Queenie Jeannie said...

Wow!! So much wonderfullness all in one post!! You have a blessed family and more importantly, you know it! Hugs all around!!!!

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

OMG that shop looks like NY City stuff!

Mom talked about talking to someone that knew us. She said his wife talks to you on your computer and he fishes with Bernie. I figured it was Jim.

Glad you got in on the giveaway.

Love this weather? NOT

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

That's just the cutest pic of you and your Uncle. I had a very special Uncle growin' up. Thanks for sharin' your crazy...Ooops...unique family with us. Heeeheehhe!

God bless and enjoy your weekend!!!

Anonymous said...

Im so glad that you go to visit your family and you had a wonderful time, I loved that lil store wow it is beautiful, thanks so much for sharing hugsssss

Anonymous said...

Good day

We do not agree with this year Brit awards decision.

Please visit our little web survey

http://micropoll.com/t/KDqOnZBCWt

Lady Gaga can not be better than heavy metal

Poll supported by BRIT awards 2010 sponsor femmestyle
[url=http://www.femmestyle.ch/schoenheitschirurgie/brustverkleinerung/index.html]brustverkleinerung[/url]

Do you have a burning question we could ask all the stars at The BRIT Awards?

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

My hubby and I got to meet your hubby in person today!! You guy have to cruise out and visit with us.

Intense Guy said...

Uncle Cy looks like he really enjoyed seeing you!!

I was wondering.... would you and your sister want to have your dolls visit the Doll Doctor?

LadyStyx said...

What a wonderful visit. Love the store. It reminds me of the April Cornell boutique I used to work in when I was living in Pennsylvania.... only MUSE looks alot more spacious inside.